Author Topic: Did I REALLY just see that?  (Read 20566 times)

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
Re: Did I REALLY just see that?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
Had the same thing happen to me around 1500 miles light and f1 error,never saw it again.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
well just got home from a 300 mile ride and it poped on on me.  34 miles into a new tank of fuel, crusing throttle, and 93 degree temp (per bike), right at 3300 miles.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
I got it again on mine today.  Twice.  Full FI followed by the warning light.  I was traveling about 80+ at the time.  Warning light just flashed on-off quickly, display cycled between FI and FI Error both times.  Bike ran fine.  I also got the blinker problem happen again- three times.  I explained it in a previous post, but in case someone didn't catch it- the dash panel blinkers come on exactly like the four way flasher button is pushed.  The first time it happed today, I had just pulled out of a gas station and was accelerating.  The lights flashed just once.  The next two times I was high speeding it (80+) down the NY State Thruway.  There was probably a 50 mile lapse between these events.  They flashed three times.  Again, no stumble or any other symptoms.  Lights start blinking and stop on their own. Weather conditions were perfect. No rain like last time.  I put another 200 miles on after that and it didn't happen again.  First thing I did when I got home was pull the battery to make sure all connections were tight.  They were.   
2010 C14 ABS

Offline mkorn

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 05:58:47 AM »
I have never noticed it on mine ... but i cant see my display unless i look down at it.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
I have never noticed it on mine ... but i cant see my display unless i look down at it.

I can't see most of my dash either while looking at the road, but there is no way I can mess the ultra-bright, red, error light from hell!  Especially at night.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
I can't see most of my dash either while looking at the road, but there is no way I can mess the ultra-bright, red, error light from hell!  Especially at night.

It has been more than 5 months, many trips, and 1,600 miles since my last "F1", and tonight I had two more.  About 80 miles into a 100 mile trip, just cruising at 75MPH in 6th, nothing special, BAM- F1.  Then it did it again about 10 miles later.  No reason that I could tell.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
Every few thousand miles when my bike FI errors, KiPass immediately comes into play and kicks my bike's silly *ss back into functionality
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 04:21:35 AM »
I really hope that everyone is informing their dealers of this situation.  The more hits the dealers get the more that Kawasaki will deem it necessary to look into it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 06:10:21 AM »
I really hope that everyone is informing their dealers of this situation.  The more hits the dealers get the more that Kawasaki will deem it necessary to look into it.

I did report it back at the first service.  They said no updates were available and to keep monitoring it, since it wasn't causing any problems.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
Just happened to me again this weekend. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th time in the year and half and 21000 miles on the bike. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Offline tin-tin

• VFR1200F C14
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
When I went to the dealer he explained to me that the FI indicator was like some kind of catch all indicator and could mean alot of things. When it happened to mine it was something really really bad and was staying on but most of the time it is just something where the engine is running outside of normal parameters for just a second. He said if there was no code then it was no problem. From what he explained, if there was a code then it had to be fixed and of course the FI would stay on. If it only was something that happened for a second then it was no biggie and dont worry about it. It sucks that it does not hold a code since it would be nice to check out what it was doing at the time. Especially if it is something that is easily avoidable if you knew what the problem was.

Dont know if he was blowing smoke up my A$$ but he is an old school kawi mechanic and I believe him.

I guess the best thing is to see if you can duplicate the problem and see if there is a common factor but I know that is almost impossible sometimes. :-\

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
Every time it has done it on my bike it was for a second or two. I'm guessing some sensor out of range. But your right, it would be nice to know what parameter was temp out of range. And if it is the same one every time then you know there is a glitch with that sensor or circuit. Why not an OBDII port?

Offline stewart

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 05:33:52 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned already, but there was some discussion in previous threads that when this happened mostly after or around the first service the bike was changing to some different ECU setting/map. Its only happened to my bike once and it was around that time.

I suspect that is more rumor than fact.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 06:42:55 AM »
Again its not worth sweating over, typical Kawi behavior.  Plus its happened to me more times than i can count and here is the result:

Every few thousand miles when my bike FI errors, KiPass immediately comes into play and kicks my bike's silly *ss back into functionality
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pred8tor

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
It happened to mine (2011) on the way home from work tonight.  About 580 miles at 75 mph. Red light flash, then F1. I was using the ECO mode - I thought it may have been that leaner setting. Turned the ECO off and back on later, no repeat. 

Based on what I'm reading, I'm going to trust KiPass to keep me safe!
2011 Kawasaki C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
It happened to mine (2011) on the way home from work tonight.  About 580 miles at 75 mph. Red light flash, then F1. I was using the ECO mode - I thought it may have been that leaner setting. Turned the ECO off and back on later, no repeat. 

Yep, it seems to be pretty mysterious, random, and ubiquitous.  I suppose you just do what most of us do, note it, and ignore it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
Yep, it seems to be pretty mysterious, random, and ubiquitous.  I suppose you just do what most of us do, note it, and ignore it.

Or buy a HONDA, but i'll let KiPass continue to kick my FI error back into shape  8)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 05:33:07 AM »
I've gotten he error 3 times now.  twice wile riding..quick blip and then back to normal.  Yesterday it happened at a light when I could not get the bike into neutral. I was in second, clicked it down to go into neutral, and got a blank gear indicator (which I get quite often-this normal?) clicked it again to get it into 1st and to get the indicator back, and the FI error came on and stayed on for at least 3-4 seconds until I hit the shifter again. Finding neutral is rather annoying on this bike.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
Interesting that it's (F1 error) happening when you were shifting.  I wonder if it's something to do with the gear position sensor?  What you are experiencing with finding neutral while at a stop is normal.  If I forget to down shift, I have to rev it and play with the shift lever a bit to get it into either neutral or first.  I don't remember if my screen goes blank whilst fiddling with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
Interesting that it's (F1 error) happening when you were shifting.  I wonder if it's something to do with the gear position sensor?  What you are experiencing with finding neutral while at a stop is normal.  If I forget to down shift, I have to rev it and play with the shift lever a bit to get it into either neutral or first.  I don't remember if my screen goes blank whilst fiddling with it.

I agree- odd.  I have never had the F1 error except while cruising at high speed.  Every post I have seen about the mysterious, "instant" F1 errors has been while cruising.  Never when in idle or stopped, etc.  Plus, his didn't sound instant (like 1 sec or less), so there might be something else going on.

... Finding neutral is rather annoying on this bike.

That is a different topic but.... Kawasaki uses a special "neutral finder" thing that takes some getting used it.  It should be "easy" to find neutral going up from 1st gear at light/no load, but harder to find it when going down from 2nd (or up from 1st at load).  That is by design, so that when going up/down the gears you are not accidentally interrupted by neutral.  If you have problems finding it up from 1st at low/no load, you might have a problem with the bike...