Author Topic: Electric Accessory Connectors??  (Read 5685 times)

Offline jamcou2020

Electric Accessory Connectors??
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »
Can anyone help me with what these are used for. There is a wire with a boot on it that comes out of the right side of the lower fairings and per the instruction Manuel it say there is a hook up under the back seat. What type of accessories can I use with the connections?

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: Electric Accessory Connectors??
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »
about anything with low amperage.
gps
radar
mp3
radio
led driving lights

not heated gear, battery charger, normal driving lights
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
Ok so Im guessing I have to buy a connector of some sort to get the get it to work with a GPS?

Offline Smiffer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »
Forgive me if this is a silly question but which of those two connectors is +? The male one or the female one?
2010 C14

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »
Ok so Im guessing I have to buy a connector of some sort to get the get it to work with a GPS?
Plug the GPS into the power outlet next to the right headlight adjuster.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
Forgive me if this is a silly question but which of those two connectors is +? The male one or the female one?

I'm not sure, but I think the female connector is the "+"
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
Here's some more info on those connections.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/accleads
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
When working with electrics or electronics, it is wise to have and use a multimeter.  They are cheap and easy to learn to use.  It is not "silly" to ask the question, but it might be better to "ask" the multimeter. 

FWIW, if you are looking at powered leads on a vehicle, typically the female lead will be positive and the male lead negative, assuming the vehicle uses a negative ground.  That should make sense.  If not, you might want to study up a bit more before taking on wiring projects.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
As stated a meter is best but the answer and a photo can be found here

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=26044.0

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
Right side, lower fairings? That sounds like something someone added to the bike and if it is, it is most likely a battery tender connection. There are no electrical connections exposed or available on the right side of the bike as it comes from Kawasaki.

The accessory connectors on a C-14 are located on the top / front / left of the fairing, just under the black cover, and another set is under the tail piece, behind the saddle and under the ECU. The accessory connectors are for the owner to connect anything he / she wants as long as all the accessories do not draw more than 10 amps for '08 and '09's, and 5 amps for 2010 models and later. Both sets of acc. connectors are on the same circuit so the max. capacity is for both sets together (you cannot put a 7 amp load on the front and a 5 amp load on the rear as the total would be 12 amps).

Brian

Can anyone help me with what these are used for. There is a wire with a boot on it that comes out of the right side of the lower fairings and per the instruction Manuel it say there is a hook up under the back seat. What type of accessories can I use with the connections?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »
The female bullet connector is the positive one. It is done that way because the male sticks out and is not oovered and <could> touch something metal on the bike and short if it were the positive one. The female connector is fully covered with a plastic sleeve and cannot touch anything else.

Female = Positive
Male = Negative 

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Smiffer

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
Thanks. Makes sense.
The female bullet connector is the positive one. It is done that way because the male sticks out and is not oovered and <could> touch something metal on the bike and short if it were the positive one. The female connector is fully covered with a plastic sleeve and cannot touch anything else.

Female = Positive
Male = Negative 

Brian
2010 C14

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »
Right side, lower fairings? That sounds like something someone added to the bike and if it is, it is most likely a battery tender connection. There are no electrical connections exposed or available on the right side of the bike as it comes from Kawasaki.

The accessory connectors on a C-14 are located on the top / front / left of the fairing, just under the black cover, and another set is under the tail piece, behind the saddle and under the ECU. The accessory connectors are for the owner to connect anything he / she wants as long as all the accessories do not draw more than 10 amps for '08 and '09's, and 5 amps for 2010 modles
Thanks brian for that explanation. Ill have to take a pic tomorrow of the leads that im speaking of. My bike is brand new naught it with zero miles on it so this has to be a factory wire.

Offline RcrBoy

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »
about anything with low amperage.
gps
radar
mp3
radio
led driving lights

not heated gear, battery charger, normal driving lights
Did not want to start a new thread so I did a search here to find those pesky connectors.
I wanted to hook up my Gerbing heated glove liners....................
If I can't do it here, anyone have a simple "non-splice" hook up they've used, other than the battery?

Thanks!

-Mark-

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »

Offline RcrBoy

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
I Posted too soon...   ::)

I checked the EWD and the only things on that circuit are the accy plug socket on the fairing and the front/rear accy connectors.

It's 14Ga wiring and there is nothing preventing me from changing that 5amp fuse out for the 20amp needed for the Girbing glove liners, since that will be the only thing on that circuit.

I can then hard wire the Gerbing harness to the front accy connectors.

Should I decide to run anything like a GPS, from the socket port, I can run a 5amp inline fuse on the Battery + line of the GPS harness male plug.

[ Unlikely these two will be on at the same time]

Cheers,
Mark  8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
Did not want to start a new thread so I did a search here to find those pesky connectors.
I wanted to hook up my Gerbing heated glove liners....................
If I can't do it here, anyone have a simple "non-splice" hook up they've used, other than the battery?

Thanks!

-Mark-

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10985.0  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 04:42:44 AM »
I Posted too soon...   ::)

I checked the EWD and the only things on that circuit are the accy plug socket on the fairing and the front/rear accy connectors.

It's 14Ga wiring and there is nothing preventing me from changing that 5amp fuse out for the 20amp needed for the Girbing glove liners, since that will be the only thing on that circuit.

I can then hard wire the Gerbing harness to the front accy connectors.

Should I decide to run anything like a GPS, from the socket port, I can run a 5amp inline fuse on the Battery + line of the GPS harness male plug.

[ Unlikely these two will be on at the same time]

Cheers,
Mark  8)

EWD?   ???

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:38 AM »
Electrical Wiring Diagram...I'm thinking.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:16 AM »
Electrical Wiring Diagram...I'm thinking.

Ah, I'm still waking up and working on my first cup-o-coffee.

BTW, I wouldn't trust that wiring fused at 20 amps. The first gen bikes were fused at 10 amps from the factory, 5 for the second gen bikes.