Author Topic: Oil analysis  (Read 23597 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Oil analysis
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
I'd really like to participate in such a thing. I don't live in the USA so it's out of the question, but I'm really looking forward to the results you guys will (hopefully) post.
And of course I'm not paranoic. Why? who told you so? tell me!!!
Martin, if you are interested pm me and we'll see what it might take to help.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
I have 4000 miles on my bike with Maxima Ultima real synthetic. When I change it at the 7500 mark, I'll send a sample in- I'd be real happy to see how it compares to the cheap Rotella group III stuff.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
Why?  Well, read the first link in the first post.  :loco:

A few new bikes may be having problems with gas getting into the oil, including some new ones being used in service duty.

It's more of a survey to see if there are degrees of this happening to many, or just a few who have it happening really badly.

Participation is optional, but for those that are curious, the information is provided.  For the rest of you, just go ride!

More like 0.001% have the issues you describe.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
I can think of a whole lot of things that I can spend time worrying or being concerned about, and this for sure aint one of them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Then don't.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
Then don't.

Believe me........I'm not.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
I for one noticed the same issue on my previous oil change.  Drained half a quart to get the level back down.  Gonna check my level tomorrow since i just got the bike back from the movers late today, and it's been about 2000 miles since my last oil change.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
About the only thing it can be is an injector leaking but if the oil level is going up that much I wouldn't  think you would need an oil analysis to tell you that.  I would get it to a dealer to check out assuming it's under warranty.  I would also think you would smell gas fumes after you take the oil cap off.  The only other thing could be coolant but I've never heard of that happening to these engines and the oil would be brownish if that were happening.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »
These bikes are so reliable we bottom feed for things to post

True dat...  :thumbs:

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »
Paranoia will destroy ya........ride more and worry less.

Amen!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
I just picked this post to reply to, not inferring anything :)

I have 4000 miles on my bike with Maxima Ultima real synthetic. When I change it at the 7500 mark, I'll send a sample in- I'd be real happy to see how it compares to the cheap Rotella group III stuff.

Oil analysis does provide some very useful information. But only if a baseline is established beforehand. Typically it'd be the 'normal' chemistry of the oil/engine, and how it wears (ie: what shows up in the analysis... every time).

Consider engines in our typical motor-scooters are basically throw away, so spending $15-$50 on an analysis every XYZ miles might also be considered throw away too ;) Really, if you watched you graph over time, and suddenly found an increase in steel in the latest analysis, what would you do? Jerk the engine to find out why? And repair it? I kinda doubt it.

Not like we're running a $100k inline 12 cylinder NatGas fired air compressor, nor a $200k+ diesel tug engine. Both hold barrels of $5/qt oil, and both may benefit from an early detection of 'stuff' in the oil.

FWIW, I change oil and filter when I change tires. That'd be about every 10k miles. Done this sixteen times (+/-). Do the math ;)

Having an oil analysis done is a neat farkle though, but kinda moot in my book ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
I just picked this post to reply to, not inferring anything :)

Oil analysis does provide some very useful information. But only if a baseline is established beforehand. Typically it'd be the 'normal' chemistry of the oil/engine, and how it wears (ie: what shows up in the analysis... every time).

Consider engines in our typical motor-scooters are basically throw away, so spending $15-$50 on an analysis every XYZ miles might also be considered throw away too ;) Really, if you watched you graph over time, and suddenly found an increase in steel in the latest analysis, what would you do? Jerk the engine to find out why? And repair it? I kinda doubt it.

Not like we're running a $100k inline 12 cylinder NatGas fired air compressor, nor a $200k+ diesel tug engine. Both hold barrels of $5/qt oil, and both may benefit from an early detection of 'stuff' in the oil.

FWIW, I change oil and filter when I change tires. That'd be about every 10k miles. Done this sixteen times (+/-). Do the math ;)

Having an oil analysis done is a neat farkle though, but kinda moot in my book ;)

Rick

My understanding is you take new oil of the type you are going to test, and the used oil to be tested (analyzed)... and there is your delta from baseline.

Nobody is going to yank a motor over an analysis, but if you test at 5K, and are fine, and 10K, and are fine, and 15K, and the the oil is beginning to brake down or has some contaminants in it... well, then you have determined that somewhere between 10K and 15K you wanna' dump your oil.

THAT is what an oil analysis does for joe homeowner.  Maximizes oil change intervals.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Me, I dump mine at reasonable intervals, because I have 4 motorcycles, an RV, 3 cars, 2 lawn mowers, a weed whacker, and a chain saw.  That is a L - O - T of oil testing.  Ain't doing it.

YMMV,
Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
My understanding is you take new oil of the type you are going to test, and the used oil to be tested (analyzed)... and there is your delta from baseline.

Nobody is going to yank a motor over an analysis, but if you test at 5K, and are fine, and 10K, and are fine, and 15K, and the the oil is beginning to brake down or has some contaminants in it... well, then you have determined that somewhere between 10K and 15K you wanna' dump your oil.

THAT is what an oil analysis does for joe homeowner.  Maximizes oil change intervals.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Me, I dump mine at reasonable intervals, because I have 4 motorcycles, an RV, 3 cars, 2 lawn mowers, a weed whacker, and a chain saw.  That is a L - O - T of oil testing.  Ain't doing it.

YMMV,
Barry

You change the oil in your weed whacker and chain saw?  Maybe that is why neither of mine never run right.  Here all this time I thought I was supposed to run a 40:1 mix.   ;)

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
HAHAH... Whacker with a dry sump.  VERY rare.

:o
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline booger

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 07:49:15 AM »
I've been involved in some high HP natural gas compressors where we did oil testing religiously.  But we used the analysis to the extent we would pull a major overhaul just because of the readings.  It might be the difference between a $25K minor or a $150K major.

Oil testing on my cars or motorcycles?  No way.  I'm not going to do a major overhaul based on oil testing.  I'm going to drive them till they fail.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »
It would be very difficult indeed to kill one of our engines unless one did it deliberately by not doing any maintenance at all.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
The owners manual already states how long you can safely go between changes, and that includes not changing the filter every time. See........I just saved you all time and money.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »
You certainly did and we thank you for that!  :hail:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 09:02:27 AM »
The owners manual already states how long you can safely go between changes, and that includes not changing the filter every time. See........I just saved you all time and money.

That's Pokey, he's a giver that one.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn