Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293518 times)

Offline jaclaw

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
I REALLLY like the latest design. I'm on both forums and am sure that these will be a hit on both. Good job! 

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »
Lay the bike on it's side already man, I want to see how it works and what will touch...
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: agreed!

Really like the design Ryan, and thanks for the work on these. I worry that the bars do not go down low enough, but pics on it's side would really help.

Thanks.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »
Ryan, very nice work so far.  As per previous posts, sidebag guards will be needed to supplement the tipover protection afforded by the bars up front. However, on your company's website I can only find sidebag guards listed for 2008-2009 models. The photos you have posted of 2010 model has sidebag guards installed. Do the guards shown on your website also fit 2010 and newer models?  And what do they cost?
2010 C14 ABS

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
Lay the bike on it's side already man, I want to see how it works and what will touch...

That'll be coming early next week once we finalize the bar and get it welded up properly! Stay tuned...

Ryan, visually speaking the thing that distracts from the design is that the joint where the vertical bar meets the lower horizontal bar has no curve as the other directional changes do. Both ends just terminate at the mounting flange. Could not this be a one piece bar with flange welded to the inside radius of the bend at the mounting flange? If necessary this could have a small gussett for strength and a matching gusset in the upper left bend for looks. I hope I'm getting my meaning across.

You're definitely getting your meaning across, I know precisely what you mean! The original reason we had it designed this way was so the bar could be taken off relatively quickly with ease. I like you're idea but it may be a pricier change than it sounds like it would be. Instead, I'm thinking of having them change the lower horizontal bar so it meets the vertical bar at the mounting flange instead of slightly above it. This would help give that section of the bar a more rounded look which I believe was your goal.

I REALLLY like the latest design. I'm on both forums and am sure that these will be a hit on both. Good job!

Sweeeeeet!

Really like the design Ryan, and thanks for the work on these. I worry that the bars do not go down low enough, but pics on it's side would really help.

Thanks.

We've tilted the bike over already, I just couldn't get photos of it because I was one of the people supporting the bike. Granted it was an older design we had but the position of the horizontal bar was the same. I can definitely say the bar does extend far enough down and protects the bike really well. Once we get this design finalized I'll be sure to tilt it over again and get photos this time for you!

Ryan, very nice work so far.  As per previous posts, sidebag guards will be needed to supplement the tipover protection afforded by the bars up front. However, on your company's website I can only find sidebag guards listed for 2008-2009 models. The photos you have posted of 2010 model has sidebag guards installed. Do the guards shown on your website also fit 2010 and newer models?  And what do they cost?

Hmmm, that is really weird! The #1400-300 (small rears for the 2008-2009) do work on the 2010+ models but we made a newer version (#1400-310) to match the 7/8" diameter bathroom bars we made for the 2010-2012 bikes. Therefore the #1400-300 is 1" and the #1400-310 is 7/8", however, the wall thickness is the same for both. That's the only difference between the two. The small saddlebag guards for both models are currently $175 MSRP.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »
Instead, I'm thinking of having them change the lower horizontal bar so it meets the vertical bar at the mounting flange instead of slightly above it. This would help give that section of the bar a more rounded look which I believe was your goal.

+1.  I was going to post the same request- please have the lower meet at the lowest point in the front, not above the bolt.  It is somehow messing up the lines.  Also, it looks like the rear mount ear is not straight with the rest of the lower bar.  Could be just because it is a mockup.  Could be it is just an optical illusion.  Could be because you are trying to clear something else I don't see.  Or it could just be wrong :)

Thanks for the additional pics.  Amazingly minimal from the front and top angles.  (It is a bit hard to filter out the green tape in my mind, though... wish you color matched a bit more ;) ) One angle missing- 45 degrees to the front.

One thing is for sure, it looks like an incredibly strong configuration (much more so than your bathroom bars).

Another question (I do tend to have lots):  On the back mounting point, is that ear touching the metal on the bike, or hovering off the bike?  How much clearance is there?  On a more forceful tipover, if the bar is pushed in a bit, will the front of that ear push in and gouge the bike's aluminum?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »
I like em, quick Q?  Stainless?  If so I'd do a brushed finish and call it good.  But, I do own Silverdammit, no need for cutesy colors ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
I like em, quick Q?  Stainless?  If so I'd do a brushed finish and call it good.  But, I do own Silverdammit, no need for cutesy colors ;D

Interesting.  A brushed (satin) stainless option would probably look even better on my [true] silver C14 as compared to chrome.  However, stainless steel is tremendously weaker than what they are probably using, and a lot more expensive.  And I don't think they can just "plate" the stronger steel with stainless.  I think if you wanted that look, you would have to go with a grey/silver-tone powder coat of some type.  And in your case, if you were going to go with a custom color like that, then you might as well match your light [neutron] blue.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:14 PM »

Interesting.  A brushed (satin) stainless option would probably look even better on my [true] silver C14 as compared to chrome.  However, stainless steel is tremendously weaker than what they are probably using, and a lot more expensive.  And I don't think they can just "plate" the stronger steel with stainless.  I think if you wanted that look, you would have to go with a grey/silver-tone powder coat of some type.  And in your case, if you were going to go with a custom color like that, then you might as well match your light [neutron] blue.

You guys should buy the "raw" ones Ryan mentioned and then have them paint matched to your bike, then it would really blend in nicely... Do it right or don't do it has always been my way of thought...

