Author Topic: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT  (Read 53849 times)

Offline CrashGordon

Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
I don't know anything about the BMW's, but from all the descriptions the GT and GTL sound like basically the same bike. I would define that as: if you can strip away aesthetics and amenities from each bike and eventually end up with two identical bikes, then they are the same bike in different clothes.

I'm sure the BMW's are great bikes, but I'm not sure about the comparison. As others have been hinting at, I don't consider the GT to be in the same class as the C14. The capabilities may be similar, but the price difference alone is enough to warrant different classifications. Basically what they said was, for a lot more money you get a bike that's more comfortable and has more torque (thanks to an extra 200cc's). I didn't need a magazine article to tell me that.

I was a little surprised to see that the Kawi has higher load capacity than the BMW by almost 50 lbs (about the difference in weight between the bikes). Unless that's a typo in the magazine, that's a bit disappointing for the Beemer and a pretty obvious downside to that extra curb weight.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2011, 10:26:25 PM »
I don't know anything about the BMW's, but from all the descriptions the GT and GTL sound like basically the same bike. I would define that as: if you can strip away aesthetics and amenities from each bike and eventually end up with two identical bikes, then they are the same bike in different clothes.

Quote from: rcannon409
Different bike means "different" to me.  Something like a zx10r and a Ninja 1000. When a machine uses the same engine, frame, wheels, suspension components, brakes and such its the same .  Accessories and color can change, but its still the same basic bike.

Quote from: martin_14
GT and GTL are the same bike. Changes are [...] That is less than what I already changed in my Kawa, and it is still the same bike than yours.

Exactly.  Which is what I have said twice already.  They are the same bike with different trim levels.  The end. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cltsig

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
I hear if the K1600GT/L tips over and the engine gets damaged, there is no replacing parts.  The whole engine needs to be replaced = nearly totaled. 

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2011, 07:48:26 AM »
I'm sure that's just a temporary thing while they build up their parts.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline DaveO

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
  If your into gadgets than the BMW is for you. I guess you know there is no drain plug for the oil on the  1600 GT or GTL. BMW wants you to take it in for an oil change, they use a pump to get the oil out, my friends 1300GT is the same way.

Not into silly  gadgets at all and the drainplug thing is a REAL dealkiller for me. I knew there was a reason i stayed away from that brand.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
I hear if the K1600GT/L tips over and the engine gets damaged, there is no replacing parts.  The whole engine needs to be replaced = nearly totaled.

Oh, that can't possibly be a "normal" thing.  Maybe it is just too new at the moment?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
No, I don't consider the comments a personaol attack on me, I phis...
yada yada yada...

:banghead:
my fault. I'll go talk to my hamsters.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »

There has also been a rumor going around that there is no drain plug for the oil and only a BMW tech can change the oil (false).

Based upon something I read, and some common sense, I think that this statement was taken out of context.  I know that there have been a couple of reported engine problems.  It's not unusual for a manufacturer to want to replace an entire engine if there are internal problems so they can study what happened to the engine. 

I also know there are a couple of guys on the BMW forum who have already wrecked their 1600, and I'm sure it's possible that they have done enough engine damage that it's not economical to fix them - and it's entirely possible that spare parts are hard to come by right now.  I have not followed those threads lately.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
The BMW may be the best, most comfortable bike ever made, but if it doesn't have KiPass then I'm not interested. 8)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
I don't know about the new BMW's, but my buddy's K1200S doesn't have a drain plug on the final gear. He has to go through all kinds of contortions to drain it.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
LoL @ this Kawi thread, it delivers

And you have me convinced, GT and GTL, only difference is the letter.  Not price, suspension/handling characteristics, weight, options, accessories, nor anything else that dtsinguishes one model from another 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
And you have me convinced, GT and GTL, only difference is the letter.  Not price, suspension/handling characteristics, weight, options, accessories, nor anything else that dtsinguishes one model from another 

Nobody said there was no difference, just that it isn't "a totally different bike",  it is the same bike with some different accessories- some added, some swapped.

We Concours owners typically have so many accessories and things changed, that most of us have more differences in our otherwise IDENTICAL MODEL bikes from OEM than there are between the stock K1600GT and GTL (or at least the same)!

In partial defense of BWM, when you add up how much many of us spend on all these low-volume, high priced Concours mods, the "cheap" price of the Concours isn't quite as cheap anymore.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2011, 06:52:45 AM »
In partial defense of BWM, when you add up how much many of us spend on all these low-volume, high priced Concours mods, the "cheap" price of the Concours isn't quite as cheap anymore.

Maybe for some people, but I have around $8,000 invested in my C14 and that includes all the farkles and four sets of tires.  For that kind of money there isn't anything comparable that has the BMW Roundel on it.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Sofa King

« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
I've also heard that people who buy the 1600 hate baby kittens.  Need I say more?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
Bastards!!!    :rotflmao:

I've also heard that people who buy the 1600 hate baby kittens.  Need I say more?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
Good gawwd that creature is ugly.  Did someone hit in the face with a frying pan.........................if not, then they need to.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »
Good gawwd that creature is ugly.  Did someone hit in the face with a frying pan.........................if not, then they need to.   ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Flathead

« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
Almost as ugly as this!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »
Almost as ugly as this!

Cats are such wonderful and beautiful creatures!  But I really don't know what people see in Sphynx's and Persians (the two pics referenced).  So, to continue the total destruction of this thread, here is my latest meow, who I am sure, you all will agree, is far nicer looking!

(1 year old, male, pure bred, Maine Coon, classic brown tabby with low white)

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
 :o now were comparing.... er...  puddy-Tats  :-X
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk