Author Topic: TPMS unit replaced  (Read 22679 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: TPMS unit replaced
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Michoacan, man, michoacan.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline phoneman

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
  So -- if someone was to remove both TPMS sensors from their wheels then they wouldn't get the warning message anymore ?

I'm not ready to do that yet as I still have a couple of years on the GTTP but Kawasaki might quit changing these under warranty.  The previous owner of my bike told me last Sunday that another local dealer had told him that they would not replace the sensors under warranty.

The dealer I go to didn't bat an eye.  Just said they were covered.

I rode to work this morning--about 29 degrees.  Both sensors were registering low battery.

When I got home this afternoon I just threw the bike down in the driveway.  But that's another story :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2013, 04:54:19 AM »
  So -- if someone was to remove both TPMS sensors from their wheels then they wouldn't get the warning message anymore ?

I'm not ready to do that yet as I still have a couple of years on the GTTP but Kawasaki might quit changing these under warranty.  The previous owner of my bike told me last Sunday that another local dealer had told him that they would not replace the sensors under warranty.

I rode to work this morning--about 29 degrees.  Both sensors were registering low battery.

When I got home this afternoon I just threw the bike down in the driveway.  But that's another story :(

Once the batteries go completely dead the low battery warning will stop taking over the screen. All you'll see when you scroll to the TPMS section of the screen is ---.

To answer your question. yes, you can remove the sensors from the wheels and you will not get the warnings any longer. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2013, 05:42:30 AM »
Interesting approach- I would not have thought of punishing those pesky sensors in that way.... did it work?   Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

What Conrad said- remove the sensors, remove any / all displays they generate on the LCD.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline phoneman

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »
  I can't tell if throwing the bike down the driveway helped the sensors any--but it made me feel better.

Not a lot better.  Maybe just a little. :'(

Thanks for the info regarding the sensors.  Just good to know.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 02:57:41 AM »
TPMS saved my bacon this morning...was running late for work so got on it HARD the moment I got entered the freeway! A damn u-bolt punctured/ripped the back tire and broke a chunk out of the hugger too, at waaaay above the posted speed limit. The low pressure warning flashed across the dash just before a set of high speed sweeps... :yikes: Tire lost all pressure within 3 to 4 seconds, so had I dipped the bike into the first sweep without knowing there was a problem..I wouldn't be sitting here typing this post! Brand new P3...only done 320km's on the damn thing!  :banghead: This is the second time the TPMS has shown its worth.  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2013, 04:38:40 AM »
TPMS saved my bacon this morning...was running late for work so got on it HARD the moment I got entered the freeway! A damn u-bolt punctured/ripped the back tire and broke a chunk out of the hugger too, at waaaay above the posted speed limit. The low pressure warning flashed across the dash just before a set of high speed sweeps... :yikes: Tire lost all pressure within 3 to 4 seconds, so had I dipped the bike into the first sweep without knowing there was a problem..I wouldn't be sitting here typing this post! Brand new P3...only done 320km's on the damn thing!  :banghead: This is the second time the TPMS has shown its worth.  :thumbs:

:thumbs:

What's the speed limit on the freeways in South Africa anyways?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »
:thumbs:

What's the speed limit on the freeways in South Africa anyways?

A boring 120km/h!!  ::)

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2013, 04:18:58 AM »
Can you take the sensors out without removing the wheel completely? I'm ready for tires but would like to try replacing the batteries in the sensors before hand. I get the low battery warning in the front wheel only when its cold. Never got it for the rear. I'm a big fan of the sensors. :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
Working on that right now. If the method works, I plan on buying a pile of batteries and offering the service on tech. day next May at the Malloy's house. We did a few last year but if we can speed up the process, coupled with the new sensors that Kawi is supplying being potted, we hope to do a lot more. I would recommend anyone having a C-14 NOT get the sensors replaced by Kawi even under warranty because it appears that the replacements will either be quite difficult or impossible to change batteries in.

Brian

Can you take the sensors out without removing the wheel completely? I'm ready for tires but would like to try replacing the batteries in the sensors before hand. I get the low battery warning in the front wheel only when its cold. Never got it for the rear. I'm a big fan of the sensors. :chugbeer:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jonathan

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »
I'm interested in the sensor removal method, BDF. I won't make it to the tech day though.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2013, 08:54:08 AM »
This may require a video post.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »
Yeah, I will document the method and at least take stills. Not sure about video but my wife's Iphone does do that I believe. Anyway, the method will be simple enough that it won't take a lot of special technique and I will only use tools that everyone will have easy access to. The really easy would be to use a porta- power and a jig but of course that wouldn't be practical for everyone else.

The next step of course is a methodology to change the batteries in the sensor. Again, it is pretty straight forward although there is no way around soldering so anyone interested will have to have at least an iron and some fluxed solder.

Brian

I'm interested in the sensor removal method, BDF. I won't make it to the tech day though.

This may require a video post.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
I just want to know how to turn the freaki screen off!!
The front warning stays on constantly, this morning had the rear for a short time. Can't turn back the clock with the warning screen on either. Hold the top button for 2 secs or 2 minutes.... Nuttin.
Argh!!
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
I believe that you have to hold both the upper and lower buttons at the same time.  Then you must say some sort of incantation usually beginning with  :censored: and ending with  :censored: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
The front warning stays on constantly, this morning had the rear for a short time. Can't turn back the clock with the warning screen on either. Hold the top button for 2 secs or 2 minutes.... Nuttin.  Argh!!

FAQ

I assume the universal "get rid of warning message" sequence will do it.  Press and hold top button then press the bottom button once, then let go of the top.  Per manual:

"When pushing the lower button with the upper button held in while the warning message and warning symbol
are displayed alternately in the multifunction meter, the display in the multifunction meter is shifted to the
previous display and then the warning indicator light goes on"

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »
Mean answer: Hold the top button in for four (4) minutes, wait exactly three (3) minutes, than hold the bottom button in for exactly four (4) minutes. :-)

Right answer: Hold top button in. Press and release bottom button and the warning will clear from the LCD, and the red warning LED will illuminate. Then release the top button. You will have to do this for each warning, one button sequence will NOT clear all warnings.

To change the clock: hold both buttons in for a while (not sure how long, but more than a couple of seconds) and the main set-up screen will come up. Then twiddle with the buttons until you get the time changing place, then twiddle some more to change the time. Of course there is a sequence but I cannot remember what it is, never look it up, and have been doing it and figuring it out again each time for six years now so I suspect there is no hope that I will ever learn the specific sequence. Twiddling has worked well enough so far. Just beware of the choices like "Deutch" 'cause that will come back to haunt you. :-)

Brian

The front warning stays on constantly, this morning had the rear for a short time. Can't turn back the clock with the warning screen on either. Hold the top button for 2 secs or 2 minutes.... Nuttin.
Argh!!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »
I believe that you have to hold both the upper and lower buttons at the same time.  Then you must say some sort of incantation usually beginning with  :censored: and ending with  :censored: .

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
No wonder nobody knows how to do it. I used to know how but after reading those instructions it is all gone.....

:-)

Brian

FAQ

I assume the universal "get rid of warning message" sequence will do it.  Press and hold top button then press the bottom button once, then let go of the top.  Per manual:

"When pushing the lower button with the upper button held in while the warning message and warning symbol
are displayed alternately in the multifunction meter, the display in the multifunction meter is shifted to the
previous display and then the warning indicator light goes on"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »
No wonder nobody knows how to do it. I used to know how but after reading those instructions it is all gone.....

That is why I paraphrased the manual before quoting the manual.  There are times the manual is not exactly "clear".  Many times.  Way too many times.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc