Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293539 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
Will the new bars fit both of the C14 generations or just the second?

Well, we're not drilling into the fairing and we're using generic mounting points so I'm hoping they'll fit both generations but there's no way to know for sure until we finish the bar and find a guinea pig. Anyone with a 2008-2009 want to test it out for us? If you're interested in testing the Canyon Cage PM me and I can go through our guinea pig details. It's not as easy as us sending you a set and just tossing them on so I'd really prefer someone who is methodical and has a working knowledge of basic mechanics.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Here are the first couple photos I have of the prototype! I'm not a huge fan of the 90 degree angle the bar makes before it goes through the bike but it's something we're still tinkering around with. That 90 degree angle spot is there for a few reasons though: It allows for the bar to be taken off really quickly and easily and it's a great spot to mount those optional delrin tips.

So far, there are two mounting points on each side of the bike with a bar that connects the two halves underneath the bike. We're looking at adding another bar that goes back towards the rider similar to our GSXR Canyon Cage shown here:

I'll post more pics when we get the other bar bent and tacked into place. I think it'll help pull the look of the bars together a little bit. Let me know your guys opinions, though! This is the best time to voice your concerns because we can easily make changes at this stage of the game!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »
It looks good so far Ryan. How do you determine how much protection your bars give the bike in a drop? I assume the new bars are being designed to work with the small rear set?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
I like what I am seeing here Ryan, John :chugbeer:
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »
Good progress for one day. Be interesting to see where the bar going towards the back is going to mount.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
I think that looks great, hoping someone with an 08/09 will be able to assist.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
It looks good so far Ryan. How do you determine how much protection your bars give the bike in a drop? I assume the new bars are being designed to work with the small rear set?

Thanks! Honestly, there's no set formula for determining the level of protection the bars are going to give the bike in a real world drop situation. The guys we have here working on the bars have been doing so for years so usually we just all crowd around, brainstorm, build, and test. It's really a sort of "try and check" type of thing. I can tell you, though, that after so many years building these bars we have a damn good idea of where the bikes hit and what sections need protection and what we can overlook.

To answer your second question: These Canyon Cages could technically be used by themselves but your bags may take a bit of a hit if the bike goes over. Especially because the Canyon Cage is a lot closer to the fairing than the bathroom bars are. The best level of protection is going to be achieved using the front and rear bars in accordance with one another.

Regarding where we're looking to tie in towards the rear, check out the photo below. We're looking to run closely along the fairing and hopefully connect at that large mounting point above the pegs. Please forgive my photoshop skills! The bar isn't going to be as straight as I've photoshopped it but that's the general idea of what we're looking at.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
Question for those of you following this thread: How important is the incorporation of a polyethylene (delrin) bumper?

Armando (our in-house Tech) and I have come up with a really nifty preliminary design that would allow for the bars to be "quick-released" to allow easier access to the fairing. It's not quite a cotter pin design but you'd only have to undo two external bolts per side to remove the bars; less than a 2 minute job per side. The great thing about this design is it would also allow for easy incorporation of an optional polyethylene bumper. Oh, and this design does not require drilling as of yet! We're really banging on all cylinders here today. I'll post some pictures once I have a bar bent and tack welded in place!

If the polyethylene bumper hid a set of flip out highway pegs, they would be extremely important...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »
Got a few more photos for you guys so you can get an idea of where we're looking to attach the bar...

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
Got a few more photos for you guys so you can get an idea of where we're looking to attach the bar...

Sweet! I really like the horizontal bar better than the bent line you drew...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy these as soon as they are available. 8)
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
They look awesome. Please make them fit the 08-09 also.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »
Ryan, is the OD" of the pipe the same as on the small rears?
Are you going to be able to color match our paint as an option maybe?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
Wow!   Ryan, I am really impressed so far.   Especially if they can be easily removed for maintenance work.  As long as they are 100% protection from a static or extremely low speed tip-over.   As for the plastic "bumper", even with your photos, it is currently hard to tell if that would look OK or not.  If it were extremely flush, I bet it would work.  If it sticks out, I think it will look freaky.

One question- would it even need the rear horizontal section?  Could just the front loop be enough?  You don't need a back section on your normal bathroom bars....   Maybe two versions?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »

Looks like the top may work but bottom would require drilling, hard to tell from photos.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
Nice progress Ryan and good choice of color for the tape, that Kawi green goes nice on the black...  8)

Here's my only concern, how the heck are you gonna convince anyone to buy the original bathroom bars once these are available!  :o ;)

Keep up the good work bro!  :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
Looks like the top may work but bottom would require drilling, hard to tell from photos.

Translation for those who were initially confused by his posting, like I was...

"Looks like trying these on the 2008/2009, the top may work but bottom would require drilling; here is a pic of the 1st gen C-14 for a comparison"

:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
Nice progress Ryan and good choice of color for the tape, that Kawi green goes nice on the black...  8)

Here's my only concern, how the heck are you gonna convince anyone to buy the original bathroom bars once these are available!  :o ;)

Keep up the good work bro!  :chugbeer:

Hahahaha! Thanks! Y'know, I have a feeling the other style will still be popular with a small percentage of civilians along with a bunch of people from the law enforcement community. Although, I hope this style is more popular among normal riders (as opposed to law enforcement) because we're designing them specifically for you guys as opposed to the other bars which were designed for cops!

Sweet! I really like the horizontal bar better than the bent line you drew...

Hahahah yea, that was just a rough thing I threw together quickly. I bent the line to show how the bar would bend with the fairing of the bike. I definitely think the actual bar in place looks a lot better as well, though!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy these as soon as they are available. 8)

As soon as the prototype is done I'm probably going to organize a new group buy specifically for the Canyon Cages. That way we can get orders together while the bars are going through their first major production run and I can hopefully save you guys a little cash!

Ryan, is the OD" of the pipe the same as on the small rears?
Are you going to be able to color match our paint as an option maybe?

Yes, the OD is the same as the small rears so they'll go together really well. I doubt we're going to do matching paint, though. We'll probably stick to offering the bar in chrome and matte black. Honestly, though, I really like the look of chrome on this lower profile bar. Since these bars aren't as bulky, being chrome helps bring out the chrome "Kawasaki" and "Concours14" tags on the bike. I have a feeling the matte black will still be most popular though.

One question- would it even need the rear horizontal section?  Could just the front loop be enough?  You don't need a back section on your normal bathroom bars....   Maybe two versions?

The bar would probably perform fine without the rear horizontal section but that horizontal bar really helps strengthen the entire set up so I'd like to keep it there if possible. The reason we don't use the back section on the bathroom bars is because the mounting plates under the fairings are quite a bit beefier and don't require that additional support.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:40:58 PM by RyanMCEnterprises »

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
They look awesome. Please make them fit the 08-09 also.

Thanks! Honestly I think the only way to make a bar that would fit both generations right off the bat would be to have both bikes in the shop simultaneously and design a bar that fits on both. I'm hoping this same bar will work for the 2008-2009 with minor modifications, though. However, if this bar ends up being as popular as I think it is, we may just make another version for the '08-'09s that don't require drilling if we can find someone to loan us one!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
Translation for those who were initially confused by his posting, like I was...

"Looks like trying these on the 2008/2009, the top may work but bottom would require drilling; here is a pic of the 1st gen C-14 for a comparison"

:)

What he said..tks