Poll

Plans for and results for the "Bearing Up Shifter" C14

My C14 has no need for improved shifting linkage .. bike shifts fine as Kawasaki OEM intended it .. (Will not buy the Bearing Kit)
15 (22.4%)
My C14 may benefit from improved shifting linkage and I will / may buy the Bearing Kit / Or my Own Design
14 (20.9%)
I have already installed the Bearing Up Kit / or My Own Design and found slight to no shifting improvement
13 (19.4%)
I have already installed the Bearing Up Kit / or My Own Design and found significant shifting improvement
17 (25.4%)
After lubing the OEM shifter bushing / linkage points shifting is improved (no need for bearing kit)
1 (1.5%)
I lubed the linkage points regardless of the need or lack of need for the bearing up shifter kit
2 (3%)
I did the bearing upgrade myself / did not use Murph's kit
5 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: August 29, 2011, 07:08:45 AM

Author Topic: Bearing Up Shifter (Poll)  (Read 8373 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Bearing Up Shifter (Poll)
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
Yesterday I did a quick and dirty install of the bearing up shifter set I received from Murphs for my 2008 C14.

A few comments.

The total shifter play was reduced by about half after the install of the new bearing.

The shifter play is still significant due to the play in the linkage and the shifter shaft that comes out of the engine case.

So I did more work ..

Removal / lube / reinstall

I then removed the linkage and shifter arm and carefully pulled back the black rubber boot then cleaned the shifter linkage surfaced under the 2 rubber boots. Then I hand lubed the linkage contact surfaces with MOBIL 1 grease and re assembled the shifter / linkage and torqued the hex screw to 10 ft lbs.

Did a short ride and did notice the improved ease in shifting from 2 to N and from 1 to N (easier to find N).    .. Will do a longer ride later .. and report..

REQUEST FOR COMMENTS

Attached is a photo of before the bearing install that points to the linkage areas I lubed for reference.

Q1: For those that have installed the shifter bearing, is a 50% improvement in overall shifter play typical? (.. is my play excessive..)

Q2: For those that have lubed the shifter (under boot) linkage contact points, how often do you apply the lube and what lube did you use? (.. yearly, honda moly 60)

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:10:08 AM by CrashKLRtoConnie »
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Bearing Up Shifter (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »
Given the number of people that have looked at the C14 Shifter bearing upgrade (and as  Murph put a kit together for us) ...

I wanted to capture the groups comments on the subject.
Multi Voting Allowed.
Thanks in advance

Brent

I wish I had measured the total shifter linkage play, before and after my Shifter Bearing Up install to verify my thoughts on a 50% improvement in total shifter play with the kit. (Please post if you did)

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Bearing Up Shifter (Poll)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
Now once again I'm new to the C14 and I find the shifting is good. In the future, depending partly on the outcome of this poll I might do the shifter upgrade.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
Waaah, where's the "I did my own"?  I ain't payin' for somethin' I can easily do myself!  I do like it better but I can't vote without lyin'.   :'(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:30:25 AM by RedBombardier »
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:04:17 AM »
Waaah, wheres the "I did my own"?  I ain't payin' for somethin' I can easily do myself!  I do like it better but I can't vote without lyin'.   :'(

Updated .. thanks for the correction

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
Mine works fine as is.  I don't see the need to upgrade at this point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RoadKingX

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
This was one of those farkles that surprised me.
While the OEM shifter is fine, I can remember thinking first time out "did I just shift into second?"
In my opinion this modification made a great shifting bike even better.

Offline KevinW

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
I bought it, but haven't had time to put it on yet. Looking at the pic's I couldn't help but think the ball bearings have to be smoother than the sleeve.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Re: Bearing Up Shifter / Shifter Linkage Grease / Bearing Replace / Play
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
After a short 40 mile ride today. It is clear to me that the combination of the bearing up kit install with the cleaning / greasing of the linkage has provided significant shifter feel improvement.

I bought my 2008 used and it was stored outside under a car port with a cover near the ocean and most lower exposed surfaces have some scaling / corrosion. (run on sentence lol). Including the aluminum linkage rod......

So for my bike and my riding the bearing up shifter kit + lube is a worthwhile improvement.

Your results may differ

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
Updated .. thanks for the correction

OK thanks.  I feel better now.  :)
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline Murph

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »
My C14 has no need for improved shifting

Everything has need for improvement.   8)

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
Better after upgrade.  Seemed all play gone. Precise shifts.

Bike had 30K miles on when the upgrade was performed.

No brainer mod.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
I can't tell the difference. But I really couldn't see how it could shift any better BEFORE I did the bearings. But I like bearings and these were especially cute. And for an awesome price.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Lonerider

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
This was one of those farkles that surprised me.
While the OEM shifter is fine, I can remember thinking first time out "did I just shift into second?"
In my opinion this modification made a great shifting bike even better.

+1
2009 ZG1400 Concours, 2003 SV1000, 1985 XV1000 Virago

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »

Did a short ride and did notice the improved ease in shifting from 2 to N and from 1 to N (easier to find N).    .. Will do a longer ride later .. and report..

My 2011 has a "positive neutral finder" (see page 146 of the Owner's Manual). I don't know if it's on previous versions, but this is the first bike I've ever owned that does it and it's GREAT. I've you're in first and come to a stop, just pull up completely on the shifter and it only goes into Neutral, NOT Second. You have to pull up twice to get to Second. No more trying to lift "half way" to find Neutral.

I had 1,500 miles on the bike before I discovered this feature.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 10:12:59 PM »
My 2011 has a "positive neutral finder" (see page 146 of the Owner's Manual). I don't know if it's on previous versions, but this is the first bike I've ever owned that does it and it's GREAT. I've you're in first and come to a stop, just pull up completely on the shifter and it only goes into Neutral, NOT Second. You have to pull up twice to get to Second. No more trying to lift "half way" to find Neutral.

I had 1,500 miles on the bike before I discovered this feature.
The positive neutral finder has been on most or all Kawasakis for many years.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:39 AM »
   Everything has need for improvement.   8)

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

... After many years with the better half, I have found at least one person that never needs to hear of any suggested improvement, but I love her anyway ... My Connie however likes to hear of improvements and wants them done as soon as cash falls into my pocket ... I just have be be careful not to tell my better half about Connie ...

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
The positive neutral finder has been on most or all Kawasakis for many years.

I didn't realize that since my last Kawi was a '76 model. I was basically commenting about the other poster's statement about it being easier to find neutral from first after making the mod.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »
I didn't realize that since my last Kawi was a '76 model. I was basically commenting about the other poster's statement about it being easier to find neutral from first after making the mod.
My first Kawi was an 84 Ninja but I don't remember if it had it. My wife's 2001 Ninja had it and that's when I first heard about it.

Offline Wile

• Kawasaki is Japanese for "Money Pit"
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Bought the kit but have not put it on yet.  Was going to do it while I put on the lower pegs like your pic shows.   Good point about the other lube points.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.
Past Bikes...  A bunch.  Current Bikes 1975 Z1 (the rat bike) and a 2010 C14