Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293590 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #640 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »
Hey guys! I apologize for my absence over the last few days! I hope you guys haven't taken my absence as a sign of things gone wrong, that's not the case at all! A few of our employees have been at a trade show since late last week so my customer service load has been quite a bit higher than usual as I've had to pick up some of the slack.

Anyway, we've continued grinding on these bars. We're really working hard to get them finished up because I know you guys are dying to get them on your bikes! I haven't been posting as many pictures because the design of the bar has been completed and we're making only minor structural changes to increase the strength of the cage.

Over the last few days we've been doing some light drop testing and making changes to the bar as needed but we've decided against conducting full, standing drop tests for a few reasons: Firstly, testing these bars requires the bike to be dropped repeatedly which causes quite a bit of strain on the bike. Although the owner of the bike has given us the green light on full drop testing, we're still responsible for any damage, cosmetic or structural, that happens to the bike which has made us a bit leery of testing this bike the way we did with the Connie we borrowed from Kawasaki Corporate. With that said, we've taken knowledge gained from those tests and incorporated certain things into the design of the Canyon Cage which will increase strength and durability.

Like I said though, we have been conducting drop tests on this bike/bar they just haven't been as gnarly as tests we've conducted in the past. I figured it was pointless to film these recent tests though because anything less than a full drop would probably be considered ineffectual by you guys even though these types of drops still give us quite a bit of insight. After initial testing, we noticed the lower horizontal bar was bending slightly inward so we decided to make a few minor changes. First, we changed the upper and lower front mounts slightly. The visible part of the bar has remained unchanged however we added a gusset inside the fairing to increase strength near the upper and lower front mounting point. We also thickened the rear bracket a bit and changed the wall thickness of the tube material we’re using from .083 to .093. Once they’re done getting the new .093 set welded up I’ll get some photos highlighting the aforementioned changes for you guys. Anyway, these changes should be plenty to minimize the bending so we’re very close to a finished product. We’ll be sending this set off to our powder coaters early next week and should be ready to begin a production run by early May. I’ll be setting up the Group Buy thread within a week or so for those of you interested in ordering so keep your eyes peeled!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #641 on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »
Very cool Ryan. 08 08 08 08 08  :)

Offline Huero

« Reply #642 on: April 27, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
Very cool Ryan. 08 08 08 08 08  :)

Ditto!!!!!!!

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #643 on: April 27, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »
I dont want to be pushy but PICTURES!!  :o I know we have to wait but allow us to have a picture so we can drool over the cage. ;D

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #644 on: April 27, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
Cool! Can't wait to see what the new design looks like! I might consider changing out my current set from MCE if these new ones are THAT much better looking. ;-)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Huero

« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
Did I say, I can't wait for the '08 bars?   ::) ::)
Just making sure I said that.

Huero

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
« Reply #646 on: April 29, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
Say it with me... 08, 08, 08, 08!!

Repeat as needed.

;)

Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
Anxious to see the pics

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »

Repeat as needed.

;)
Mike

08 08 08 08 actually 09, but you get the point.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #649 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »

Repeat as needed.

;)

Mike

Indeed!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
Happy Monday everyone! I'll try and get some photos of the finalized design this morning for you guys. Keep in mind, though, the exterior of the bar is unchanged so it looks the same as it did before. We merely changed a few interior things to add strength. However, I'll try to get some photos which document the interior changes we made. Sorry I couldn't get them for you over the weekend but it's been insanely busy over here!

Oh and I believe we actually sent the bar to our powder coaters late Thursday so I should have the final product back within a day or two. As soon as we get the cage back, I'll be sure to get some photos for you guys so you can finally see the finished product!

Regarding the '08-'09, we have someone lined up to bring their bike in as soon as we're done with this bike so we'll get crackin' on those bars soon!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Huero

« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:38 AM »

Regarding the '08-'09, we have someone lined up to bring their bike in as soon as we're done with this bike so we'll get crackin' on those bars soon!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #652 on: April 30, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
I have this deja vu feeling  :P

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #653 on: April 30, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
Here is the finished product! I tried to get a few photos close up of the interior part of the fairing where we made changes but it was extremely hard to see what was done. Basically what we did was make a bracket that extends from the lower front mounting point (inside the fairing, this bracket is not visible) to the upper front mounting point in hopes of strengthening the front part of the bar.

Anyhow, here are some photos of the finished product! If you guys would like any other angles let me know! We'll have the bike in our shop for another day then it's headed back to its owner!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #654 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »
I like'em, but can i get black bolts? Start production, thanks again for listening to all of our input.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #655 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
OK Ryan, us gen 1 owners expect the same level of perfection, but sooner ;D ;D

Mods, I would ask that this thread be locked until Ryan and his stable of workers have created another jewel ;)

Ryan, git ta work ya shifty money making capitalist, I have money burning a hole in ma pocket :-*

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
Looking good!  Group buy here we come!  :D
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »
 :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;) :) Yeah PICTURES! and if you want spray paint the bolts black before you install them!! Well thank you Ryan and let us know when the group by is going to be ready.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #658 on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
Anyhow, here are some photos of the finished product! If you guys would like any other angles let me know! We'll have the bike in our shop for another day then it's headed back to its owner!

Thanks for the pics!  You are right, they look the same!  Now I just have to pretend what they would like like in chrome on a silver bike :)

About the bolt color comments- if black is available, that would probably go well if the customer orders black bars.  But not if they order chrome!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #659 on: April 30, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
They look great, looking forward to the 08/09 design.