Author Topic: to flie or not to flie, that is the question...  (Read 24195 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
to flie or not to flie, that is the question...
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:08:23 PM »
So I know many of you have pulled your flies, I still have not but am currently only running a slip-on.

I'd like to hear some concrete facts on pro's and con's of doing this...  ??? :o :-\

Does it make more hp? More torque? Less? Smoother? Harsher? (sp?) Only do with full system? Do not do with stock config? MPG? Remap required? etc, etc, etc...

I'd like to hear both sides of the fence on this...

I'm currently considering going to a full system with PCV and filter, I spoke with my shop today and they recommended not pulling the flies, they said doing it wouldn't produce anymore power, but would make it run more "rough/harsh"...

I'm confused.  :-\

Thanks in advance! Oh, and yes I already looked through all the threads with the search feature, seems to only be pro's from people that do it (kinda broad statements like "yes, do it", etc), not much from folks saying don't because...  :(

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
Re: to flie or not to flie, that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »
ZG, full system,PCV and filter here. Pulled flies and made me go red highlites........I like it verry much and would do it again and again. It feels better, it runs cooler and just seems happier now. I am now installing a quickshiffter. If you did not like it you could go back, flies that is. Your ride looks good and it should feel good........blanton
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
ZG, full system,PCV and filter here. Pulled flies and made me go red highlites........I like it verry much and would do it again and again. It feels better, it runs cooler and just seems happier now. I am now installing a quickshiffter. If you did not like it you could go back, flies that is. Your ride looks good and it should feel good........blanton

Thanks BT.
Did you run the full system/PCV/filter before and after pulling the flies? Or all at once? I would think that pulling the flies makes a difference on the map you go with for the PCV right? Or can the same map be used for flies in/out??  :-\

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
All at once ZG. I was worried about jerky throttle ,it has some, droning at speed, it has that too. But it also has the "OH Yes" now that means more to me. That is my take on the mod.....blanton

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »
If your going to carry the heavy load you might as well carry it well.........I was trying to put the cool smilly face here but am too stupid......

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
Well, you didnt mention instant gratification!  After the seat and shield it was one of the first mods I made.  Low end is where i usually live and I was just never happy with the low end torque.  PCIII and flyectomy cured that issue, no change in smoothness or abruptness, nothing negative to report, and as a daily commuter I picked up a coupla MPG.  It all went downhill when someone posted about the AreaP full.  Placed my order early, mailed the money, and waited, got one of the first sets, and probably have the most miles on the system, about 40000 miles worth, I also ended up with a PCV and Auto tune.  Flies out?  When I wear this bike out I will do it again, even if its a forced upon me ABS/traction control model.  Next up, when I have time is the ZX14 TBs, I want everything this bike has the capability to provide.  I want it all, and flies out is the first step.
As the commercial goes---Just do it!

PS:  Reversal is as easy as removal should you decide you dont like it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
All at once ZG. I was worried about jerky throttle ,it has some, droning at speed, it has that too. But it also has the "OH Yes" now that means more to me. That is my take on the mod.....blanton

So isn't it a fair assessment to say that the improvement you felt "could" have just been from the full system and PCV, and not necessarily the result of the flies pulled??  ???

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »

PS:  Reversal is as easy as removal should you decide you dont like it.

Thanks SoP,
Wouldn't the reversal require remapping the PCV or no??  ???

