Author Topic: Post MotoGP, just wondering how would our C14s fare?  (Read 12481 times)

Offline Barry

• Arena
Re: Post MotoGP, just wondering how would our C14s fare?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 05:53:09 AM »
Keep telling yourself that.  Differant bikes and differant techniques.

+1 big time....
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:52 AM »
C14 will have to brake early, the little 600 will fly around you going into everytun turn and laugh. Personally, I'd wait up for you after every turn to repeat this again over and over.

In the turns, the 600's would massacre you.

If on a track like Daytona with a long straight, a tiny section of straight the C14 would pull, but again it would start braking way before the 600 and get stomped.

Anyone who thinks this behomoth bike can perform competively against little track weapons on a track should seriously go experience a track day or two.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 08:13:47 AM »

Anyone who thinks this behomoth bike can perform competively against little track weapons on a track should seriously go experience a track day or two.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.  What I am suggesting is the bike is fully capable of being ridden very hard (maybe brakes would cook) on a road circuit.  A 600 supersport, nor a GoldWing, it aint.

There is a wee bit of gray in between the black and white.  Look into it.

:chugbeer:

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
I will attest to greasy brakes from an indicated 140 or so ;D  Body position, entry speed, and entry point are critical.  Get in too hot and the weight really shows up, hit it just right and the power really pulls you through.  I will be at Pacific Raceways the 16th, first time on the track with my LSL bars.  Weather should be dry and mid 70's.  Morning session I will run with the bags on, Afternoon will be sans bags!

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
The way they were talking on the PA, the Harleys were stock bikes with the exception of tires and exhaust, the latter provided by Vance and Hines, the series title sponsor.
Matt

The XR1200 series rules require a spec kit (non-stock) of bodywork, pipe, ECU ("Racing Fuelpak) and 17" front wheel all sourced from V&H, spec tires, and allows suspension and brake mods on both ends + controls & instruments mods (footpegs, bars, etc).  When you put it all together they're significantly different from stock in terms of things that matter when you're trying to go fast on a road course.

The "they're stock" hype is part of the marketing strategy for the primary XR1200 Series stakeholders (V&H, HD and AMA Pro-road racing/Daytona Motorsports Group).

Not suggesting that the difference between street and track is nearly so great in the XR Series, but remember, NASCAR is called "stock car racing" and the AMA Pro Road racing series is owned by the same parent company as NASCAR  ;)

Having watched Danny Eslick race at many times with the CMRA, I'm 100% confident that his times on the lighter though slightly lower powered 'Series XR' would be better than his times on the C14 on any US roadcourse including long-straight Daytona 8)

Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
So, for those in the PNW area, come join me on the 16th, more info at http://www.advancedstreetskills.com/ , shameless plug for Puget Sound Safety.  99.9% of us get something out of this event everytime we are there.  Dont worry, if your on one of the slower colored non Neutron Silver 14s I will take it easy on ya!  Come see for yourself just how capable our beloved whale really is and decide for yourself just how well your 14 (or any other bike) would fare.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
 I watched the well ridden XRs run this w/e at NJMP  They are no joke.
 A little faster than I thought they'd be.
 They weigh quite a bit less than a c-14.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
I will attest to greasy brakes from an indicated 140 or so ;D  Body position, entry speed, and entry point are critical.  Get in too hot and the weight really shows up, hit it just right and the power really pulls you through.  I will be at Pacific Raceways the 16th, first time on the track with my LSL bars.  Weather should be dry and mid 70's.  Morning session I will run with the bags on, Afternoon will be sans bags!

PICS of BAGS ON THE TRACK, PLEASE
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »
I  love to show up to a ride, two up. Then at the first gas stop, buy a pallet of water, and fill up both bags.
Offer everyone a water and continue the ride.  Waste 'em in the twisties, and listen to the comments that night at the campfire.
Good times indeed. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
  Morning session I will run with the bags on,
ive heard others say they run the track with bags and i just dont get it. Please explain why you would leave on some easy to remove  weight and bulk

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
Let me see a 600cc track toy ride 400 miles to the track then turn around and ride home after the race.  I just got home from TN/NC and I know my bike wasn't the fastest around those roads but it was plenty fast for me.  It also isn't the most comfortable for a long road trip compared to a Gold Wing.  But IMO it is the best tool for riding a long way then ripping up some mountain roads.  I have no illusions about being competitive on a track but that won't keep me from wanting to do a track day if the opportunity arises.  Like I have said before, the C14 is my "just right" bowl of porridge...... so you can call me Goldilocks.   :D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
C14 will have to brake early, the little 600 will fly around you going into everytun turn and laugh. Personally, I'd wait up for you after every turn to repeat this again over and over.

In the turns, the 600's would massacre you.

If on a track like Daytona with a long straight, a tiny section of straight the C14 would pull, but again it would start braking way before the 600 and get stomped.

:goodpost:

If you guys really think your C14 is fast, go do a track day with 600 track bikes, you'll be embarased for sure... Stick to a nice mix of comfort with storage and some extra power without being on a Goldwing brutha's, this is a sporty street bike for us old guys.
 :chugbeer:

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »
ive heard others say they run the track with bags and i just dont get it. Please explain why you would leave on some easy to remove  weight and bulk
It all depends on why you go to the track.  If you are going to develop your skills and explore the bike's limits, why not do it in the configuration that you most often use when riding?

If you are looking for the last 10th of a second of lap time, of course you strip the bike.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »
It is a Advanced Street Skills day, dont mean to make an ASS  ;) of myself, but I have been seen on the street with them on :D  It shows the students what is possible and keeps me sharp as well.  Not to mention Steve keeps asking for pics of a C14 on the track with bags on and since he hasn't the courage to do it himself I will 8) 8)

Offline stewart

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »

No bags I know...they had a load of gear in them and I figured I take them off before the tech inspection (just in case).

Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »
FWIW, I have been wanting to do a track day for a long time. Reading many of the replies here has me thinking of picking up a well used 600 sport bike just for track days so I don't risk tearing up my C14. I really need more of a performance school geared towards beginning riders. Maybe something to plan for in the spring. From what I have found, all the track days near me are done for the year.

I am somewhat disappointed in what some here feel would be the on track capabilities of our C14s. I thought sure that a C14 would blow away the Harleys, maybe even beat the 125s. No matter, it still has plenty to scare the Shiite out of me!

Thanks for the replies, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline DaveO

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
I did a track day on my 2011 C14, it was extremely enjoyable and I learnt a lot. I wasn't the fastest out there but who cares, I road faster and smoother than I've ever road before.

Great day. I did post a video, not sure if it was before or after the forum crash.

Im glad you did it ..I think everyone should because you cant help but learn a whole lot  there.
If possible, next time out , try it with a bike thats 200 lbs lighter and report back .
Think of the fun you had X 5

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:31 AM »
Fer Steve

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »
Fer Steve

Ok, SoP, now you have to tell me how you've got that tinted screen...  :hail:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
I took her off, cleaned it up really good, taped the edges carefully and painted the inside with some black Krylon paint.  It really does change the looks.