Author Topic: Windshield backpressure  (Read 16049 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Windshield backpressure
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:37 AM »
Dude, I know that it's a joke. The problem is that not everyone has a sense of humor.

And therein lies the problem...lack of humor.  I think it's genetic in nature.  Maybe a gene gone bad or something.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 05:13:10 AM »
And now, back to back pressure, please.  This has been a nice digression and somewhat cathartic, but I do really want to understand back pressure as it relates to a screen.

Here are some links that talk about 'back pressure' that I found on the Web...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html

http://www.microverse.on.ca/cd175/windshield.htm

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Buffeting.htm

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:47:17 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
+1
Not just for telling you to search, but telling you you basically suck. And locking the thread. Seems like most of the regulars in here are in prison or worse, and have a problematic backup of testosterone.

1) Start a thread on a negative note; one should expect that it will take turn in that direction.
2) Hostile Forum members? Sadly that does not speak well of some it's members does it?
3) Threads being locked? Jim moves lots of threads into locations that he deems more appropriate. 2ndly Jim does not allow threads that have degenerated into a waste of band width to continue.
4) Think we are being too PC? Too bad as this is an open forum (think family oriented) excessively fowl or hostile threads lowers the respectability level of the forum and it's members.
5) Have a complaint? PM the Mods it will be heard and addressed. You may not get the results you want but it will be heard and noted...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 06:22:38 AM »
Our screens have a vent or space under the shield that changes a bit depending on where it's positioned. The side spacing on the CB Euro really changes due to the 'wings' it has on the bottom sides.  All of that affects the wind flow and can cause pressure or buffeting I guess.  I also have the gauge cluster shield that one of our members made available sometime ago.  I may remove that and see if it changes anything.  I know that if I had an inch or two more on the height I would be in quiet air but it would be a tad warm in the summer months.  What I want is a shield that will give me lots of air without noise and buffeting in the summer and protection in the winter.  I don't think I can get that, though.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
Is this thread about a windshield or ZG forum etiquette?

The '10 has rectangular holes cut in the black part of the dash that address the back pressure, I can run my tall cee bailey's in the sky and its not an issue. Not sure of years before then but would suspect the dash looks hacked up on them too for air

edit:  for those lacking thick skin:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 06:30:23 AM »

The '10 has rectangular holes cut in the black part of the dash that address the back pressure, I can run my tall cee bailey's in the sky and its not an issue. Not sure of years before then but would suspect the dash looks hacked up on them too for air

The 08/09s don't have this vent, Steve.  I think that Kawi realized there was an issue with back pressure/buffeting and added that to the 10's onward.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
The 08/09s don't have this vent, Steve.  I think that Kawi realized there was an issue with back pressure/buffeting and added that to the 10's onward.

Oh well there is a simple solution for that too  :D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »
Interesting, but I don't think so......although somewhat intriguing in nature.  I haven't inspected a 10 model onward so I don't know where those vents are and if they could be retrofitted to the 08/09 models without intensive heartburn.  Could you post some pics of your vents, Steve.  You like taking pictures and all that...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
Oh well there is a simple solution for that too  :D

Is that for the windshield or the whiners?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 06:56:51 AM »
Is that for the windshield or the whiners?

Actually for the dash vents like the '10 has. But maybe it can be considered a "multi-purpose" tool!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
Wow ! was not expecting it to go 3 page ! But it is good read !! :) I like a bit of diversion on topics - not too much to invite the thread locker (*ducks*) - but enough to keep it interesting. It is more fun !

I will have to check out Steve's picture when I get home. At work, the picture won't pull up.

As most of you already stated, the back pressure I am talking about is the wind rushing in from the side and back and hitting me. Someone in the older forum mentioned the vent on the Calci prevents the vacuum that causes this affect. And then there was someone else that cut some nice looking holes on a VStream and was pretty happy with the result.

On another note, I do not know my materials well - is the Cee Baily Acrylic or polycarbonate?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/concours14ws.html

According to their website it's aircraft grade acrylic.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »
Dude, I know that it's a joke. The problem is that not everyone has a sense of humor.

There ought to a thread for that!
Maybe I'll do a search...
 8)
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 08:44:31 AM »
Interesting, but I don't think so......although somewhat intriguing in nature.  I haven't inspected a 10 model onward so I don't know where those vents are and if they could be retrofitted to the 08/09 models without intensive heartburn.  Could you post some pics of your vents, Steve.  You like taking pictures and all that...

I didn't know that the later models had these vents, I rode a '10 and didn't even notice.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
I didn't know that the later models had these vents, I rode a '10 and didn't even notice.

Paging any riders with a 10 onwards....we need pics of the vents if you have them.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »
so glad i went with the cal sci.

Offline koval68

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »
And therein lies the problem...lack of humor.  I think it's genetic in nature.  Maybe a gene gone bad or something.
My 2 cents (re:humor):
I think the next best thing to solving a problem is finding some humor in it
.  ~Frank A. Clark
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 10:03:36 AM »
I remember the last time someone told Kirby to do a search.... This is how I found him.

Sure, you guys all think this is a big joke until you drive someone too far- I do not think you really appreciate how hurtful it is to have a complete stranger tell you on a public forum to do a search on a subject. In the end, Kirby tried to end it all by jumping out of a window on the 20th floor of the local bank..... Fortunately for all of us, he weighs almost nothing and given his shape, he just sort of twirled gently, all the way down like a maple seed. The last thing I heard him scream was "COOL" when he landed and then raced back into the building to do it again. It might not work out so well for the next person, especially if that person is really a person.

Brian

edit:  for those lacking thick skin:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
I see that Kirby is taking those blue pills, no wonder he's so stiff.    (someone had to say it)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
They are Naproxen Sodium, a generic brand of Aleve. My owner is too cheap to buy me the real stuff and says the knock- off brands are good enough for old rodents. I use them for the headaches I sometimes get after dealing with humans.....

Sorry, that is not my good side. I really don't have a good side but the other side is 'less bad'.

Kirby

I see that Kirby is taking those blue pills, no wonder he's so stiff.    (someone had to say it)
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society