Author Topic: Immobilizer issue  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Maverick

• I rode below sea level...and survived
Immobilizer issue
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
After getting gas, the bike would not start and the dash showed a message "immobilizer error" along with a top left red light on, I switched off and on the main red right switch then the bike started again.

I would just like to understand what this message meant, as I would not like to be stranded and not knowing what could be done.
Any ideas?
GTR Club Europe Member # 388
1400 GTR 2008

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Immobilizer issue
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
There is a known issue between KiPass and some Mobil gas pumps (petrol pumps?) if the pump has a remote reading feature called (I think) Speedpass, which is a system where a person can buy fuel with nothing other than a fob from Mobil. It is very much like KiPass and apparently interferes with that system. Moving the bike a few feet away from the pump seems to end the problem.

Do you have a similar service where you are? If so that might be the problem.

Brian

After getting gas, the bike would not start and the dash showed a message "immobilizer error" along with a top left red light on, I switched off and on the main red right switch then the bike started again.

I would just like to understand what this message meant, as I would not like to be stranded and not knowing what could be done.
Any ideas?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
Aliens?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
Yes, I think he is Dutch.

(now go ahead and tell me that wasn't witty....)

Brian

Aliens?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »

Brian

Yes Brian, well done.   

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
Oh well, here we go again adding humor and self perceived wit.   :banghead:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Maverick

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »

Brian

Thanks Brian, indeed I was at an Esso gas station ( Exxon Mobil) in Europe, but I had taken gas many times there without any issue...

BTW, I am a US citizen, living in the Netherlands !!
1400 GTR 2008

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
Thanks Brian, indeed I was at an Esso gas station ( Exxon Mobil) in Europe, but I had taken gas many times there without any issue...

If this country keeps heading toward the sewer, I am debating moving there someday.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
Does Esso have some type of 'automatic' recognition system for its customers? As I said, Mobil calls it Speedpass here and it is apparently on the same frequency as the fobs are on US bikes (I believe you are on a different frequency in Europe).

OFFTOPIC: I have spent a little time in The Netherlands; we have friends in a small town named Arcen, near Venlo. I spent a day driving over that new reclamation project on the coast- amazing feat of civil engineering! Nice country and nice people as long as you do not tell them that Dutch sounds like German to a native English speaker.  :D

Brian

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »

Any ideas?

B.D.F. may be right.  A friend and I just did a 4250 mile trip through North Carolina then up through Canada and around the top of the Great Lakes then back down through Minnesota.  At one gas stop I shut off the bike and filled up then when I pushed the key, nothing.  I can't remember which brand it was but it was one that accepted some sort of fob payment.  After a brief moment of panic, my buddy told me he'd heard of some fob payment pumps interfering with KiPass and to push the bike away from the pump; I did and all was good.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:01:59 AM »
Oh well, here we go again adding humor and self perceived wit.   :banghead:

Whatever shall we do?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
Hey, you want free entertainment and you want it to be good too?

Brian

Whatever shall we do?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Hey, you want free entertainment and you want it to be good too?

Brian

Is that too much to ask?  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
I was expecting a thread about a spouse 8)

Offline Maverick

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »
I still chanced it and went away on a 1500 mile ride, no problem at all.
I changed the FOB battery and W40'd the ignition spring,to minimize Keypass issues.
1400 GTR 2008

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 01:53:10 PM »
I still chanced it and went away on a 1500 mile ride, no problem at all.
I changed the FOB battery and W40'd the ignition spring,to minimize Keypass issues.

You sprayed WD40 into the ignition?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
I thought we were just supposed to remove the key and rinse the assembly out with a garden hose now and then....

Is this not the correct method?

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 02:10:56 PM »
I thought we were just supposed to remove the key and rinse the assembly out with a garden hose now and then....

Is this not the correct method?

Brian

Seems fine to me.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:29 PM »
thats the way  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Maverick

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 09:56:09 AM »

If Brian's technique does not work, yes you can spray some WD40 as shown below, sometimes the spring gets stuck and you cannot start the bike with this damn keypass ! It may not be strong enough after all for this system.

1400 GTR 2008