Author Topic: Did I REALLY just see that?  (Read 20563 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Did I REALLY just see that?
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
I agree- odd.  I have never had the F1 error except while cruising at high speed.  Every post I have seen about the mysterious, "instant" F1 errors has been while cruising.  Never when in idle or stopped, etc.  Plus, his didn't sound instant (like 1 sec or less), so there might be something else going on.

I have, twice.

I've documented 12 FI errors on my bike since new, and it's now over 22,000 miles:

298 miles and got a brief FI error.  Outside air temp was about 60F, half tank of fuel, the RPM's had peaked around 5K just before I closed the throttle, sunny and dry.
434 miles, another brief FI error.  Sunny, dry, 65F, transitioning from rural to suburbia, Full tank of fuel, short shifting to 3rd.
1543 miles, another brief FI error.  This time, it happened while coasting to a stop in OD, at about 2200 RPM's.  Weather was clear, 65F, full tank of fuel.
1837 miles, another brief FI error.  This time it happened while steady speed cruising in OD at 70MPH.  Weather was 64F, dry, overcast, about 1/4 tank of fuel.
6680 miles, brief FI error, middle of nowhere (central WY desert), cruising at 80+ in OD, 90+F.
10125 miles, brief FI error, downtown PDX, late evening, 1st gear driving through an intersection, 64F, 2/3 tank of fuel,
14896 miles, brief FI error, inside Sylvan tunnel (PDX, US26), 8:30PM, 61F, coasting downhill in 4th gear @ 50MPH, just about to short shift to 6th, 2 bars on the fuel gauge.
16,284 miles, brief FI error, stop sign at Woodard Rd (Springdale side), 8:00pm, 64F, full tank of fuel, on a down hill doing a quick stop and go at a stop sign, just downshifted to 1st, abrupt off to on throttle change,
19188 miles, brief FI error, NW PDX, sitting stopped at light, EB NW21st & Lovejoy, 70F, full tank, 7:30pm.  Didn't turn on red light, but did screen swap 4 times (2 each screen).
21663 miles, brief FI error, PDX, sitting stopped at light, WB 181st & Sandy, 55F, Full tank, 10:30am.  No read light, just caught a glimps of it.
21825 miles, Another FI error, EB US26 @ Cedar Hills cruising at 70MPH, 6th gear, a couple minutes before low fuel came on, 55F, 12:45am, red light flashed twice.
21943 miles, Another FI error, HCRH South of Stark St. bridge almost to Springdale, 50MPH, low fuel on, 50F, 8:45pm, it turned off Red light (was on after clearing low fuel warning).

They did seem to taper off after tightening up the throttle cable slack a couple different times, though that could have also been a coincident.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
Yeah, that documentation is a little light- we are going to need the direction the bike was pointing toward in each instance, as well as the phase of the moon to make any type of useful guesses.

What do you do, ride with a notepad open and a pencil in one hand?

Brian

I have, twice.

I've documented 12 FI errors on my bike since new, and it's now over 22,000 miles:

<snipped tabulated data>

They did seem to taper off after tightening up the throttle cable slack a couple different times, though that could have also been a coincident.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
Yeah, that documentation is a little light- we are going to need the direction the bike was pointing toward in each instance, as well as the phase of the moon to make any type of useful guesses.

Brian

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 04:17:09 AM »

Brian

Gotta admit, Brian, he's good.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »
Good nothing, that is fantastic! No dealer could resist such documention- they would give in and just give him a new C-14 before he was one- half way through that list.

;D

Brian

Gotta admit, Brian, he's good.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
Wow! I have similar miles but have only seen 3 or 4 F1 errors. But I'm sure there have been others. It is so brief that unless you are looking at the screen at the time you would miss them.

I have, twice.

