Author Topic: Parking the C14  (Read 16685 times)

Offline bhodge10

Parking the C14
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
hey everyone, I'm thinking about going to St. Louis, MO to see Radiohead in early March and want to turn it into a bike trip. I've never done an overnight at a hotel with the bike, so I'm looking for any advice on ways to prevent my bike from getting stolen. I'm not sure of what hotel I will be staying yet, looking for a 2 or 3 star for cost reasons. I do not currently have any bike locks or chains. I will be taking the bags off and put them in the room. Thanks.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Parking the C14
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
Have parked mine outside the door to my room many times without incident. Just pulled the side bags and put them in the room.

Almighty KiPass will protect it after that.  ::)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline W14

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
+1, also consider motorcycle friendly hotels, if you are planning in advance

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
Scorpio Alarms....

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

Chains can be cut and bikes can be lifted into the back of a truck or van.  If you have an alarm that pages you, at least you have a chance.

I'm sure there are others out there as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
I have as of yet to have a hotel say no to parking it by the entry door, most of the time they ask or let me know I can park it there, most have cameras covering the entry and the bike is in plain sight to who ever is working.  Although I haven't used one I would think a disk lock would discourage a rookie thief, just make sure you have a reminder flag to prevent the sudden stop if you forget to take it off.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Every year I take an eight day trip where my bike gets parked at hotels.  I find the best thing is to find a hotel with a Harley already parked there and park next to it.  Why would anyone take a Concours with a Harley sitting next to it?

Honestly, I was concerned at first, but now I don't give it a second thought.  I do ask if I can park under the awning at the font, and I'd say 80% of the time they say yes.  But if they don't it's not that big of a deal.  The main bikes that get stolen these days are crotch rockets. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40:56 PM »
I have been all over the US and parts of Canada, never had a problem with anyone tampering with the bike. I have even left the keys in the trunk of my Gold Wing and nothing happened. Lock the front forks with the fork lock if that will make you feel better, I always park it right outside my room, makes it easier to unload.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
I don't like parking under the front awnings....think about it.  You have numbnuts with their kids parking there to check in and either the kids are fiddling with your bike or the idiots are parking so close you'd need a feeler gage to see the gap between them and your pride and joy.  No sir, it's out in the open for me with my alarm parked in the middle of a space.  Besides, if it rains, I get a free wash job.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »
Call the Hotel first.  I've done a few overnight trips and some places are amazing when it comes to parking bikes.  I had a Hilton let me park inside their lockable, service garage on my last trip.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »
I don't like parking under the front awnings....think about it.  You have numbnuts with their kids parking there to check in and either the kids are fiddling with your bike or the idiots are parking so close you'd need a feeler gage to see the gap between them and your pride and joy.  No sir, it's out in the open for me with my alarm parked in the middle of a space.  Besides, if it rains, I get a free wash job.
I am usually the late arrival kinda guy and I leave early.  If it rains, well, I'm in WA State, it already got it's daily wash job ;D  Truth be told, the only time I am even slightly concerned over attempted theft is when I visit Yakima.  I wouldn't park too close to them HD branded bikes, it may lead to a CDA from slipping in the oil pool :o

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »

* The Concours is nearly 100% theft-proof by any type of casual thief.
* The ignition system simply cannot be overridden.
* The Concours is not a desired target to steal in the first place.
* The only way to steal a Concours is by brute force- by dragging it onto or into another vehicle.
* The Concours is large and heavy, making it difficult to brute force.

Things I would do:

* Park where visible from your room.
* Park under or near a light.
* Remove and take your bags.
* Always lock your steering column.
* Optionally cover the bike (although that takes a lot of storage to carry with you).

Chains and locks are a pain for you, and things like disc locks are not going to deter a brute-force theft, anyway.  The best thing to add if you want more protection is some type of tamper alarm with motion/proximity sensor.

I am never worried about theft.  However, I am always worried about people tampering.... especially kids.  One knock-over and wham- hundreds or thousands of dollars in damage.  I have always wanted to invent an auxiliary, right-side kickstand for just that reason.  You flip it down and then push it down (it ratchets) with your foot, making the bike EXTREMELY stable- supported by four points.   Have never seen anything like it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Z71

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
Always get a 1st floor room in a motel and drive the bike right into the room and park next to your bed where you can keep an eye on it all night.  ;D

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
I park mine outside all the time.  It was actually parked in front of my car when that was stolen and I still don't really worry about the bike.  Like was said earlier these are not high priority targets to a thief.  Keep the front wheel locked and insure it and you're good.  No need stressing over something because if someone REALLY wants it, trust me they will get it.

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
I don't even give it a thought. Do you worry about parking your car?

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
I've been going on at least one 10 day trip every year for the past 20 years. Never had an issue. Don't worry, enjoy the trip. ;)   
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
I spend 2-4 weeks touring every summer and mostly stay at hotels. If its a hotel/motel with each room with an outside door I park right in front of the room. If not then a lot of times they will let me park under the overhang of the entrances where they are in view of the night clerk. Not that I expect the night clerk to keep an eye on my bike but that it is less tempting to the would be thief when in sight. I have never had a problem so far (knock, knock, knocking on wood).

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
Always get a 1st floor room in a motel and drive the bike right into the room and park next to your bed where you can keep an eye on it all night.  ;D

I have done this. ;D

Offline texrider

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
Put it on the center stand, then chain or cable the stand to a forward part under the bike to keep someone from getting it down off the stand.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline DaveO

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
you could zip tie a baby monitor  to your centerstand .If  stand goes up you'll hear it .
 Its low tech ,low cost.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Put it on the center stand, then chain or cable the stand to a forward part under the bike to keep someone from getting it down off the stand.

Hmm, that is an interesting thought.  I never use the centerstand, since they are just as unstable as a side stand, yet much more work (plus a real pain when you are short or have a lowered bike).  But using it with a lock.... hmmm....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc