Author Topic: My Bike Got Dropped- By the Dealer Mechanic  (Read 8763 times)

Offline danl

My Bike Got Dropped- By the Dealer Mechanic
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
Took it in for the 600 mile service today, 10am, got a call at 1230 that she was done, and oh, we're sorry to say this, but your bike got dropped. I thought they were joking at first, but they were not. There is minimal damage. So I had to wait all afternoon with this pit in my stomach until my wife got home from work and took me down. Damage was a little more than minimal, but not real bad.

The mechanic had come back from test riding it after the service, had to negotiate around a tow truck in the lot, and hit a hole and fell over on the right side. Scratched up the saddlebag, pipe, axle bolt cover, various scratches all down the side of the fairing. They had already ordered the parts to fix it by the time I got there. I never heard so many apologies. We've bought 5 bikes from this place and they do all our service, and this is the 1st time we've ever had an incident. What can I do, it was an accident and they are making it right. At least nothing is cracked and flapping in the wind and I can still ride it. I'm going to ask them for the old parts just in case I have a need for them in the future. Hopefully not but you never know. When the service dept told the general manager what had happened, and he went back there, he said "please tell me it's not the bike with the temp tag", but it was!

Offline Barry

• Arena
Re: My Bike Got Dropped- By the Dealer Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:24 PM »
Good attitude.  If it's a solid shop, people are human, no shenanigans, I'd say your resonse is reasonable.

Def. get the scuffed parts!!!  $$$ there.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
sorry it happened

(but)

we are all human and ka ka does happen. am sure they will make it all good
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Flathead

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
Ouch!! SOunds like a good dealer though, hope it all turns out good.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:02:33 AM »
That's why businesses carry insurance for such things.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:20:26 AM »
danl,

Sorry that this happened. But it does sound like you have a good dealer.
When it's all said and done and your bike is fixed, please post up the name of your dealer.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline stewart

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:06:25 AM »
I experienced this once, dealer in Australia was servicing my 1st ZZR 250 and dented tha tank. They claimed it was there when I brought it in...we argued for months and I gave up. They eventually went out of business, so there was Karma.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline danl

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:05 AM »
I'll post the dealer name once it's all resolved. They've treated us well over the course of 5 bikes, if we didn't like them we'd go somewhere else. There is another yamakawihonda dealer about the same distance away, and they didn't treat us like we deserved their time a few years ago when we were looking for a new bike for my wife, so we never went back. That's how it goes- treat me well, you get my business, treat me like you don't care, you won't get my business.

Stewart, this place does a walkaround of your bike with you and notes any scratches, dings, etc on the service form, that way, everyone knows what was there before in case anything new happens. It's for their protection as well as mine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:33:26 AM »
Sounds like my kind of place.  Please post the name and where they are located once this gets resolved.  Dealers like this we need to support as much as possible.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stewart

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
Stewart, this place does a walkaround of your bike with you and notes any scratches, dings, etc on the service form, that way, everyone knows what was there before in case anything new happens. It's for their protection as well as mine.

I like that, might suggest it to my dealer as an improvement.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:20:12 AM »
It protects them as well as us.  I like it, too.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »
Yet another reason to do the 600 mile service yourself........and most others as well. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:03 AM »
Yep people are people and things do happen. I'm glad their going to make it right. That's the kind of business that people will return to.
I'll post the dealer name once it's all resolved. They've treated us well over the course of 5 bikes, if we didn't like them we'd go somewhere else. There is another yamakawihonda dealer about the same distance away, and they didn't treat us like we deserved their time a few years ago when we were looking for a new bike for my wife, so we never went back. That's how it goes- treat me well, you get my business, treat me like you don't care, you won't get my business.

This is one of the reasons I'm on a C14 & not an FJR. When I was looking to upgrade from my 1200 Bandit the people at the Yamaha dealer acted like I was a second class citizen. Couldn't get any help assitance or anything. I even sat on the bike with that I want this look in my eye. Nope they just didn't have the time for me. That left a bad tase in my mouth for all things Yamaha. A couple of months later I was in the Kawa dealer getting parts for a Jet ski and decided to sit on a C14. The sales man told me about the deeply discounted 09's and the rest is history. They have treated me like gold since I walked in the door & take great care of my connie in the service department. When I needed my bike programmed for 2 new fobs I worked out a deal to swap my stock seat for the labor.
Sorry about the hijack, I just wanted to relate that not all dealers are stealers.  :D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline mkorn

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
This is one of my biggest fears ... but it sounds like they and you are taking the right attitude and taking care of it. 
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
The dealer has dropped my bike three times... Yeah, the dealer did it, that's the ticket.
Couldn't have been me, no way. ;)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stewart

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 09:51:17 AM »
This is one of the reasons I'm on a C14 & not an FJR. When I was looking to upgrade from my 1200 Bandit the people at the Yamaha dealer acted like I was a second class citizen. Couldn't get any help assitance or anything. I even sat on the bike with that I want this look in my eye. Nope they just didn't have the time for me. That left a bad tase in my mouth for all things Yamaha. A couple of months later I was in the Kawa dealer getting parts for a Jet ski and decided to sit on a C14. The sales man told me about the deeply discounted 09's and the rest is history. They have treated me like gold since I walked in the door & take great care of my connie in the service department. When I needed my bike programmed for 2 new fobs I worked out a deal to swap my stock seat for the labor.
Sorry about the hijack, I just wanted to relate that not all dealers are stealers.  :D

Isn't this where someone says the Free Market should address that. Having come from Retail myself (now in IT) I agree that good service, good quality, good price etc etc should win out, and the weak die....but the world and that model is not perfect.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
My dealer (The Owner actually) dropped my bike before I bought it and tried to fix it all up before I got there to take delivery. I noticed a small mark on the bike  and started asking questions and he fessed up that he had dropped the bike just the night before! Stuff happens I guess.

Offline Khrome

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »
Ouch...  :o 

I try to do as much as I can at the house, but recalls and such there isn't much of a choice.  I have had other bikes scratched before but not dropped  :( My dealer I feel would make it right if it happened but I hope I never have to test those waters...

Hope they can get your parts quickly.
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
Hit a hole? What deal leaves a hole right in his parking lot? A bag of sackrete does cost a lot, compared to bike parts.
2008 C-14

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
Yet another reason to do the 600 mile service yourself........and most others as well. ;)

I to like to do most of my own work but I all so like the dealer to do some of the stuff I don't want to do hence the 600 mile ck up by them and most others by me  ;D
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told