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:23:15 PM »
I would say yes, but the standard maps are readily available from Fuel Moto, provided that is who you bought from, and contrary to current postings, Jamie is da man, he'll speak with you on the phone and he tells it straight.  He is a busy man and may be difficult to reach, but each time he returned the call as soon as he could.  If anyone finds a better package deal the Fuelmoto post up, I lokked high and low and never could beat his price or service.  Go the full monty, including the Autotune, kinda like owning your own rolling dyno.  This winter I averaged 41 measured MPG, as things are finally warming up I am getting a consistant 44-45, with the throttle restricter on the back I get 48-49, fully loaded, she doesnt like my happy grip so everything is in slo mo and as smooth as can be, with the low end torque I short shift quite often.  And I tend to do a controlled rolling stop, seems she want BOTH tires on the ground at all times :'(  Go ahead, sell that slip on, contact Janie, and drop some change.  I dont see a need to have a mechanic do the job, I aint that far north of you (Port Orchard, WA, and if you need help I have what we need to gitterdun, shops mostly cleaned up, tools are put away and I need company to do the ZX14 install!  Beer after completion, which would include a short but dyno check out ride.
As a disclaimor-I am in no way affiliated with AreaP, I just like what they have done, I'm a sold customer, I bet you will be too, after the deed is done.  I'd even let you have a crack on mine before we tear into yours.  Fair deal?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
I would say yes, but the standard maps are readily available from Fuel Moto, provided that is who you bought from, and contrary to current postings, Jamie is da man, he'll speak with you on the phone and he tells it straight.  He is a busy man and may be difficult to reach, but each time he returned the call as soon as he could.  If anyone finds a better package deal the Fuelmoto post up, I lokked high and low and never could beat his price or service.  Go the full monty, including the Autotune, kinda like owning your own rolling dyno.  This winter I averaged 41 measured MPG, as things are finally warming up I am getting a consistant 44-45, with the throttle restricter on the back I get 48-49, fully loaded, she doesnt like my happy grip so everything is in slo mo and as smooth as can be, with the low end torque I short shift quite often.  And I tend to do a controlled rolling stop, seems she want BOTH tires on the ground at all times :'(  Go ahead, sell that slip on, contact Janie, and drop some change.  I dont see a need to have a mechanic do the job, I aint that far north of you (Port Orchard, WA, and if you need help I have what we need to gitterdun, shops mostly cleaned up, tools are put away and I need company to do the ZX14 install!  Beer after completion, which would include a short but dyno check out ride.
As a disclaimor-I am in no way affiliated with AreaP, I just like what they have done, I'm a sold customer, I bet you will be too, after the deed is done.  I'd even let you have a crack on mine before we tear into yours.  Fair deal?

I'm excited just reading this SoP!!  ;D ;D ;D

The full system I'd go with is actually the Muzzys dual carbon though, not the AP, no offence...

I do appreciate the offer, I'll definitely keep that in mind, more to come!  :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:43:59 PM »
Mine are staying in for sure!!!!!!! I dont need anymore electronic gadgets "PCV" and or things that could possibly go wrong, and like this bike needs more low end torque and or HP! ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »
My ZX14 significantly decreased MPG when I popped the flies. PCIII after that mod didn't help MPG but did help the lean condition.

Mine are staying in on the C14, its a long distance commuter
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »
Forgot to add Autotune. I feel like it makes everything gell. I too am interested in the larger TBs.....blanton

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Forgot to add Autotune. I feel like it makes everything gell. I too am interested in the larger TBs.....blanton

Further between stops is more important to me than throttlebody mods, thin gasket mods and porting heads and such.

A real simple mod is putting a whole ZX14 engine in, not just the bigger Tbs.  Ton more HP and of course mine got a whopping 29 MPG when I babied it.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline toxxic

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
Son of Pappy, your post inspired me. I am a new to C14's after years on Blackbirds...

I recently picked up a Two Brothers slip on, PCIII, and the flies are next! :D  Oh, and I live in Bonney Lake, just up the road from you!

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 01:12:12 AM »
ZG,

Have you looked into having your ECU reflashed with a custom map rather than going the PCV route?  This would eliminate the need to pull the flies as how much and at what rpm they open can all be adjusted in the reflash (along with eliminating the 155mph speed limiter if you want).  They can even tweak the timing advance in the reflash, though with the variable cam timing that opens up a big can of worms that would require a lot of dyno time to get right.

Here's the current thread on the Guhl Reflash
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1585.0

And here's the current thread on the Dynotronics Reflash
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1083.0

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:59 AM »
After I installed my PCV, K&N filter and removed the flies. I feel in love this bike all over again. I like someone else mentioned actually increased my gas mileage on the bike after doing the above mentioned mods. I gained 2-3 MPGS after doing all the above mods. I would go back. The bike feels amazing after doing this.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »
I've never ridden one with the flies out, so I won't even guess as to how real the improvements are.  But one thing that is not in dispute is that any improvement is only in the mid-range.  It has no effect on the actual horsepower peak which is at higher rpm.  I'm 58 years old and started riding 40 years ago.  I actually enjoy shifting gears.  Point being that you can get the same performance with or without pulling them if you are just willing on using all six gears when you want more acceleration.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stewart

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »
What year do you have, if its a 10/11 then removing the flies impacts the traction control from what I understand. Going the flash path addresses this issue.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Mighty

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:16 AM »
I pulled my flies at 200 miles and installed the PC V and BMC filter.  The first thing I noticed was that the power was available at lower rpms which I greatly appreciated.  My PC V promptly failed and I have been riding without it for the last 1,200 miles. I took a 1,000 mile ride last weekend and averaged 44 MPG's hauling ass. I can't say whether the PC V will help MPG's but it makes sense that it will seeing Jamie takes fuel out of the map across the board. But I will take 44 MPG's averaging 80 MPH all day  ;D

Bottom line is remove those flies. 
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette