Author Topic: final drive leak?** UPDATE with question! ***  (Read 24883 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: final drive leak? Or mystery???
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
It sounds like you having a little excess spline lube (grease) being spun out of the rear hub. This is perfectly normal after the rear wheel has been removed if the splines were greased (and they always should be when the wheel is removed). It can take a couple thousand miles for the grease to work its way out and show up on the wheel.

If it really is drive lube leaking past a seal, it will usually make a big mess- mine was relatively minor. Also, the lube from the drive will have a strong, unpleasant odor while spline lube is pretty much odorless.

So wherever you rear end leaks just stick you finger in the leaked material and smell it- if it smells bad, you very well might have a problem needing professional assistance. If there is no odor, wipe your finger off and keep riding.

Brian

WOW...mine is no where close to what your photo shows.  Only a tiny few streaks from the hub area and tiny ones on the rim.   I dont think I over filled it but was wondering if you did would it push out the seals when heated up from driving it.

If so would the seals have to be changed out after that happened?

Dade22
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
The rear drive has a breather which means the contents should never be under pressure. I see no way that overfilling can damage the seals. I happen to like the scent of gear lube but I agree with Brian, if the leaked stuff does not have the distinctive odor of gear lube then it must be spline grease.

Just a note: synthetic gear lube does not have the same distinctive odor. When you changed did you change to synthetic?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Didnt have the splines lubed.  I know it is gear lube.  When I first picked up the bike I noticed it a little...then it went away. 

I have changed the rear drive lube 2 times.  This is the first time I have seen the lube all over the rim/hub. 

If the lube came out of the vent would it travel down into the groove between the hub and rim?  Then cause it to streak out while riding?

"To punish and enslave..."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »

Just a note: synthetic gear lube does not have the same distinctive odor. When you changed did you change to synthetic?

I beg to differ on the smell issue.  I use Castrol full syn and it smells just as bad as regular. Maybe different brands have different smells?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
Well there should not be any gear lube on the rear wheel unless you spilled some when filling the drive.  ;)  If the lube came out of the vent you should be able to see it on the vent body. If there is gear lube coming out of the hub where it meets the wheel it sounds like a seal may have failed.

Just curious but have you recently removed the rear wheel? It seems like there might be some link between rear wheel R&R and the final drive leaking. It is probably just a coincidence though because it does not look like there is any way to stress or otherwise hurt any seals by removing the rear wheel.

Brian

Didnt have the splines lubed.  I know it is gear lube.  When I first picked up the bike I noticed it a little...then it went away. 

I have changed the rear drive lube 2 times.  This is the first time I have seen the lube all over the rim/hub. 

If the lube came out of the vent would it travel down into the groove between the hub and rim?  Then cause it to streak out while riding?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
The odor is caused by the extreme pressure lube 'package' (the chemicals that make up the extreme pressure aspect of the lubricant). Those additives are found in any rear end grease (hypoid lube, rear end lube, whatever you want to call it) whether it is synthetic or mineral based. And a tiny bit goes a long way; I think two drops on a pair of pants can stink up an entire house. But stink is a relative term and I only use it because I do not like that smell; I guess if someone found it attractive, two drops and that person(s) would be in love....  :D

Brian

I beg to differ on the smell issue.  I use Castrol full syn and it smells just as bad as regular. Maybe different brands have different smells?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
I sniffed my bottles of Mobil One and Redline and hardly any smell. Never tried the Castrol.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
Speaking of gear lube I read something interesting the other day. Although the viscosity numbers are roughly twice as high the viscosity is actually about the same as motor oil. Sound odd to me but I saw it on the WWW so it must be true 8)

Offline Dade22

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »
Well there should not be any gear lube on the rear wheel unless you spilled some when filling the drive.  ;)  If the lube came out of the vent you should be able to see it on the vent body. If there is gear lube coming out of the hub where it meets the wheel it sounds like a seal may have failed.

Just curious but have you recently removed the rear wheel? It seems like there might be some link between rear wheel R&R and the final drive leaking. It is probably just a coincidence though because it does not look like there is any way to stress or otherwise hurt any seals by removing the rear wheel.

