Author Topic: Difference between model years  (Read 12559 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Difference between model years
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »
And the 2008/2009 didn't have ram air?  What are the tubes running from under the headlights up to the air box?  They might have made a revision but I don't think it is much different.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 08:00:46 AM »
Also, I don't know if there is really a change in the top speed but I can tell you I tested my bike up to 153 mph in 5th gear and it wanted to continue...I didn't.

Not to be a smart ass or anything, but is there a much better chance of survival from a crash at 100 versus 170 on a bike? I wouldn't think there would be much difference in the fines either.
On the other hand, my balls do seem to shrink smaller and smaller the faster I go ;D

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
Not to be a smart ass or anything, but is there a much better chance of survival from a crash at 100 versus 170 on a bike? I wouldn't think there would be much difference in the fines either.

There is probably a *huge* difference in survival rates between such speeds.  But one can die at 30MPH and survive at 100MPH, it all depends on exactly what happened.  But speed is always a really big factor.  As for tickets, I don't know.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
Differences in the bikes, guys.  Differences only, please.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
Hi guys,
Had lost track of the forum when, as someone said, it went poof!

Happy to be back!

Isn't the radiator also different since 2010 ? Isn't it now curved (bigger?) and also be part of the reason the newer 14 run cooler than the 2008 and 2009?

Nope, same part number.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
And the 2008/2009 didn't have ram air?  What are the tubes running from under the headlights up to the air box?  They might have made a revision but I don't think it is much different.

Oh, so that's when them thar holes are for.....ramming speed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »

I am not sure.  Maybe it was just revised.  I do know that just because an air intake is at the front, doesn't necessarily mean it is ram-air; that requires them to be exactly positioned for effective, high-pressure feeding.

It is even listed on Wikipedia:  "The fuel injected engine on the 2008 and 2009 models has a power output of 114 kW (153 hp) at 8,800 rpm and produces torque of 136 N·m (100 ft·lbf) at 6,200 rpm. The ram-air intake on the 2010 model increases power to 117.6 kW (157.7 hp)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_1400GTR
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
'10 bikes got more fluid in the forks for better handling. There were also changes in the brake pads, might be changes in the discs as well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
I am not sure.  Maybe it was just revised.  I do know that just because an air intake is at the front, doesn't necessarily mean it is ram-air; that requires them to be exactly positioned for effective, high-pressure feeding.

It is even listed on Wikipedia:  "The fuel injected engine on the 2008 and 2009 models has a power output of 114 kW (153 hp) at 8,800 rpm and produces torque of 136 N·m (100 ft·lbf) at 6,200 rpm. The ram-air intake on the 2010 model increases power to 117.6 kW (157.7 hp)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_1400GTR

You do realize that Wikipedia is user written.  Just because it's there doesn't make it right.  There should be a ram air statement on the 08/09 bikes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »
You do realize that Wikipedia is user written.  Just because it's there doesn't make it right.

Well of course I know that.  I even contribute!  But just because it is Wikipedia doesn't make it wrong, either ;)

There should be a ram air statement on the 08/09 bikes. 

I haven't seen one... have tried searching, nada.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
C-14's have had ram air since introduction in '07 ('08 model year). Kawasake even used to make a claim as to how much it increased power at some specific speed. I think once you pass 600 MPH the compression ratio also goes up although the rubber air ducts probably swell also....

Brian

There was a change.  The 2010+ is a little faster because of a design change to the front that added ram air.  Should be added to the list.  Supposedly a 4.7hp increase at high speed.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
I haven't seen one... have tried searching, nada.

Try reading this....

http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf

My goodness, it's an interesting design document.

Which, oh by the way, is linked to in our Interesting Facts area here:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=93.0

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
Try reading this....

My goodness, it's an interesting design document.

Which, oh by the way, is linked to in our Interesting Facts area here:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=93.0

Nice read indeed, thanks Sparky!  :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
Try reading this....

And there it is!

"Q: How much of a difference does the ram air system make?
A: Some of the C14’s impressive power numbers come from its aerodynamics alone. Its ram air system not only provides a five horsepower boost via a supercharging effect, but has other benefits as well such as reduced intake noise."

In a 2008 document.  Thanks

So that leaves the Wikipedia page... hmmm.  I will see if it can be fixed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »
What's funny about that document is the braking write up and linking of the brakes.  They don't link them because it would subtract from the fun in riding the bike.   That guy must have been fired and a less fun guy took over.  So, I can only come to the conclusion that 08/09 owners are the most fun. ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 04:33:49 AM »
and the fastest.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 04:35:03 AM »
Exactly!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »
What's funny about that document is the braking write up and linking of the brakes.  They don't link them because it would subtract from the fun in riding the bike.   That guy must have been fired and a less fun guy took over.  So, I can only come to the conclusion that 08/09 owners are the most fun. ;)

:thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
and the fastest.

HA!  You guys just say that because you have the "OLD" model :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
HA!  You guys just say that because you have the "OLD" model :)

First Blood was the best of the Rambo movie series, and the first Die Hard was the best of that series too, sometimes sequals just aren't as good...  ;)