Author Topic: to flie or not to flie, that is the question...  (Read 24189 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: to flie or not to flie, that is the question...
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
BDF, your quote (emphasis mine)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the "factory supplied governor"? I wasn't aware the Connie had something like that on it.

Thanks.
More like a restrictor, kinda like the Boston Strangler.  Chokes off how much air flows through the throttle bodies at lower rpms.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
The more air you can pump the more power you can make.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
The secondary throttle plates, or secondary butterflies, or 'flies'. They govern the max. throttle opening on a C-14 and are controlled by the ECU. You may choose to open the throttle to whatever setting you want but the 'other' set of throttle plates (the 'flies') will actually control engine torque and therefore power. The 'flies seem to open fully at very large throttle (your throttle) openings at some engine speed around 7K RPM. At low to mid- range engine speeds, the ECU actually controls the throttle. Removing them restores the bike and allows it to act like a 1400 cc motorcycle.

For more info. on this, do a search for "flies", secondaries and similar. There is a lot of information out there about what they are, what they do and how to remove them should you choose to do so.

Brian

BDF, your quote (emphasis mine)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the "factory supplied governor"? I wasn't aware the Connie had something like that on it.

Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2011, 01:48:53 AM »
The secondary throttle plates, or secondary butterflies, or 'flies'. They govern the max. throttle opening on a C-14 and are controlled by the ECU. You may choose to open the throttle to whatever setting you want but the 'other' set of throttle plates (the 'flies') will actually control engine torque and therefore power. The 'flies seem to open fully at very large throttle (your throttle) openings at some engine speed around 7K RPM. At low to mid- range engine speeds, the ECU actually controls the throttle. Removing them restores the bike and allows it to act like a 1400 cc motorcycle.

For more info. on this, do a search for "flies", secondaries and similar. There is a lot of information out there about what they are, what they do and how to remove them should you choose to do so.

Brian

Ok thanks for that. My bike had a "fliedectomy" a year ago and I have swapped the C-14 TB for a Z-14 TB a few months back. Also I have full dual Muzzys exhaust and the PCV with Autotune.

Given the amount of theological debate on flies and the role of the PCV on the ECU reflash threads, I'm hoping to log my AFR, have ECU reflashed, and reinstall flies - eventually. However at the moment my wallet is committed to other things lol, and the current mods give me good fuel economy while feeling like the bike's engine has been unleashed a bit.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
I am just learning about this bike a bit. Only 600 miles on mine so far.
What kind of $$$ are we talking for a slip-on, PCV and pulling the flies, I would be doing the install myself so no labor cost involved? I looked at fuelMoto site but only found listings and no pricing there.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
I am just learning about this bike a bit. Only 600 miles on mine so far.
What kind of $$$ are we talking for a slip-on, PCV and pulling the flies, I would be doing the install myself so no labor cost involved? I looked at fuelMoto site but only found listings and no pricing there.

Matt

Slip on- $300-$500
PCV- $279 from fuel moto with a map for your setup
Pulling the flies- FREE!

IMO you could get alot more bang for your buck if you spend a little more ($800) and get the whole AreaP exhaust.  That is gonna be my next move.  More power and an awesome sound, but my chopped stocker is working just fine for me until I can convince my wife that the AreaP is a necessity.  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline redbraid

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
I would have to say pulling the flies was the best modification for performance I've done. No cost and much better bottom end and mid range. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »
For that kind of cash, mine will stay stock for a while yet. I would really like the bike to sound like it has a little HP but 300-500 bucks for a little noise is too much for this poor old man. I would love to get some more of that low end grunt but don't want to risk hurting anything just pulling the flies without any supporting mods.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline stewart

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
For the cost of the slip-on you can have you bike ECU flashed which is equal to and better than pulling the flies and adding a PC. Search the forum for details.

I just finished a 250 mile ride this morning with the Guhl Motors Flash....and I'm loving it.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline mkorn

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »
For the cost of the slip-on you can have you bike ECU flashed which is equal to and better than pulling the flies and adding a PC. Search the forum for details.

I just finished a 250 mile ride this morning with the Guhl Motors Flash....and I'm loving it.

+1 on this recommendation ... this is the route i plan on going once i get around to it.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
have you bike ECU flashed which is equal to and better than pulling the flies and adding a PC.

debateable.

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
Slip on- $300-$500
PCV- $279 from fuel moto with a map for your setup
Pulling the flies- FREE!

IMO you could get alot more bang for your buck if you spend a little more ($800) and get the whole AreaP exhaust.  That is gonna be my next move.  More power and an awesome sound, but my chopped stocker is working just fine for me until I can convince my wife that the AreaP is a necessity.  ;D

Whoa Money-bags! $800 is a little more! The difference between the full exhaust and the slip-on from Area P is not worth $800 "IN MY OPINION". Someone should start a thread to post HP and torque numbers for the full and slip-on. When I spoke with Jamie, at fuelmoto, about my setup, he said your looking at maybe 4 to 5 more HP with the full system at best. That is not a quote, but what I seem to remember him saying. I am very satisfied with my slip-on...for the money. If I had wanted to BURN another 800, I would have bought the full too. Once again, the Area P slip on is awesome on my bike.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
Whoa Money-bags! $800 is a little more! The difference between the full exhaust and the slip-on from Area P is not worth $800 "IN MY OPINION". Someone should start a thread to post HP and torque numbers for the full and slip-on. When I spoke with Jamie, at fuelmoto, about my setup, he said your looking at maybe 4 to 5 more HP with the full system at best. That is not a quote, but what I seem to remember him saying. I am very satisfied with my slip-on...for the money. If I had wanted to BURN another 800, I would have bought the full too. Once again, the Area P slip on is awesome on my bike.
Well, it is more the 4-5 HP, check out his graph, and yes, I know, he's selling a product and he would post the best numbers, but, my own non dynoed seat of the pants is considerably more then the 4-5HP.  IMO the full was worth every penny in several differant ways, less heat from the catless headers, better MPG, more power, looks better, and sounds great, purs like a kitten till ya twist the noise maker.  Also if requested comes ready to plumb the Auto tune.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
I gained 14 hp going from a slip-on with the stock header to a full system...  :)

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
I gained 14 hp going from a slip-on with the stock header to a full system...  :)

Wow!  What shop does your service for you ZG?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Wow!  What shop does your service for you ZG?

Hillsboro Motosport does my service work, EDR Performance does my dyno tuning.

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »

Hillsboro Motosport does my service work, EDR Performance does my dyno tuning.

Are you in Oregon? I always thought you lived somewhere in WA...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
Rob, you live in Silverdale, right?  I'm in Port Orchard, we'll have to get together and you can try out my '08 with full system, sans flies, PCV and Auto Tune.  Just have yer account in order, methinks you'll be convinced to do the full monty.  I still have a slight lean condition/mild stumble at about 2850, disappears at 3k, kinda annoying and I'm sneaking up on the AFR to fix it, but it's bow season ;)

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
If your not to tired after work some night maybe we can shoot up to North Kitsap or Mason or whatever, my wife may let me get away sometime. :) I would love to get together with some other C14/C10 guys for a ride one of these weekends.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Are you in Oregon? I always thought you lived somewhere in WA...

Yes, I'm in Oregon.