Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 5943 times)

Offline rcannon409

Re: The Hunger Games
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
Great point with HP.  Again, my judgement powers, but I thought the movies might be aimed at an older audience. 

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Two books which made it to the big screen were Nobodies Fool by Richard Russo starring Paul Newman and The Princess Bride by William Goldman. I think both movies were very well done.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »
Looks like I may have to get brownie points and take the woman to see it...  hahaha.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
So after seeing the trailer for the movie I went and picked up the books to read. The first one was pretty good. Second one was so so and while the third book was a pretty good story I can't recall ever being more disappointed in a main character as I was with Katniss by the end of the third book.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 04:08:07 AM »
So after seeing the trailer for the movie I went and picked up the books to read. The first one was pretty good. Second one was so so and while the third book was a pretty good story I can't recall ever being more disappointed in a main character as I was with Katniss by the end of the third book.

I thought that the first two were better than the last. I felt the same way about Katniss. She got pretty wishy washy at the end. I won't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read it yet but one of the big things that she did near the very end of the 3rd book was way out of character for her and I didn't like it one bit, no sir.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Has anyone seen the movie?

"The Hunger Games" caught fire this weekend, pulling in an amazing $155M and soaring to number three on the top 10 biggest all-time opening weekends list. - Xfinity Entertainment Programmers

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
Has anyone seen the movie?

"The Hunger Games" caught fire this weekend, pulling in an amazing $155M and soaring to number three on the top 10 biggest all-time opening weekends list. - Xfinity Entertainment Programmers

Not yet. It's playing here but only in French. I plan to see while I am home next week.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
Not yet. It's playing here but only in French. I plan to see while I am home next week.

Where you at?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
That would explain the French then wouldn't it?

How's the weather over there?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
That would explain the French then wouldn't it?

How's the weather over there?

Has been beautiful. A lot warmer then I expected.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
Ok. Read all three books on a business trip last week (gotta love the Kindle, but easy reading ) and took the family to see the movie on Saturday. My kids are 20,22, and 26. Wife went along. We see a lot of sci-fi/fantasy type stuff like Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, the Star Wars stuff, etc. as a family.  Ok, we're geeks.  ;)

One kid read book one only, two kids read all three as did I, wife read none of them. Verdict: We all liked the movie and now my wife is reading the books for the details. It's a good movie story without knowing all the details from the book (1), but it's better if you know the back story line about the  "fake" romance on screen and a few other tidbits about the districts, etc. Katniss is a great lead and the young lady playing her is very believable. The movie was violent, if you can imagine that. The violence is essential to the storyline after all.

The CGI were very good, but not as impressive as the imagery in the book. The imagination is a powerful thing. The outdoor "arena" (action) scenes were filmed around Asheville NC in the woods and around streams, so you can imagine what the woods looked like if you've ever been in western NC. Nicely done photography and blended graphics.

The audience was heavily younger teens and female, but all ages and both genders were there and the place was packed.

Summary: Good show. Interesting if slightly disturbing premise, and a bit of commentary on where society might go. 
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:38 AM »
Good review Ron, thanks for taking the time to do that for us.   :thumbs:

I'll buy the movie when it comes out on DVD as I almost never go to the theater any more, that's what I built a home theater for.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
I rarely see movies in the theatre but my daughter wanted to see it for her birthday.  I surprised her by picking her up from school about an hour early last Friday and we caught the matinee.  There were only about 10 other people in the place but when we left the 4:00 show was packed to the gills.  My daughter loved it, and I thought it was ok for a "chick flick".  What made me really happy was the one on one time with my daughter.  I got home and told my wife that they left it open for another one and she said "where have you been, it is gonna be a four movie series."  Sorry, guess I don't keep up with sci-fi books targeted at teenage girls.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
The audience was heavily younger teens and female, but all ages and both genders were there and the place was packed.

So that means...  Take your girlfriend to see it on Friday night, right? 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »
So that means...  Take your girlfriend to see it on Friday night, right?

After that, what day should we take the wife?    ;)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
After that, what day should we take the wife?    ;)

YES!  And be sure you act surprised at appropriate moments.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »
We went on the 29th since we had plans for every other day in the foreseeable future/past, and it was pretty good, actually.  Wives and Husbands should go on Tuesdays since that's a pretty depressing day ( You still have the weekend high on Monday, Wednesday is hump day, Thursday is the day before Friday, Friday is Friday and Saturdays and Sundays SHOULD be riding days.  Therefore, Tuesday is depressing).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »
I thought that the first two were better than the last. I felt the same way about Katniss. She got pretty wishy washy at the end. I won't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read it yet but one of the big things that she did near the very end of the 3rd book was way out of character for her and I didn't like it one bit, no sir.

I just finished the third book and I felt she was portrayed realistically human and not some super heroine.  She seemed like a 17 year old that was thrust into something that she didn't want any part in and dealt with it.  Very real in my eyes.  I enjoyed the series.  Won't see the movie, I'll rent it probably, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 02:32:13 AM »
I finally saw the movie last week. I liked it a lot. Very faithful to the book and I thought Jennifer Lawrence was brilliant as Katniss. Some have criticized her for not being thin enough to play a 17 year old from a famine stricken district. I was thinking that as well when I watched the movie but it is only a small distraction IMO. I will be looking forward to watching "Catching Fire" and "Mocking Jay".