Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Conrad

The Hunger Games
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »
Anyone read the series?

I know, I know...

My wife borrowed these books from a friend and she raved on how good they were. I gave in and read the first one and got hooked. I've read the first two books, just started the third. Good stuff, VERY hard to put down!!!

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Re: The Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:02 AM »
been thinking about giving it a try, but still working on Game of Thrones...Might just buy and put in the stock pile of books to get to.
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:30:19 AM »
You won't be disappointed. They call this a series for young adults. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have a great story line. It pretty much means no sex or adult language, for the most part. Very well written.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
I saw a preview for the movie version a couple nights ago while I was out getting brownie points from a lady.  Looks like the books wouldn't appeal to me all that much if they're anything like the movie looked.  They made it look like a love story, IMHO.  I think it's a movie that you would get MAJOR brownie points for seeing...  Or reading.

I suppose I can give it a read.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
I can't speak for the movie or the previews, haven't seen the trailer.

Believe me when I tell you the books are not about a girly love story. I'd never in a million years recommend something like that. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:45:51 AM »
I've read the series. I felt like the last book and conclusion was a little forced. Kind of like the author got tired of writing at the end. But in general I liked them and would recommend them.

I also liked what I saw in the trailer for the movie. So keeping my fingers crossed for a well executed movie series.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
Believe me when I tell you the books are not about a girly love story. I'd never in a million years recommend something like that.

Agreed! Katniss is a VERY strong character and an interesting premise for the future.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
Well then I guess I'll have to check it out.

And if the movie winds up being a chick flick, at least I'll get brownie points.   :D
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
I've read the series. I felt like the last book and conclusion was a little forced. Kind of like the author got tired of writing at the end. But in general I liked them and would recommend them.

I also liked what I saw in the trailer for the movie. So keeping my fingers crossed for a well executed movie series.

I've just started the 3rd book, so far so good.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »

Here's the movie trailer C.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
Just watched the trailer again, a lot like I imagined when I read the book. Looks like it may be an excellent movie.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »

Here's the movie trailer C.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

Thanks J!

I just watched the trailer and I can see how it might look like a love story to someone who hasn't read the 1st book. The trailer looked very true to the book, it gave me goose bumps actually. Effie looked exactly the way I pictured her in my head while I was reading.

New The Hunger Games Trailer Official 2012 [HD] - Jennifer Lawrence

The Hunger Games Theatrical Trailer #2

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
Thanks J!

I just watched the trailer and I can see how it might look like a love story to someone who hasn't read the 1st book. The trailer looked very true to the book, it gave me goose bumps actually. Effie looked exactly the way I pictured her in my head while I was reading.

The Hunger Games - Official Trailer [HD]

+1  :thumbs: I have high hopes

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
I really enjoyed the books but I doubt if I'll go to see the movie.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
I won't go to the theater to see it either. I may buy the DVD though, depending on the reviews.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »

Right....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:09 AM »
Right....

I didn't say that there wasn't a love story involved, just not a girly one.

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:54 AM »
Loved the books, I read mostly young adult books though, Percy Jackson, Eragon, things of that sort. I too liked the books, but HATE when they make movies from books.  Hollywood always seems to fudge it up.  I highly recommend the books, if you have a kindle PM and I'll let you know how you can read it for free ;)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »
I was going to say the books were great, but I'm a very poor judge of books.  I enjoyed the Twilight books before I realized they were  written for teenage girls.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
I was going to say the books were great, but I'm a very poor judge of books.  I enjoyed the Twilight books before I realized they were  written for teenage girls.

I don't give a rats a$$ who they were written for. The Harry Potter series were written for young adults but I loved all 7 of them.

One day I'll read "Dead Zero" by Stephen Hunter and the next "Percy Jackson". A good story well told is a good story well told regardless of the intended market.