Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293496 times)

Offline RBX QB

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #660 on: April 30, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »
About the bolt color comments- if black is available, that would probably go well if the customer orders black bars.  But not if they order chrome!

Or black caps like the one at the back bar (and the ones that come stock for the riser bolts).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Son of Pappy

« Reply #661 on: April 30, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »
I like'em, but can i get black bolts? Start production, thanks again for listening to all of our input.
More black?  Keep it up and all she will be good for is a calm Sunday ride ;)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #662 on: April 30, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »
More black?  Keep it up and all she will be good for is a calm Sunday ride ;)
Right after Saturday at the track.

Offline Huero

« Reply #663 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
IMHO, they look awesome. I think they are the best on the market.

Good job!!!!

Huero

Son of Pappy

« Reply #664 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Right after Saturday at the track.
2 or 3 rail trailer? ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #665 on: April 30, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
About the bolt color comments- if black is available, that would probably go well if the customer orders black bars.  But not if they order chrome!

My gut says the black bars will sell 50 to 1 over chrome, so why not make the bolts match the bars for the majority of customers...

Taff

« Reply #666 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »

My gut says the black bars will sell 50 to 1 over chrome, so why not make the bolts match the bars for the majority of customers...

+1  ;D

Taff

« Reply #667 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »
Any chance you can paint these bars "Candy Red" (fastest color you know) along with the bolts.

OK, just kidding  ;D ;D ;D ;D :deadhorse: :grouphug:

Offline julianm

« Reply #668 on: May 01, 2012, 02:25:55 AM »
Hi Ryan ,
Congratulations on a great job with these bars, particularly the way they protected the mirrors in a fully horizontal lay down. You were quite correct in the way they blend in and are unobtrusive when painted black.
A couple of questions:
1. Will these be made available to overseas customers. I am in South Africa and really need a set of these as would have been the top CDA member  if I hadn't been too embarrassed to join.
2. What was the final decision on a video of a drop test. Has this been canned due to the potential cost risk ?
3. Will you be showing a lay down without the back bars as requested or has already been shown somewhere ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #669 on: May 01, 2012, 05:18:44 AM »
I have this deja vu feeling  :P

Again?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #670 on: May 01, 2012, 05:23:27 AM »
Nice job Ryan! Very well done.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #671 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:11 AM »

With that logic, why not sell only black bars, then?
Choice is a good thing, not bad.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #672 on: May 01, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »
Congratulations on a great job with these bars, particularly the way they protected the mirrors in a fully horizontal lay down.

Actually, they will NOT protect the mirrors in a full-over.  They will probably help prevent them from breaking or being bent or destroyed, but they will take it hit.

You were quite correct in the way they blend in and are unobtrusive when painted black.

Only on a dark or black bike...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #673 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
Black, chrome, raw, thats all well and good HOW MUCH??? I can't wait to put these bars on and I am really wanting to do some low speed knee dragging and having the cage will give me that confidence.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #674 on: May 01, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
Can't wait to see the 08-09 version.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline Zulu

« Reply #675 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »
Do we get to see any drop pics ?  They look great.  Can't wait till I get her back. And have some fun in the canyons.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #676 on: May 01, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
I like'em, but can i get black bolts? Start production, thanks again for listening to all of our input.

We've never used black bolts but I don't think it'd be too hard to swap them out. I personally think the chrome hardware is a nice little accent but to each their own. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be supplying black hardware but one could easily paint the bolt or replace it with a black one if they so desire.

OK Ryan, us gen 1 owners expect the same level of perfection, but sooner ;D ;D

We'll definitely do our best to create a similar product for the '08-'09s! It will definitely come quicker because we'll basically just modify the current bar to fit the earlier generation bikes with some minor aesthetic tweaks to make it flow with the fairings. All you guys with an '08-'09, stay tuned!

Looking good!  Group buy here we come!  :D

Thanks! As soon as Donnell has worked up the pricing I'll be starting the Group Buy thread! I just need to know how much to discount those of you who participate. Hopefully Donnell can have the pricing done by the end of the week meaning the Group Buy should be starting by early next week!