Just take em to your painter and tell them to get the slowest paint off the shelf, it will be a perfect match!  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
Uber strength isn't what I need, IMNSHO if I were to go down at speed the bike is pretty screwed anyway, I do want tough, to potentially handle multiple drops, at slow parking lot type speeds..  Not to brag, but I like doing the dreaded "Box" one handed, left and right, what I want to do is inside the 20' section one handed and other such things.  I'd also like to drag a knee, at slow speed, one handed.  Differant physics at work and a challenge I want to do.  Why?  High speed offs get painfull and expensive, well, quickly.  I'd also like to push the envelope on braking, find the far side of good, wet and dry.  These cages look like the answer I have been looking for, scratched stainless looks far better than scratched paint.  Not a poke (for a change ;D) My 14 is a high smile utillity vehicle, looks are secondary.  Function over form.  Heck, I'd like to see some short rear versions as I don't do the one handed stuff with them bags on.
Both front and rear would make some great camera points as a bonus :)

Offline wendel

« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
I got my bars to practice slow speed manuevers also and to see how tight of a turn around I can get. I do not want the fear of dropping the bike to cause me to be too conservative.

I know the C14 does not belong to you Ryan but just gently laying it on its side was not the reason for my purchase. I would like to see a drop test as was done with the original bars.  I wonder if the mirrors would be protected in that type of drop or slow speed parking lot drop.
2012 C14

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2012, 07:53:46 AM »
I got my bars to practice slow speed manuevers also and to see how tight of a turn around I can get. I do not want the fear of dropping the bike to cause me to be too conservative.

I know the C14 does not belong to you Ryan but just gently laying it on its side was not the reason for my purchase. I would like to see a drop test as was done with the original bars.  I wonder if the mirrors would be protected in that type of drop or slow speed parking lot drop.
I'm going to bet the owner will not sign off on that.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
I'm going to bet the owner will not sign off on that.

I certainly wouldn't if it were mine!

Offline astros50

« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »
Holy cow!  What a responsive business!  I am impressed beyond belief.

Ryan, you've got my CC # and address. Go ahead and put me down for the first set that comes off the line. Im only joking because i know MC Enterprises isn't the kind of company that would charge before they have a product ready to sell.

The tough decision is now going to be powder black to match my small bag guards, or raw and ready for silver powder coat. I'll have to strip and powder the rears too.

MCE have ruined it for every company I deal with from now on.  They're platinum level.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #273 on: April 07, 2012, 04:56:05 AM »
Ryan,

I know that you can't please everyone and I appreciate all of your efforts.  A lot of people like what you have came up with. I was hoping for a design that followed the lines of the bike but I do understand why you have gone the route that you have.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline 10ecjazzman

« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2012, 07:35:17 AM »
I am new to the forum and have had my 2011 C14 since last August. I purchased MC enterprises crash bars for my wife's Honda VT 750 Shadow. They fit great and MC enterprises was the only place to get them. I am thrilled that you took this project on. It is really cool for a company to let potential, and returning, customers have some input on product design. Great job, and yes ...you can put me down for set as well....black of course...but I don't want get  that discussion started !  :D
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because  they have to say something - Plato

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »
I am new to the forum[...]...you can put me down for set as well....black of course...but I don't want get  that discussion started !  :D

Ah, you are not as new to the forum as you portray, then ;)

Offline GordonM

« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
I also wish the bars had followed more of the lines of the body work.  Shown in the following pictures overlayed with in the existing MC crash bars I have installed now, is an idea for a single bar 1 1/2" dia. tubing, 2 bends.  Front point falls in a good spot to get a cross bar in front of the motor above the headers.  I was planning on working on this for my personal use when the weather gets warmer, but MC started their development.  I sure like the cleaner one piece bar look much better.

Gordon 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:17:08 PM by GordonM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
I also wish the bars had followed more of the lines of the body work.  Shown in the following pictures overlayed with in the existing MC crash bars I have installed now, is an idea for a single bar 1 1/2" dia. tubing, 2 bends.  Front point falls in a good spot to get a cross bar in front of the motor above the headers.  I was planning on working on this for my personal use when the weather gets warmer, but MC started their development.  I sure like the cleaner one piece bar look much better.

I am fairly sure they have thrown out any one-bar design at this point.  It looks like you are essentially just designing your own "Top Block" type bar that will require modifying the lower fairing.

Certainly, this has merit- the 2010+ Top Block is nowhere near as attractive as the older model, and it is very, very expensive and hard to obtain.  Like others, I am torn between that simple, light, unobtrusive design, and the much more visible and complex current design path that McE is taking (the Concours Canyon Cage).  For me, the bathroom bars were never even an option.  The currently proposed McE design is probably much MORE protection than the Top Block design, but that is not necessarily what I was looking for.  Also, it is really pushing the limit of my acceptance for visibility.

Maybe McE would be interested in designing yet another product, their own Top Block clone, perhaps only as a bar (without any slider/plastic).  Probably best when combined with the rear bars.  That would eliminate the price and availability disadvantages of the Top Block.  But I don't think that is going to happen, now.

Decisions, decisions...

Offline wendel

« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »
Doesn't look to like it would prevent the bike from falling over on the upper fairing and mirrors. The GSG bars are useless in my opinion because they still allow damage to the bike. For me, the bike needs to be protected at drops which are done at low speed manuevers.
2012 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »
Doesn't look to like it would prevent the bike from falling over on the upper fairing and mirrors. For me, the bike needs to be protected at drops which are done at low speed maneuvers.

You didn't quote anyone.  What doesn't look like it would prevent upper fairing damage?  The proposed canyon cage?  The Top Block?  A single horizontal bar?

If you are talking about the Top Block or a single horizontal bar, if the bike lands on it (which it should, based on previous discussions and photos), then it will protect the lower and top fairings.... as long as the bike doesn't roll over/pivot on it.  And that can probably be prevented by also installing the rear bars (which is what I would recommend with any "solution").