Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 294012 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
It looks great to me Ryan. I really hope that this design will work on the '08/'09 models or that you can get one of these in your shop SOON.

Awesome! Yea, I have a few people lined up to test this bar out for us once it's done. If, after their testing, it's determined that the bar wont fit then we'll begin looking for a bike closer to us that we can bring in. If worst comes to worst I can always hit up our contact down at Kawasaki corporate. They've loaned us bikes in the past, it's just a long haul from where we're located.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
I like it. Are you still going with a slider on it?

I think I found my solution for scuffing and scraping. I am going to Rhino line the bars before I install them. Thoughts?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »

I think I found my solution for scuffing and scraping. I am going to Rhino line the bars before I install them. Thoughts?

Yep, I do have some thoughts on this. It's like when I bought my truck. I was all set to get a sprayed on bedliner first thing. Then I got to thinking. Why not wait till the bed gets messed up a bit first and then get the bedliner sprayed on? Why not wait and see if you drop your bike first and then put the Rhino stuff on? You have to scuff it up first anyways right?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
I like it. Are you still going with a slider on it?

I believe as of now we've scrapped the slider idea but I'm still looking around for an appropriate bumper that'll work. The thing is, I don't want to incorporate one just to say it has one. If I can't make it look like it belongs there, I'd rather not have it there at all. I'm still trying to find a suitable bumper though...

Rhino Lining is actually an interesting idea. Would you do that on top of the powder coating or would you have it stripped then cover it with the Rhino Lining? I have a feeling that stuff would still get scuffed up if you went down at any type of speed but it'd sure as hell be easy to cover up! Either way, I find the Rhino Lining idea intriguing...

@Conrad: We could always send him an unfinished one to Rhino Line! ;)
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
I like the latest, as soon as we know whethor it will fit a gen1 or not, I'm in, and I would prefer an unfinished set, I spent too much time and money on power to lose some to the power robbing darkness known as black ;D  If it would help, I'd be a guinea pig to see if they fit, no additional discount required, I'd pay whatever the going rate is.  And FWIW, I wouldnt mind a minor mod to the plastic.  I would like to really push the envelope on slow speed skills, these would help me ride a little loser, knowing things would be OK in a slow speed tip over.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »
I like the latest, as soon as we know whethor it will fit a gen1 or not, I'm in, and I would prefer an unfinished set, I spent too much time and money on power to lose some to the power robbing darkness known as black ;D  If it would help, I'd be a guinea pig to see if they fit, no additional discount required, I'd pay whatever the going rate is.  And FWIW, I wouldnt mind a minor mod to the plastic.  I would like to really push the envelope on slow speed skills, these would help me ride a little loser, knowing things would be OK in a slow speed tip over.

Awesome! It sounds like most of you really dig the latest design! We can definitely hook you up with a raw set, too, if that's what you want. Once we get to the stage of testing this bar out on an '08/'09, I'll PM you and we can further discuss you testing out the bar for us! I appreciate your willingness to test the bar for us, though! You'd really be helping us out along with a bunch of other forum goers who are wondering if these will fit on the earlier generation!

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
I'm for the 1st generation (08-09) also.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Son of Pappy

« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
Awesome! It sounds like most of you really dig the latest design! We can definitely hook you up with a raw set, too, if that's what you want. Once we get to the stage of testing this bar out on an '08/'09, I'll PM you and we can further discuss you testing out the bar for us! I appreciate your willingness to test the bar for us, though! You'd really be helping us out along with a bunch of other forum goers who are wondering if these will fit on the earlier generation!
Thanks Ryan, and I mean, thanks for everything.  Have you looked into Murphs as a distributor in the future?  Top shelf family run buisness with a strong following 'round these parts.  Can't say enough good about them.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
Thanks Ryan, and I mean, thanks for everything.  Have you looked into Murphs as a distributor in the future?  Top shelf family run buisness with a strong following 'round these parts.  Can't say enough good about them.

You're welcome, bud! I actually have never heard of Murphs. I'll look into them though and see if perhaps they'd be interested in carrying these bars for us as it seems they're going to be really popular. Also, you can never have too many vendors! Thanks for the heads up!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
Yep, I do have some thoughts on this. It's like when I bought my truck. I was all set to get a sprayed on bedliner first thing. Then I got to thinking. Why not wait till the bed gets messed up a bit first and then get the bedliner sprayed on? Why not wait and see if you drop your bike first and then put the Rhino stuff on? You have to scuff it up first anyways right?

That's actually a good point C. What's up with you bro, that's 2 in one month!  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »

That's actually a good point C. What's up with you bro, that's 2 in one month!  :o

No way J, the last good idea I had was in March, this is April's good idea. I'm good for the rest of the month now.  :chugbeer:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Why not wait and see if you drop your bike first and then put the Rhino stuff on? You have to scuff it up first anyways right?

