Author Topic: 157 miles on her and some idiot with bad brakes runs into me.  (Read 25523 times)

Offline Sea Level

Re: 157 miles on her and some idiot with bad brakes runs into me.
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
Quick update: $3800 estimate to fix bike. The offenders insurance is unable to contacted the insured party to confirm the driver, who was not listed on the insurance, had consent to drive the car.....The owner of the car is sounding more and more like an illegal alien. What a bunch of crap. They say if they are unable to contact the vehicle owner they may not pay the claim, as he may have sold the vehicle or it was stolen or god knows what. Maddening it is! Mean while my bike is still not fixed.

Insurance follows the car, not the operator or owner. Even if it was stolen. The only difference is that the owner would not be penalized (surcharged, points, premium hike) if he was able to prove the vehicle was stolen when the accident occurred. However, if the car was not insured, then you most definitely are SOL. Things like unlisted operators, unlicensed operators, unauthorized operators - those all go towards affecting first party claims. You have a valid third party claim and all the aforementioned do not give the insurance company an out from coverage (if they actually insure the vehicle).

As for your property damage, if you have your own coverage, you should definitely go to your own carrier, that's what they are there for. They will subrogate to the other carrier.

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Insurance follows the car, not the operator or owner. Even if it was stolen. The only difference is that the owner would not be penalized (surcharged, points, premium hike) if he was able to prove the vehicle was stolen when the accident occurred. However, if the car was not insured, then you most definitely are SOL. Things like unlisted operators, unlicensed operators, unauthorized operators - those all go towards affecting first party claims. You have a valid third party claim and all the aforementioned do not give the insurance company an out from coverage (if they actually insure the vehicle).

As for your property damage, if you have your own coverage, you should definitely go to your own carrier, that's what they are there for. They will subrogate to the other carrier.
These things you say are what I thought too. But that rep told me different. We shall see.
Jeff

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »
In VA you also have Uninsured Motorist Coverage, it will cover claims as a last resort.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »
I have that
Jeff

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Well the good news then is that it will not all come out of pocket but it still sucks! :(

Offline jqram35

« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
Oh yeah not worried just MAD
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
Another Update:

Quite annoyed by the lack of progress by the other parties insurance company, my investigative skills and I went to Slidell today and tracked down the driver and the owner, where they work (together) and provided phone numbers and an address to the insurance. The car was even parked outside in the parking lot. The insurance says they spoke to the owner now and are waiting to speak with the the driver tomorrow, he was not at work today. Originally they told me they only needed to speak with the owner. So why they have changed their mind now is beyond me. If they force me to hire a lawyer I doubt it will work out in their favor...getting tired of the run around... :banghead:
Jeff

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline jqram35

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »
YES!!!
Jeff

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »
Another Update:

Quite annoyed by the lack of progress by the other parties insurance company, my investigative skills and I went to Slidell today and tracked down the driver and the owner, where they work (together) and provided phone numbers and an address to the insurance. The car was even parked outside in the parking lot. The insurance says they spoke to the owner now and are waiting to speak with the the driver tomorrow, he was not at work today. Originally they told me they only needed to speak with the owner. So why they have changed their mind now is beyond me. If they force me to hire a lawyer I doubt it will work out in their favor...getting tired of the run around... :banghead:

If you have a friend/brother/relative who is an attorney, have them write the insurance company on his letterhead suggesting that it would be expedient to settle your claim forthwith. They often do need a little push, and having a lawyer involved adds workload that the adjustor would rather not have to deal with.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Maybe, I know some attorneys but I would not say any are friends...I am going to give her tomorrow and see what she says. I am not much of a bluffer, I will just go all in...
Jeff

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »
It's not bluffing, it's just an incremental step towards a resolution. In dealing with insurance adjustors, the squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease. They are so busy, dealing with so many people, that it's often just a shuffling game...with the easy claimants getting pushed back so the adjustors can deal with the noisemakers. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Good copy! I have been blowing up her phone and email daily. Tomorrow is her last day then the gloves come off.
Jeff

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »
I crashed a bike, my old xs11, when I was 17.  The adjustor's office was near my HIgh School.  Mr. Grant was SLOW in taking care of a young and stupid kids claim.  I gathered a group of friends and we went over.  On a count of three we all (8 of us) turned around and mooned him (and his clients) while he was meeting with them.

He called my Mom that afternoon and had a draft ready to mail out.  hey, its an option.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
I crashed a bike, my old xs11, when I was 17.  The adjustor's office was near my HIgh School.  Mr. Grant was SLOW in taking care of a young and stupid kids claim.  I gathered a group of friends and we went over.  On a count of three we all (8 of us) turned around and mooned him (and his clients) while he was meeting with them.

He called my Mom that afternoon and had a draft ready to mail out.  hey, its an option.....

I guess in this case, being the squeaky wheel and getting the grease could be a bad thing...     :o

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jqram35

« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
Success, check for bike damage being issued... ;D
Jeff

Offline Conrad

« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
 :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »
Success, check for bike damage being issued... ;D

And for personal anguish.

And compensation for popping your virgin bike's cherry (you didn't even get a chance to join Connie Droppers Anonymous on your own.).

And a Thank You check for not knocking the teeth out of the SOB who hit your brand new C14! >:(

Glad to hear that you're getting something, though. :)
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline jqram35

« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
Injury claim is on going..it wont amount to much. Not looking for something for nothing here.
Jeff