Hi Ryan ,
Congratulations on a great job with these bars, particularly the way they protected the mirrors in a fully horizontal lay down. You were quite correct in the way they blend in and are unobtrusive when painted black.
A couple of questions:
1. Will these be made available to overseas customers. I am in South Africa and really need a set of these as would have been the top CDA member  if I hadn't been too embarrassed to join.
2. What was the final decision on a video of a drop test. Has this been canned due to the potential cost risk ?
3. Will you be showing a lay down without the back bars as requested or has already been shown somewhere ?

Thanks julian! Unfortunately, though, the bars do not fully protect the mirrors in a full horizontal lay down. They do protect the mirrors well during a typical tip over but when the bike goes all the way over, the mirrors will take a little bit of a hit. Based on our testing the mirrors shouldn't be hit hard enough to break but they will most likely be scuffed up and folded in. However, all situations are different and yield different results.

Anyway, these will be available to customers overseas. You can purchase them through me via email or over the phone with a credit card or you can use PayPal if it's more convenient for you. Either way works great for us. Regarding videos of the drop test, yea we basically decided to scrap that. We did drop the bike from varying heights to test the bars but it was extremely difficult to see much in the videos and we assumed anything less than a full drop wouldn't be accepted so we just decided to scrap the video idea. We also decided against doing lay downs without the rear bags and bars on due to the potential for damage to the exhaust. I understand some of you guys ride without the bags on but the exhaust would definitely take a hit so we didn't want to risk that. I can tell you, though, that the bar would still protect the front end of the bike. It's just the exhaust that's at risk when you remove the rear bags/bars.

Black, chrome, raw, thats all well and good HOW MUCH??? I can't wait to put these bars on and I am really wanting to do some low speed knee dragging and having the cage will give me that confidence.

Yesss! I'm hoping these bars will really give some of you guys the confidence to push the boundaries! Regarding price, I have to wait til Armando has assessed all of the labor and material and gives that information to Donnell. Donnell will then work up a price and let me know at which point I'll fill you guys in! I'm hoping to have a firm price by the end of the week, early next week at the very latest. I'm thinking the cost will probably be around $275ish though.

Do we get to see any drop pics ?  They look great.  Can't wait till I get her back. And have some fun in the canyons.

There are some photos of when we laid the bike over back on page 35-40 or so. We decided against the video for reasons I posted above but there are some photos you can check out a few pages back of the bike on its side and what part of the bike hits when. If you'd like a few more photos of the bike on its side, I may be able to lay it over one last time and take some additional angles.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #677 on: May 01, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
I'm thoroughly impressed by the look of these bars!!

Will the group buy be for just the fronts? Or, will there be some discount for those that need the rear bars too?

Anyone know the exact sizes of those mounting bolts? I'm sure I can find black ones if I just know what size they are.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #678 on: May 01, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »
I'm thoroughly impressed by the look of these bars!!

Will the group buy be for just the fronts? Or, will there be some discount for those that need the rear bars too?

Anyone know the exact sizes of those mounting bolts? I'm sure I can find black ones if I just know what size they are.

Thanks, Wally! I'm actually quite impressed with how the black looks as well! I was excited to get the bars back from our powder coaters but the bars look even better on the bike than I had initially anticipated! Anyhow, the Group Buy will mainly be for the Canyon Cage but the discounts will also apply to the rear guards as well for those of you who don't have them. The bolt in question is a 10mm x 1.25 x 45 or 50mm. I can't remember for sure if it was a 45mm or 50mm length but I can find out for sure in a bit when I speak with Armando as we're planning on making up the instructions later today.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #679 on: May 01, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »
Thanks for the photos! I've still got the "bathroom bars" and thankfully haven't gotten to test them yet to see if they provide better protection for the entire bike vs these. Does anyone know if the earlier version MCE bars were supposed to protect the mirrors or not?
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/