Author Topic: Immobilizer issue  (Read 12332 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Immobilizer issue
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »
I will not speak for Conrad but I think his concern is that WD 40 starts out very thin but eventually turns into a pretty thick paste. It might not be the best thing to spray into that activation switch.

There is supposedly a stronger spring that Kawasaki is supplying but I have not seen one and there is no official word from Kawasaki. The ignition switch assembly has been superceded on the earlier C-14's (GTR's) but no one knows exactly what the changes were.

A sticking activation switch and interference from a fuel pump are two different problems and not related to each other. If the switch sticks you cannot activate KiPass. Interference will cause the system to fail to find a valid fob but you will be able to power the system up by pressing down on the key. So if you press the key and the system powers up but has radio interference from a fuel pump, you should get some type of warning on the LCD. If the activation switch is stuck down you will not see anything on the LCD at all. Also if moving the bike away from the fuel pump 'cures' the problem, it was radio interference, not a sticking activation switch.

Brian

If Brian's technique does not work, yes you can spray some WD40 as shown below, sometimes the spring gets stuck and you cannot start the bike with this damn keypass ! It may not be strong enough after all for this system.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »

snip...

I will not speak for Conrad but I think his concern is that WD 40 starts out very thin but eventually turns into a pretty thick paste. It might not be the best thing to spray into that activation switch.Brian

Well said Brian, that was my concern. Ask any locksmith and they'll tell you NEVER to spray WD40 into a lock. I made that mistake once in the building that I work in and I thought that the locksmith was going to have a stoke when I told him what I had done. A good quality silicone spray would be way better for this application.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
I just use an electrical contact cleaner type spray every now and again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Maverick

• I rode below sea level...and survived
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
Well said Brian, that was my concern. Ask any locksmith and they'll tell you NEVER to spray WD40 into a lock. I made that mistake once in the building that I work in and I thought that the locksmith was going to have a stoke when I told him what I had done. A good quality silicone spray would be way better for this application.

That is right, and that is why I do not put the WD40 into the lock, just around it. Into a lock it will accumulate and turn into a thick substance coz it has nowhere to go, just make sure that it can drip out and you will be fine.
GTR Club Europe Member # 388
1400 GTR 2008

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
Would that be the one with the same solvent as the can of brake cleaner? :'(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
I don't know.  Could be.  I have a can that I've had for a few years that's still good but I didn't read the fine print.  My last check with brake cleaners was that there were multiple formulations and some work better than others.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
That's probably fine if it is an alcohol based cleaner but if it is that harsh solvent, it <might> attach some plastic parts in the ign. switch assembly, and maybe especially the activation switch. Someone else mentioned brake cleaner as a comparison and that is a great example of something harsh enough to do damage to plastic. I am not criticizing that method because for all I know it could be fine, just sayin'.

In the early days I did spray silicone spray into the switch assembly a couple of times but stopped doing that because I really don't know what the 'right thing' is for the activation switch. Silicone spray can tend to leave a waxy film behind and that could make a mess of internal parts too. In the end I guess I just gave up thinking about it and decided to spend my excess worrying time thinking about that 17 year old kid behind me who is bearing down on me while texting.....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
That's the reason I asked. The harsh chemical is usually perchloroethylene. Used as an industrial degreaser and cleaner. Also used by your friendly neighorhood drycleaner. Used as intended it is a worthy product. It does attack most plastics and is murder on powercoat.
It breaks down under open flame and red hot elements(heaters,cigarette coal, etc) into hydrocloric acid and phosgene gas. Just say'n.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
That's the reason I asked. The harsh chemical is usually perchloroethylene. Used as an industrial degreaser and cleaner. Also used by your friendly neighorhood drycleaner. Used as intended it is a worthy product. It does attack most plastics and is murder on powercoat.
It breaks down under open flame and red hot elements(heaters,cigarette coal, etc) into hydrocloric acid and phosgene gas. Just say'n.

Very very familiar with perc.  Had an incident in a plant environment many years ago.....phosgene was mentioned.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 06:46:35 AM »

Sounds like some nasty stuff!

Hey Brian! Maybe you could use some of this on that 17 year old texter that's been following you around?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »
... yeah, spray it on his windshield, leave a nasty film on it... Behind The Green Windshield.  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »
I would be afraid he / she wouldn't notice..... they don't really pay attention very well. But then again, gagging does tend to grab a person's attention.

Brian

Sounds like some nasty stuff!

Hey Brian! Maybe you could use some of this on that 17 year old texter that's been following you around?