Author Topic: Oil analysis  (Read 23621 times)

Offline okxd45

Re: Oil analysis
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
I for one noticed the same issue on my previous oil change.  Drained half a quart to get the level back down.  Gonna check my level tomorrow since i just got the bike back from the movers late today, and it's been about 2000 miles since my last oil change.

Well......I'm replying to myself.  Finally had a chance to check the oil since the move and again the sigh glass shows completely full.  That's got to be a good half quart of fuel in the oil.(?)  I'm thinking I'm taking it to the dealer while I have a warranty.  Hated to bring up an old thread, but did anyone ever get some analysis results?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 03:56:49 AM »
Oil change is due soon. I've got the bottle from the lab waiting. I don't know if anyone on the cog forum has done this yet. I haven't checked back in a while.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
Well......I'm replying to myself.  Finally had a chance to check the oil since the move and again the sigh glass shows completely full.  That's got to be a good half quart of fuel in the oil.(?)  I'm thinking I'm taking it to the dealer while I have a warranty.  Hated to bring up an old thread, but did anyone ever get some analysis results?
Try this. On a clean piece of white paper put a drop of oil out your engine and a drop of clean oil and a drop of fuel. If there is fuel in your oil it will make a lighter ring around the dark oil spot. The drops of clean oil and fuel will help you compare.

Stolen from a truck forum

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »

"Highly unlikely" that fuel is in your oil.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline okxd45

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
Try this. On a clean piece of white paper put a drop of oil out your engine and a drop of clean oil and a drop of fuel. If there is fuel in your oil it will make a lighter ring around the dark oil spot. The drops of clean oil and fuel will help you compare.

Stolen from a truck forum

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline okxd45

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
"Highly unlikely" that fuel is in your oil.

Well.......it's definitely not coolant; so it would have to be fuel. There has to be something to explain the increase in volume.(?)
Jeff

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »
An oil thread with *drama*  !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Well.......it's definitely not coolant; so it would have to be fuel. There has to be something to explain the increase in volume.(?)

The fuel should be laying on top of the oil then..........should be obvious it is fuel?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
The fuel should be laying on top of the oil then..........should be obvious it is fuel?

I would think they would mix together just fine.  Think 2-stroke engines which run a gas/oil mix.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
I would think they would mix together just fine.  Think 2-stroke engines which run a gas/oil mix.

I have seen gas leak down into engine from carb, I reckon that is what I was refering to. It was pretty obvious cause the gas was sitting right on top of the oil, could always drain a bit and see how quickly the oil catches on fire? ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Fascinating thread indeed. I'm interested in how the oil in the pan got "more".
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2011, 04:13:03 AM »
I have seen gas leak down into engine from carb, I reckon that is what I was refering to. It was pretty obvious cause the gas was sitting right on top of the oil, could always drain a bit and see how quickly the oil catches on fire? ;)

And it can leak from a fuel injector....  We've had at least one member with that situation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
Condensation?  Does the oil get "frothy" after riding?  Check the site glass just after a brisk ride.  If condensation, it will show a frothy, almost milky appearance.  I am also doubting that much fuel in your oil.  It would have to be a major engine problem and it would show itself in other places, like black exhaust if fuel, or white/blue exhaust if coolant. 
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline okxd45

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
Condensation?  Does the oil get "frothy" after riding?  Check the site glass just after a brisk ride.  If condensation, it will show a frothy, almost milky appearance.  I am also doubting that much fuel in your oil.  It would have to be a major engine problem and it would show itself in other places, like black exhaust if fuel, or white/blue exhaust if coolant.

Nothing frothy here.  I drained about 1/4 quart (yes I know.........8 oz). The oil is already pretty dark, seems to have lost viscosity, and smells like fuel.  This after only 1800 miles.  I dropped it off at a dealership today, but I'm worried some what. When I handed him the fob he said, "oh........one of those." This dealership was in a very small town with a lot of dirt bikes. Hoping to be surprised.
Jeff

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »
You have not by chance used any type of fuel system or fuel injector cleaner recently, have you? If so, that stuff will thin oil and turn it black in a very short time. Just a thought.

Brian

Nothing frothy here.  I drained about 1/4 quart (yes I know.........8 oz). The oil is already pretty dark, seems to have lost viscosity, and smells like fuel.  This after only 1800 miles.  I dropped it off at a dealership today, but I'm worried some what. When I handed him the fob he said, "oh........one of those." This dealership was in a very small town with a lot of dirt bikes. Hoping to be surprised.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline okxd45

« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 05:30:21 AM »
I have used seafoam a few times since I've had the bike, but not since my last oil change. Would 8oz of fuel in the oil after 1800 miles constitute a problem?
Jeff

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
Seems to me it would...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2011, 06:24:03 AM »
Yes. I believe 2% would be considered too much, and in a C-14 that would only be about 3 fl. oz. of gasoline in the crankcase oil. The mileage does not really matter because the gasoline should be driven out of the oil fast enough so you only have very recent gasoline still in the crankcase oil, assuming the engine is coming up to full operating temperature every time it is started.

Just a thought but be careful how and when you measure the oil level. The oil level in the sight glass of my C-14 climbs quite a bit overnight so if you check the oil level in the morning it may be higher than it was before only because the engine has had time to fully drain.

Brian

I have used seafoam a few times since I've had the bike, but not since my last oil change. Would 8oz of fuel in the oil after 1800 miles constitute a problem?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Khrome

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
You have not by chance used any type of fuel system or fuel injector cleaner recently, have you? If so, that stuff will thin oil and turn it black in a very short time. Just a thought.

Brian

Never used any in a bike but good to know.
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »
Wow this thread is off topic  :D