298 miles and got a brief FI error.  Outside air temp was about 60F, half tank of fuel, the RPM's had peaked around 5K just before I closed the throttle, sunny and dry.
434 miles, another brief FI error.  Sunny, dry, 65F, transitioning from rural to suburbia, Full tank of fuel, short shifting to 3rd.
1543 miles, another brief FI error.  This time, it happened while coasting to a stop in OD, at about 2200 RPM's.  Weather was clear, 65F, full tank of fuel.
1837 miles, another brief FI error.  This time it happened while steady speed cruising in OD at 70MPH.  Weather was 64F, dry, overcast, about 1/4 tank of fuel.
6680 miles, brief FI error, middle of nowhere (central WY desert), cruising at 80+ in OD, 90+F.
10125 miles, brief FI error, downtown PDX, late evening, 1st gear driving through an intersection, 64F, 2/3 tank of fuel,
14896 miles, brief FI error, inside Sylvan tunnel (PDX, US26), 8:30PM, 61F, coasting downhill in 4th gear @ 50MPH, just about to short shift to 6th, 2 bars on the fuel gauge.
16,284 miles, brief FI error, stop sign at Woodard Rd (Springdale side), 8:00pm, 64F, full tank of fuel, on a down hill doing a quick stop and go at a stop sign, just downshifted to 1st, abrupt off to on throttle change,
19188 miles, brief FI error, NW PDX, sitting stopped at light, EB NW21st & Lovejoy, 70F, full tank, 7:30pm.  Didn't turn on red light, but did screen swap 4 times (2 each screen).
21663 miles, brief FI error, PDX, sitting stopped at light, WB 181st & Sandy, 55F, Full tank, 10:30am.  No read light, just caught a glimps of it.
21825 miles, Another FI error, EB US26 @ Cedar Hills cruising at 70MPH, 6th gear, a couple minutes before low fuel came on, 55F, 12:45am, red light flashed twice.
21943 miles, Another FI error, HCRH South of Stark St. bridge almost to Springdale, 50MPH, low fuel on, 50F, 8:45pm, it turned off Red light (was on after clearing low fuel warning).

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
Wow! I have similar miles but have only seen 3 or 4 F1 errors. But I'm sure there have been others. It is so brief that unless you are looking at the screen at the time you would miss them.

Your KiPass is correcting the problem so fast the human eye can't detect the flash of the red light
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
There ya' go- next year's marketing sound bite: "The new KiPass, now faster than light. The only area left that could be improved."

Brian

Your KiPass is correcting the problem so fast the human eye can't detect the flash of the red light

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »

Brian

No notepad, just commit the details to memory until the next stop (usually fuel or arrived at my destination).  Some of us still have our short term memory  ;)

Actually, I consider it ammunition, just in case I ever have to deal with Kawi on some electronic problem with this bike.  Some would say you can always use more ammunition. 
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »

I'm sure there were many more that I didn't see.  I think mine has been on the "worse" side of the scale, for how many I seem to get.

Plus, I'm always checking my gauges and display while I'm riding.  For me, it's part of staying focused I guess.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »

That explains it! Maybe up here at high altitude KiPass works even faster because of less aerodynamic drag ;D

Offline stewart

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »

Brian

I just split my sides.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »
This thread is competing to be more full of  win than the drive shaft thread on the old forum 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »

LOL!!!!  And here I thought I was anal-retentive with keeping much simpler logs.... :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
Hey, no complaints from me- I think you did a great job with the documentation. I am a little surprised there were so many incidents but I would never dispute it either.

And besides, it is not like you went overboard or anything- if you recorded the 'clock' position of the valve stem for each incident I would say that was too much but the fuel level, the vehicle speed, the gear it was in, the acceleration (or deceleration), the throttle position.... those were just right....

;) back at 'ya.

;D

Brian

No notepad, just commit the details to memory until the next stop (usually fuel or arrived at my destination).  Some of us still have our short term memory  ;)

Actually, I consider it ammunition, just in case I ever have to deal with Kawi on some electronic problem with this bike.  Some would say you can always use more ammunition.

Offline silvermane

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2012, 06:48:14 AM »
YeeeHaaa!  I finally got to join the FI Error club!  7k miles and she blipped on me.  Scared the &#!+ out of me, then gently rode home wondering who can tow me home if needed :/  From what I'm reading here, not a problem.  Feels good being one of the guys now :)  BTW, any good tow vehicles in Cincinnati?
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
YeeeHaaa!  I finally got to join the FI Error club!  7k miles and she blipped on me.  Scared the &#!+ out of me, then gently rode home wondering who can tow me home if needed :/  From what I'm reading here, not a problem.  Feels good being one of the guys now :)  BTW, any good tow vehicles in Cincinnati?

Welcome to the club- surprised it took you 7K to get to it :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc