Author Topic: Post MotoGP, just wondering how would our C14s fare?  (Read 12486 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Post MotoGP, just wondering how would our C14s fare?
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »
I was out at practice on Friday and quals on Saturday. I got to wondering how a C14 would fare on the IMS MotoGP track with appropriate tires but otherwise stock. I think the pole was about 1:39.25 for the big bikes and the 125s were 1:49 or so. The Harleys were in the 1:57/1:58 range. I am guessing a C14 would best the Harleys but would one be capable of running with the 125's or even faster? This is assuming an experienced racer on the bike of course. With my skills and balls, I'd be lucky to break 3:00!

Just curious, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Post MotoGP, just wondering how would our C14s fare?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »
I don't think they'd ever hang with or see lap times of the light nimble 125s on that track, do you? Seems enough straights to make up for for all the braking and turning going on?

You were there, you could probably answer best
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »
I am amazed the 125s are within 12 seconds of the big bikes! I don't know much about the XR1200 Harleys but I would expect a C14 to be way quicker than them. They looked pretty slow compared to the big bikes coming out of the last turn and runnin down the front stretch. Even the 125s looked fast in comparison.
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
I am amazed the 125s are within 12 seconds of the big bikes! I don't know much about the XR1200 Harleys but I would expect a C14 to be way quicker than them. They looked pretty slow compared to the big bikes coming out of the last turn and runnin down the front stretch. Even the 125s looked fast in comparison.

Yeah its all about braking and turning on the track.  And the C14 isn't that quick, my CBR600RR made 20 less horsepower but ate my C14 alive on acceleration because it was light as a feather and my C14 was a dump truck in weight comparison.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
I agree with Steve.  And the weight of the Concours would eat tires and brakes running at a race pace for any length of time. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
Last two posts sum it up quite well. 

At the recent training event I was at where Chris "Teach" McNeil was instructing we were talking about his BMW S1000 RR.  Chris said it's a very capable bike, but he can cook the brakes on it in 15 minutes on the right track.  It is easily 200-250 lbs. lighter than a C14.
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:50:16 AM »
I'd be surprised if the C14 could keep up with track setup Harley XR1200s.
If you replaced the tyres, forks and shock, then maybe, but even then the Hardleys are very light.
You'd be very surprised how hard it is to keep up with someone on even a small bike that is setup for the track.
A friend has a CBR400RR that is his track-day special and another friend who has a road legal R1 cannot stay with him on the track, even with both running slicks.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realize weight made up that much difference over HP. The way they were talking on the PA, the Harleys were stock bikes with the exception of tires and exhaust, the latter provided by Vance and Hines, the series title sponsor.
I have always wanted to do some track time but always figured I would be in the way more than anything.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realize weight made up that much difference over HP. The way they were talking on the PA, the Harleys were stock bikes with the exception of tires and exhaust, the latter provided by Vance and Hines, the series title sponsor.
I have always wanted to do some track time but always figured I would be in the way more than anything.

Matt

In most cases, someone is "in the way" because of their riding ability, not the limitations of the bike they are riding.  Plenty of Gixxer 1000s parking in corners at a track day near you!

; )

Barry

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »
In most cases, someone is "in the way" because of their riding ability, not the limitations of the bike they are riding.  Plenty of Gixxer 1000s parking in corners at a track day near you!

; )

Barry

That was pretty much my point. I could be on the fastest, best tuned race bike and a good rider on a wore out old Honda Shadow 750 would still smoke me on the track! I have "performance anxiety" on corner entry 95% of the time. I am working on it but it is still there.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
Check out schools in your area for a non race oriented track day, here in the PNW ( www.pugetsoundsafety.com ) we have a session we call SMART ASS, which is an Advanced Street Skills conducted at Pacific Raceways.  Great to know you wont have opposing traffic and control riders to help keep things sane, not to mention medical on call, something you wont find standing by on some lonely pass filled with awesome twisties and roaming forrest rats ;D

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »
That was pretty much my point. I could be on the fastest, best tuned race bike and a good rider on a wore out old Honda Shadow 750 would still smoke me on the track! I have "performance anxiety" on corner entry 95% of the time. I am working on it but it is still there.

Matt

Work on it on the track.  I can't focus on the street.  You can learn a LOOOOOOT more on track than on street.  DOO IIIIT !

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
I did a lap of IMS on my connie this Monday morning. The track is wide and super smooth but a couple of pretty tight sections where the 125s would have a huge advantage.
That's my buddy Jimmie on his 09 just ahead of me.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realize weight made up that much difference over HP.

OMG, weight is EXTREMELY important when talking about performance.  It affects everything.  Braking, cornering, acceleration, traction, ride, etc.  Car and bike racers are obsessed about shaving every bit of weight off their vehicles (and moving necessary weight around to different places).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stewart

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »
I did a track day on my 2011 C14, it was extremely enjoyable and I learnt a lot. I wasn't the fastest out there but who cares, I road faster and smoother than I've ever road before.

Great day. I did post a video, not sure if it was before or after the forum crash.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »

; )

Barry

Not the case with MOTOGP riders as mentioned in 1st post. Nor the case with same rider/same track on  2 different model bikes. One of the bikes will yeild faster lap times.

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »
Yeah its all about braking and turning on the track.  And the C14 isn't that quick, my CBR600RR made 20 less horsepower but ate my C14 alive on acceleration because it was light as a feather and my C14 was a dump truck in weight comparison.

I still have not met a 600 I could not out accelerate at some point depending on sprocket setup...sooner or later I pass them by. Or in the case of a stock setup I dont have to pass because they never get ahead of me.

On a track though I think a 600 will be able to put big bikes away on corner entry.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 05:43:17 AM »
Not the case with MOTOGP riders as mentioned in 1st post. Nor the case with same rider/same track on  2 different model bikes. One of the bikes will yeild faster lap times.

I was speaking in terms of the lower end of the spectrum, where a rider on a really good bike can get cooked by a much better rider on a lesser machine.

I agree at the upper end of the bike/rider performance envelope, your statement stands.  So put the original poster on an 800 cc Moto GP bike, and you on a C14.  You would probably beat his lap times...  Relative to being "in the way", again, something is wrong if i'm on my supermoto passing 600s/1000s on corner entry / exit.  That's not bike, that's all rider.

YMMV,
Barry

Offline DaveO

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
I think you would get a rude wake up call if you put c-14 on a road course .
Its just way too heavy and mush suspension to boot .

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »
I think you would get a rude wake up call if you put c-14 on a road course .
Its just way too heavy and mush suspension to boot .
Keep telling yourself that.  Differant bikes and differant techniques.