Author Topic: interesting center stand mod  (Read 9726 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
interesting center stand mod
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
Not mine, just saw it on youtube and thought some of you folks out there who complain how hard it is to get up on the center stand might be interested. I personally think the center stand is fine as it comes from Kawi, just trying to help others...

Innovazione del Cavalletto di MGvalerio.

Collaudato cavalletto centrale "Modificato" GTR 1400 Kawasaki.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:16:11 PM by ZG »

Offline PH14

Re: interesting center stand mod
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
 :o I'm having a tough time understanding what exactly the great thing is about it. I had to stop watching partway through to run to the bathroom.  :doublepuke: His video skills seem to have been learned from a six year old with ADD on the Titanic.

I would like to see some normal video of what it is actually supposed to accomplish.

Offline gnuse

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
It appears to be easy to get onto centerstand and maybe more stable of soft ground by extending the rods? I'm sorry but it lost something in the language translation. :o
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:05 AM »
I am not sure what I missed in the video but it was painful to watch
I got dizzy
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:12:44 AM »
+1
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
He has made the centerstand a ride off stand. Many Gold Wing owners who have trouble putting a Gold Wing on the center stand have them . There are at least  2 problems with that.
1. both tire are on the ground so it makes it hard to rotate the tires to check them
2. if you park it on a slight down slope in neutral it will roll forward and off the stand and fall over.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline gnuse

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
He has made the centerstand a ride off stand. Many Gold Wing owners who have trouble putting a Gold Wing on the center stand have them . There are at least  2 problems with that.
1. both tire are on the ground so it makes it hard to rotate the tires to check them
2. if you park it on a slight down slope in neutral it will roll forward and off the stand and fall over.

Wow, number 2 looks like a bad thing! Number 1 defeats some of the reason to use a center stand.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »
Did he use the lower portion of a Connie windshield to make that radiator protector???
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
kinda defeats the purpose of the center stand for me. I use it to change my tires both front and back among other things like just being able to rotate the tires for cleaning, checking the tire pressure etc. I used to have a lot of problem using the center stand but now have the technique down and it is almost effortless for me now.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
Wow, number 2 looks like a bad thing! Number 1 defeats some of the reason to use a center stand.

I had one on my 92 Gold Wing. I was loading my trailer one morning in front of my motel room. Had the bike in neutral warning up, and I started to pack the trailer I felt it moving forward. Bike landed on it's left side, good thing The Gold Wing has excellent tip over protection.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
Did he use the lower portion of a Connie windshield to make that radiator protector???

I think so. Well, it's not protecting the radiator, it's protecting the header.  ::)  ???
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
I think so. Well, it's not protecting the radiator, it's protecting the header.  ::) ???

Where do you keep your spare shield for summer riding...  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »

The worst of both worlds.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »
The only good reason to have one is if you have a bad back and you can't get the bike on the center stand.  I had a piece of 3/4" plywood I used to put under the stand when I wanted the back wheel off the ground. My wife bought it for me, she thought it was a good idea because I always park my bikes on the center stand. I never had a problem with that but she just thought it was easier, so I couldn't tell her no!! You just have to remember to put it in first gear when you park it.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51:19 AM »
...You just have to remember to put it in first gear when you park it.

Okay, probably a dumb question, but since I've only owned cruisers, why should the bike be in first when you park it on a center stand?
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 04:04:53 AM »
Okay, probably a dumb question, but since I've only owned cruisers, why should the bike be in first when you park it on a center stand?

Most of the time the rear wheel will still be touching the ground and by having the bike in gear (any gear), it will keep the bike from rolling forward, which if it did roll forward it would causing the center stand to fold up and the bike to fall over.  8)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
You know, I just read this and I must confess that I didn't know that there was an issue with putting the bike up on the center stand.  It's easier than the C10 for sure.  If anyone wants any lessons out my way, I'll show them how....free.  I usually ask for a beer but since it's Christmas I'm forgoing the usual gratuity.  :P
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline cutback

• "Old enough to know better"
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
Most of the time the rear wheel will still be touching the ground and by having the bike in gear (any gear), it will keep the bike from rolling forward, which if it did roll forward it would causing the center stand to fold up and the bike to fall over.  8)
I have never seen a bikes rear tire touching the ground, when on the centerstand unless, you weighted or pushed down the rear of the bike. Then again, What do I know?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »
Strangely enough, neither have I.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »
I never use my center stand unless I'm working on the bike...