Author Topic: Oil analysis  (Read 23599 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Oil analysis
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
The owners manual already states how long you can safely go between changes, and that includes not changing the filter every time. See........I just saved you all time and money.

Thanks Poke, since you have enlightened me I will split the difference with you.  You should have a check in your mailbox this week.  ;D

5,000 + mile oil change intervals have commenced.  I will go with it until the shifter feels a little notchy.  Good thing I don't still use T6, I would be changing every 1,500-2,000 miles, that would be at least once a month (3 times last month)!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 09:04:19 AM »
When did curiosity and the quest for knowledge, however irrelevent to some, become the object of derision and ridicule? There are many subjects and dicussions here that I have no interest in and I think are somewhat superfluous but that doesn't mean that others aren't interested. Don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has an opinion and the forums are a vehicle to express them, myself included. For the cost of less than two tanks of fuel I can gain a tidbit of information about the condition of the oil in my engine. Whether this information has any long term value remains to be seen. Just wondering.

Carry on.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
When did curiosity and the quest for knowledge, however irrelevent to some, become the object of derision and ridicule? There are many subjects and dicussions here that I have no interest in and I think are somewhat superfluous but that doesn't mean that others aren't interested. Don't get me wrong, I realize that everyone has an opinion and the forums are a vehicle to express them, myself included. For the cost of less than two tanks of fuel I can gain a tidbit of information about the condition of the oil in my engine. Whether this information has any long term value remains to be seen. Just wondering.

Carry on.

Nothing wrong with the quest for knowledge at all, or for being curious for that matter. No ridiculing is meant, just those of us that feel some worry and are "over-curious" for nothing. Oil this and oil that is a subject beaten to death, unless dirt and other gunk make it into your engine.......the chances of having problems "before you sell the bike" are slim to none. All oil is pretty much so dang good across the board, that using anything within the specs required is going to serve you more than well. I do feel that synthetics have a slight advantage over high quality dino oils, but the oil companies and "testing companies" want you to be paranoid and spend the extra coin on their products or services. I run Rotella/Castrol in my C14 and Yamalube in my WR250R, and I don't see myself changing how I do things. Dont go cheap on any filtration, get the best out there, but doing anything above what the OEM specifies is typically pointless IMHO. We all gotta do what we feel we gotta do, I for one aint gonna sweat the small stuff. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
When did curiosity and the quest for knowledge, however irrelevent to some, become the object of derision and ridicule?

Carry on.

It's been like that ever since more than two human beings could communicate.  There's always been someone to give a loud

Nelson    when needed.

It happens here in spite of my best efforts to control it....but sometimes...just sometimes it takes control of me, I fear, and I can't do anything about it.

Thank goodness for people who don't have the sarcasm or ridicule gene as they most likely were the ones who sent us to the moon and eventually to Mars.  We need more serious thinking people like that to balance out us mentally unstable types..  So here's a resounding cheer to them

Crowd cheer sound effect

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:23:15 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 11:40:12 AM »
Nothing wrong with the quest for knowledge at all, or for being curious for that matter. No ridiculing is meant, just those of us that feel some worry and are "over-curious" for nothing. Oil this and oil that is a subject beaten to death, unless dirt and other gunk make it into your engine.......the chances of having problems "before you sell the bike" are slim to none. All oil is pretty much so dang good across the board, that using anything within the specs required is going to serve you more than well. I do feel that synthetics have a slight advantage over high quality dino oils, but the oil companies and "testing companies" want you to be paranoid and spend the extra coin on their products or services. I run Rotella/Castrol in my C14 and Yamalube in my WR250R, and I don't see myself changing how I do things. Dont go cheap on any filtration, get the best out there, but doing anything above what the OEM specifies is typically pointless IMHO. We all gotta do what we feel we gotta do, I for one aint gonna sweat the small stuff. 8)

And after all this, it still completely misses the point of the original post.  The original intent was not to start a thread about oil comparisons, quality, or how much dirt and gunk was in the oil after X miles of usage, but if FUEL was getting into the OIL.

As you previously stated, there are only "about 0.001%" with the problem.  And yes, no one else *should* have the problem.  The original post was just an attempt to see if anyone on this site was interested in the problem enough to check their bike as more of a proof it wasn't happening in lesser degrees to others, hopefully proving there are just a few new bikes with a serious issue, rather than a lot of bikes with varying degrees of the problem.

Perhaps if anyone is curious, the suggestion Jim made about checking the smell of the oil for fuel would be good (OK everyone, pause here and go sniff your crankcase!).  I don't know if the smell of fuel would be detectable, but if your bike is having this issue, it might.

I will not be testing mine either, as my oil level does not budge from where it starts after a oil change.  It does go through gas pretty fast, but I'm sure it's going out the tail pipe, and not into the oil.  I do, however, understand the OP's original post.