Brian

Nope no work on the wheel at all.  Just went for a 200+ mile ride the other day and the next morning I find oil on my rim.

I will take it to the local shop and see what they can tell me.

Thanks

Dade22

Offline Dade22

Re: final drive leak? Or mystery??? No longer a mystery!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
Went to ride the bike today and noticed a drop of oil under the final drive.  I wiped the underside of it and went for a ride.  I decided to stop at the local Kawi shop and see what they thought.

As arrived I, I checked to see if there was any gear lube on the rim and hub.....YEP...there was lube.

I talked to the service tech and he set me up for Tuesday to look at it closer.  He said it may take a bit longer if the warranty is through Kawasaki. Not sure what that means.

For those that have had the seals replaced on the final drive...has this been a long term fix or has anyone had a 2nd leak?

Im wondering if they had a bad batch of seals and this is why it leaks sometimes.

Dade22

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
I've filled mine on the centerstand every time its been due during the life of the bike, and its got >41,000 miles on it.

No issues to report
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »

I talked to the service tech and he set me up for Tuesday to look at it closer.  He said it may take a bit longer if the warranty is through Kawasaki. Not sure what that means.

Dade22

It's a branded Kawi dealer, right?  That doesn't make any sense at all to me. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
It's a branded Kawi dealer, right?  That doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Yep its a branded kawi dealer.  Im wondering if he was meaning that he would have to get authorization for warranty work through kawi.

Dunno.  Im just hoping this isnt going to be constant thing.

Dade22

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
Yep its a branded kawi dealer.  Im wondering if he was meaning that he would have to get authorization for warranty work through kawi.

Dunno.  Im just hoping this isnt going to be constant thing.

Dade22

+1  lubrication on wheels is just not a good thing!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
+1  lubrication on wheels is just not a good thing!
Lube on wheels is good. Lube on tires is bad. :o

8)
The grass isn't always greener.

valkmc

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »

My leak did the same, it started leaking on the Alaskan Highway and stopped after I had it looked at in Fort Nelson Canada. The leak was very small at first. Thought I had it made until about 1k later while riding around  Alaska. I bought some gear lube and checked it every morning and it got steadly worse. I limped into Vegas with the oil sprying all over the wheel and up on the bottom side of the fender. I was very nervous because it was running down the side of the tire, so I got a room and had it fixed.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:48 PM »
Valkmc, how long did it take to get it fixed?

Dade22

Offline Dade22

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 06:08:48 AM »
Well, found a good shop and they looked at the rear hub.  The head service tech ordered up 2 of each seal and the barring.

Not sure when the parts will be in, but Im guessing a few days.  The head service tech also said he would only need the bike for 2 days maybe 3.

I just wondering if I should replace the rear tire while Im at it.  I have about 6500 on the OEM tires...still have a ways to go till the ware bars on the back. 

It seems that everyone likes the PR2s or PR3s.  Anyone tried the conti road attack 2s?  Just wondering.  I loved the plain road attacks on my bandit.

Dade22

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »
There have been a couple of guys here that have run the Conti's.  The reports that I have seen say that they handle good for the 3000 or so miles that they are on the bike.  They must be very soft compared to the rubber that most everyone else runs.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

valkmc

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Valkmc, how long did it take to get it fixed?

Dade22

That is a story in itself, I was stranded in Vegas and the dealership and service manager knew that. I dropped it off on a Wednesday after speaking to them twice the day before. They ordered the seals without tearing it down and when the seals arrived four days later they realized the bearing needed to be replaced so they ordered that, four more days passed when I went to get it they informed me they did not have the Kawasaki tool required to change the bearing. I of course lost it and called Kawi customer service who overnighted them the proper tool. I got the bike back on Friday 10 days after I left it with them. Funny thing is I checked reviews on line and with someone I know who rides and lived in Vegas for years and all said this was the dealership to use. Well they were wrong and it sucked. Carter Motorsports was the name of the dealershiip.