Author Topic: TPMS unit replaced  (Read 22619 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

TPMS unit replaced
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
Today I had the front sending unit replaced on my 09. It was done a few months back but apparently that unit had a bad battery. While I was there a San Jacinto police man was there (thats the city I live in) and he was having both front & rear sending units replaced in the cop Kawasaki Concours. The service man said they have been doing a lot of the lately.
I had them put on a new front tire as long as they had to take the old one off to replace the sending unit, I only had 8,000 miles on my 023 and had about 4 or 5,000 miles left on it but not being charged any labor total cost was only $118 for the new front tire

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: TPMS unit replaced
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
So why aren't the other manufactures who have/use TPS units having issues? >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
So why aren't the other manufactures who have/use TPS units having issues? >:(

How do you know they're not?
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
How do you know they're not?

I know these things..........
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
So why aren't the other manufactures who have/use TPS units having issues?

They are, the shop where I go is also a Yamaha and Honda shop. The service guy said good thing I have a Kawasaki because Yamaha is not covering the battery in their units, the battery in the Kawasaki unit has a 5 yr guarantee.
When I had my stock front tire changed the service guy talked me into putting Ride-On tire sealant in it. This stuff isn't like slime or other stop leak for tires, it will not coat the rims or destroy them. The police bike that was there having both the sending units replaced also had Ride-On in both tires, we did not have it put back in with the new tires (the cop bike got new tires also) it might have something to do with the sending units showing the LOW BATTERY message. I know a lot of police agencies, trash truck and a lot of other commercial vehicles use this stuff but it might not be good if you a TPMS.
http://www.ride-on.com/

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
Joe
Are you staying with the 023 tire?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »
I know these things..........

You are quite knowledgeable, but set in your wicked ways...

My daughter's Nissans have sensors and they both complain when it's cold...the sensors not the daughters.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:10:39 AM »
Joe
Are you staying with the 023 tire?
Yes, I have them front & rear, I have a friend with a Honda ST1300, he doesn't ride as hard as I do and he has 18,000 on his front 023.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »

My daughter's Nissans have sensors and they both complain when it's cold...the sensors not the daughters.

Ditto with my wife's Mazda CX-9.  But unlike the Kwak the Mazda only complains if it is left outside in sub 20 degree temperatures for an extended period of time.  Parked in the garage there is never a problem.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »

Most all vehicles with TPS can/will act up some when the temps are cold, these sensors in the C14 act up regardless of temps. :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Z71

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
I knew those tire pressure sensors were going to be a PITA soon.  Just a few days ago, I got a flashing message on the screen "TPS battery low" or something to that effect.  After about 15 minutes the message disappeared and the tire pressure was displayed normally for the remainder of  one hour ride.

The question I have is this:

Does the message mean that my individual pressure sensor batteries inside the tires need replacing, or is it the sending unit battery mounted somewhere on the bike?  Is all this covered by the basic 3 year warranty?  My dealer did not know.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
The battery in the sending unit in the rim is bad. They replace the sending unit not just the battery. It is covered by the 3 year warranty.  Actually my dealer told me that the battery has a 5 year warranty on it. If you wait until you need a new tire and get it replaced then you will not have to pay labor to have the tire installed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
Ug.  My 2011 has thrown a low battery on the TMPS for the first time ever.  Front tire.  It was the coldest it has been yet this season when sitting- around 44F and stayed on the screen maybe 15 seconds or so before going away.  I guess I can look forward to this becoming a normal occurrence/annoyance now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 05:15:55 AM »
Ug.  My 2011 has thrown a low battery on the TMPS for the first time ever.  Front tire.  It was the coldest it has been yet this season when sitting- around 44F and stayed on the screen maybe 15 seconds or so before going away.  I guess I can look forward to this becoming a normal occurrence/annoyance now.
At least until you finally let go of the oem tires.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 06:35:22 AM »
At least until you finally let go of the oem tires.  ;)

I am at 8158 miles now.  The rear is OK but the front is flat on the center and both sides, but especially the right side.  Pretty strange looking.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 07:07:06 AM »
From what I read over at the COG site Kawasaki is replacing the sensor with a new part that can not be opened up so that the battery can be replaced.  >:(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
From what I read over at the COG site Kawasaki is replacing the sensor with a new part that can not be opened up so that the battery can be replaced.  >:(

That is really odd and is the exact opposite of what they SHOULD do, which is replace it with something that is EASY to replace the battery (with every tire change).  Having a sealed battery on an inaccessible, expensive, and important part creates a huge amount of ill will and hassle.  And since it is often under warranty, it doesn't make them any money either... it costs them a LOT of money.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
There was also a teaser from Murph about possible acccess to sensors

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
There was also a teaser from Murph about possible access to sensors

?  Someone should cross-post

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »
Yeah.... that usually results in some one getting a 'pee-pee slap' if not an outright dogpile.

Just go over there and read the thread and all will be answered :-)

Brian

?  Someone should cross-post
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com