Sadly, on this site, if the word OIL and TEST come up in the same post, it turns into a dreaded oil thread.

/rant.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »
And after all this, it still completely misses the point of the original post.  The original intent was not to start a thread about oil comparisons, quality, or how much dirt and gunk was in the oil after X miles of usage, but if FUEL was getting into the OIL.

As you previously stated, there are only "about 0.001%" with the problem.  And yes, no one else *should* have the problem.  The original post was just an attempt to see if anyone on this site was interested in the problem enough to check their bike as more of a proof it wasn't happening in lesser degrees to others, hopefully proving there are just a few new bikes with a serious issue, rather than a lot of bikes with varying degrees of the problem.

Perhaps if anyone is curious, the suggestion Jim made about checking the smell of the oil for fuel would be good (OK everyone, pause here and go sniff your crankcase!).  I don't know if the smell of fuel would be detectable, but if your bike is having this issue, it might.

I will not be testing mine either, as my oil level does not budge from where it starts after a oil change.  It does go through gas pretty fast, but I'm sure it's going out the tail pipe, and not into the oil.  I do, however, understand the OP's original post.

Sadly, on this site, if the word OIL and TEST come up in the same post, it turns into a dreaded oil thread.

/rant.

How about "any" moto site!!!!! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »

/rant.

Don't feel bad, it seemed to go the same way when this was posted on the COG site. Okay, it didn't go this way. This thread actually did start there though in a thread about fuel getting in the crankcase. They wanted to see how widespread the issue was. Quite frankly, if you aren't seeing a problem, you probably don't have one. All an oil analysis will do is make you worry over minute amounts of impurities found that basically add up to normal.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
4 pages of "oil Test", I realize KiPass works miracles and there are few flaws and breakdowns to report but wow, just wow @ 4 pages of "Oil Test"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
It's an interesting thread, on many fronts. It appears most have a preconceived outcome that in an 'oil' thread, you're either an idiot or a moron :)

I looked at oil testing from an aviation engine POV (high cube, air cooled, pancake four). The oil is generally fine, it's engine bits that usually show up in an analysis. In this scenario an engine failure at 15,000' over Lake Michigan could have a negative outcome. Early detection of an impending engine failure may be a bonus.

The other side, and it was mentioned earlier, is depletion of the oil additives. A case would be Teecro who oversees a rather large stationary engine. Changing out 100 gallons of crankcase oil 'just because' could be a waste of labor and materials. Better to do an analysis and see what additives need to be adjusted.

As to our bikes (whackers, lawn mowers, R/C engines), knock yerself out :) I kinda equate it to having a digital prostrate exam when you're 20. Should be done, but it's way early in life, and the results will probably not change a lifestyle. If you want a report as to what's in there, who am I (or any one of us) to argue :)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline PH14

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
It's an interesting thread, on many fronts. It appears most have a preconceived outcome that in an 'oil' thread, you're either an idiot or a moron :)

Rick

I don't think the majority perceive it to be an oil thread, they just believe the oil test to me unnecessary. I have never done one on any of my cars or motorcycles in the course of my life and have had high mileage cars with no major problems. Change the oil and maintain the bike and you should be fine. We are not dealing with aviation here, we are dealing with motorcycles.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tim

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:37 AM »
It might be interesting to see what oil analysis had to show over a period of time. If a motor started making iron does this mean the cam shafts are wearing? I think continued regular oil/filter changes along with preventive maintenance make for a long and happy engine life.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
It might be interesting to see what oil analysis had to show over a period of time. If a motor started making iron does this mean the cam shafts are wearing? I think continued regular oil/filter changes along with preventive maintenance make for a long and happy engine life.

If the analysis is a a good one (some can be expensive), they can narrow down the type of iron. Cams are one type, crank is another. Silica (air filter leaking, or open crankcase), bearing wear, aluminum content, and of course combustion by-products and additive level/depletion.

You may gain some insight by cutting the oil filter open and seeing what's inside.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Son of Pappy

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
-snip-
You may gain some insight by cutting the oil filter open and seeing what's inside.

Rick
And a coffee filter between drain and catch can.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
And a coffee filter between drain and catch can.

I was thinking about that the other day.  I didn't think it would work since the oil would just try to shove the coffee filter down the drain hole in the pan.  I will try it on my next oil change.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
I did it my first and second change, I was amazed at how much silver showed up the first change, second looked great, did changes at 100 and 500 miles.

Offline PH14

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »
I did it my first and second change, I was amazed at how much silver showed up the first change, second looked great, did changes at 100 and 500 miles.

That's pretty normal with a new motorcycle engine, especially one that shares lubrication with the transmission.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
Am I dreaming or did we have a long thread on the old crashed forum about oil analysis with multiple actual results posted?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
No and yes.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.