Good point!

I can't stop waking up in the middle of the night thinking of these things.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »
Thanks, Mal! Anyone else have any opinions on the newest design? If not, I think we may begin finalizing this bar and getting it ready to be finished!

Well, keep in mind that most of us have to work during the day and don't see these postings until we get home from work :)

I think your explanation of the easy removal works for me.  Inotherwords, I think you convinced me that it is not going to be tons of work to remove them.

As for the design, I do like the looks.  It is a bit more complex and heavy looking than I would have initially preferred, but I think I can roll with it.  I have a user group meeting in 30 min tonight and won't get home until late and it sounds like a "done deal" now, so I am not sure my input matters now  :)   Besides, I would have to stare at it and ponder a lot, and see photos from all different angles to really form a good opinion any anything.

I am glad you are scraping the slider, I just think it will look crazy sticking way out.  A nice, sturdy, plastic cap over the bolt is probably all you need.  My only real concern is that if the bottom front is the most likely impact point, could the tubing around the recessed bolt get easily damaged, making it impossible to remove the bolt?!!?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
OMG!! Not someone with actual SKILLS that is willing to publicize it on the fourm?

Sorry! It just slipped out! I'll try harder to hide the many other skills that I have.   ;D
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
I own a 2011 C14 and love it a lot, but to me an "ultimate long distance/touring bike" this isn't. That's a Goldwing (and I have owned one in the past) or BMW equivalent. The C14's hand-numbing grips take the "ultimate" part out of the equation for me.

That"s your opinion which you are entitled to, I am not of the same opinion, I had a 800+ lb pig and it does not fit "ultimate anything" for me, except maybe 2-up. Just as others would feel a Harley fits that bill for them, it is their opinion.

Remember, opinions are like gasholes,we all have one.  :chugbeer:

Ryan, That second horizontal bar looks great. Looking forward to the ready to order date. John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
Well, keep in mind that most of us have to work during the day and don't see these postings until we get home from work :)

I think your explanation of the easy removal works for me.  Inotherwords, I think you convinced me that it is not going to be tons of work to remove them.

As for the design, I do like the looks.  It is a bit more complex and heavy looking than I would have initially preferred, but I think I can roll with it.  I have a user group meeting in 30 min tonight and won't get home until late and it sounds like a "done deal" now, so I am not sure my input matters now  :)   Besides, I would have to stare at it and ponder a lot, and see photos from all different angles to really form a good opinion any anything.

I am glad you are scraping the slider, I just think it will look crazy sticking way out.  A nice, sturdy, plastic cap over the bolt is probably all you need.  My only real concern is that if the bottom front is the most likely impact point, could the tubing around the recessed bolt get easily damaged, making it impossible to remove the bolt?!!?

That's okay about the people not seeing the posts til they get off of work. As of now, the current design is merely tacked into place waiting to be finalized on Monday so it's not difficult to change things around. I wanted to give you guys the weekend to check out what we've done so far and come up with ways to improve it as we're not open on the weekends. I'll go out there shortly and take 5 or 6 different photos from different angles so you guys have as much to discuss as possible over the next few days. That way we can come in on Monday, change what we need to change based on the discussions, then finalize the baby and get it off to the finishers!

Yea, I don't think there's much else we can do to quicken the removal of the bars. Like I said, as it is, they only take a few minutes per side to remove which really isn't bad.

As for the bolt being stuck in there in the case of an accident, I don't think we have to worry about that much, for a few reasons. Firstly, the part where the bike actually hits first is back more towards the horizontal bar. Second, The bolt is actually flush with the mounting point so it'd be difficult for the material to go over the bolt and hold it in there. Yea, I don't think the hardware getting jammed in there is much to worry about personally.

Anyway, I'll go out there and get some more pictures of various angles of the current design for you guys!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Here are some extra photos for you guys! I tried to get some various angles and distances but there's only so many ways I can shoot the same product! I hope these photos give you guys enough insight into the product to come up with any last-minute recommendations or opinions! The bar is still easily modifiable at this point but come Monday, we'll begin making the final tweaks and changes!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
Lay the bike on it's side already man, I want to see how it works and what will touch...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
Ryan, visually speaking the thing that distracts from the design is that the joint where the vertical bar meets the lower horizontal bar has no curve as the other directional changes do. Both ends just terminate at the mounting flange. Could not this be a one piece bar with flange welded to the inside radius of the bend at the mounting flange? If necessary this could have a small gussett for strength and a matching gusset in the upper left bend for looks. I hope I'm getting my meaning across.