Author Topic: 3rd gear problems. don't know what to do  (Read 5844 times)

Offline bdpakaknox

3rd gear problems. don't know what to do
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
Hello guys, my 2014 c14 is having a problem. Bike has 2900 miles on it.
It does not like to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it will grind or clunk, and sometimes pop out. Also the "3" will not show up on the gear indicator when this is occurring. Every other gear behaves normally.
I have noticed that the fluid in the clutch reservoir is significantly darker than the brake, don't know if that has anything to do with it.
My warranty doesn't cover anything inside the case, think will Kawasaki do anything to fix this or am I SOL?

Thanks.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: 3rd gear problems. don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:13:05 PM »
Normal for the clutch fluid to be dirtier. Why won't the warranty cover internal issues? You should still be under the 3 year factory warranty.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:14:59 PM »
Isn't the factory warranty 3 years? If so it should be covered. Man of Blues has a firm grasp on the whole warranty thing. He will probably respond in the not too distant future.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline bdpakaknox

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Good to hear the fluid color is normal.
I was just going over my warranty paperwork I got from the dealership. I extra warranty I paid for doesn't cover internal problems, that's what I was referring to. So the factory should cover a repair?

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
Change the oil and filter. Ride/shift aggressively for a tankful and see what happens. Check your battery and ground connections that the ground points on the frame are brushed clean of paint and connections are tight. 2-3 can be iffy and stiffy; work it out. Change the oil and filter.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 10:29:37 PM »
I was just going over my warranty paperwork I got from the dealership. [The] extra warranty I paid for doesn't cover internal problems, that's what I was referring to.

Eeww- you bought a non-factory/non-Kawasaki extended warranty?  That is probably a big mistake.  What kind of warranty doesn't cover "internal" problems?  What if you are not happy with that dealer?  Most anything that can break is "internal." Scary.

You can get a REAL factory warranty for an additional 3 years of full coverage that will allow service by ANY Kawasaki dealer for just $383.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0

So the factory should cover a repair?

Yes, of course.  Just take it to a dealer and tell them what is wrong.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
Change the oil and filter. Ride/shift aggressively for a tankful and see what happens. Check your battery and ground connections that the ground points on the frame are brushed clean of paint and connections are tight. 2-3 can be iffy and stiffy; work it out. Change the oil and filter.

Wtf?

Come on.....
Its a shift issue...

To the o/p:

If you have done normal and suggested routine fluid replacements, there is no reason the shifting should be an issue for you to pay for. I also suggest in extended warrenties, which you can find here for a reduced price...
You are still under original oem warenty, and therefore ridability issues should be fully covered, seek the assistance of your cognizant dealer, and be proper and correct when dealing with them, do not biotch at them, just be firm, and ask them for corrections on the bike. This should afford you a viable solution.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:52:09 PM »
@MOB (and OP)... it's a 2014 with 2900 miles. There likely haven't been ANY fluid replacements (maybe the 600 mile?). Bike hasn't had its first diaper changed yet. You can mess with the dealer if you wish, but I would hammer on the bike awhile (throttle and shifting) after an oil change and checking your connections. And verify your warranty, and/or your understanding of it; sounds fishy. You have at least a few months left on the 3-year factory warranty, which is pretty comprehensive.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 05:23:56 AM »
Fluid has nothing to do with this issue.  If the bike was bought in the US, it has a three year warranty and the dealer will fix it.  This kind of problem is totally abnormal and even unheard of with a bike with next to nothing mileage.  Where was the bike bought?

With all that being said, if one buys a bike that has been sitting as long as this one has (dealer floor) before being bought then changing every fluid in it and possibly the battery and changing out the tires might be wise.  However, I really don't think that fluids would cause this the third gear shifting issue.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline bdpakaknox

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 09:55:19 AM »
Fluid has nothing to do with this issue.  If the bike was bought in the US, it has a three year warranty and the dealer will fix it.  This kind of problem is totally abnormal and even unheard of with a bike with next to nothing mileage.  Where was the bike bought?

With all that being said, if one buys a bike that has been sitting as long as this one has (dealer floor) before being bought then changing every fluid in it and possibly the battery and changing out the tires might be wise.  However, I really don't think that fluids would cause this the third gear shifting issue.

Bought from a large dealer in San Diego. I did have concerns about the amount of time it was sitting. I had them replace the battery as part of the deal, tires had no problem.
Its only had the 600 mile service done by the dealer I purchased it from, no other fluids have been replaced.
I'm bringing it it in on Monday, we'll see how this plays out.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
Gary, I don't think this is anything to do with an electrical problem.  Sound mechanical to me.  But what do I know, I'm just a tin man. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 12:27:42 PM »
Just throwing it out there. Having a superior gen 1, all these problems are somewhat foreign to me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 12:40:29 PM »
Just throwing it out there. Having a superior gen 1, all these problems are somewhat foreign to me.

The gen 1 has the same number of issues with the battery/connection as the other C14's, but I concur that it seems this is unlikely to be electrical.   I believe the transmission is also identical gen1/gen2 (although the 2015/2016 have that slightly different first gear ratio).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »
@OP... I bought a holdover bike and the dealer let me leave with 3 quarts of black sludge for engine oil. I have changed oil and filter twice myself, and I'm only at 4400 miles. Shifting 2nd to 3rd is getting better and it was always notchy/missing before. And I have done some electrical accessory work, which means I've pulled and cleaned all the connections. I was referring to the idea gpink linked to. By all means let the dealer sort it out for you, but don't blindly trust them. They just want holdover bikes gone and many dealers don't want to give their all to warranty work. Protect yourself.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
@OP... I bought a holdover bike and the dealer let me leave with 3 quarts of black sludge for engine oil.

That is really odd.  I would not expect oil in a sealed engine, that is not being used, for a few years,  to turn to sludge or disappear (only 3 quarts of almost 5 left?).

By all means let the dealer sort it out for you, but don't blindly trust them. They just want holdover bikes gone and many dealers don't want to give their all to warranty work. Protect yourself.

Always good advice

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »
True enough. But who knows what was in there to start. Who says it was 5 quarts? I got the bike home and drained only three quarts of solid black nastiness and the OE filter was a caked over mess (I cut it open to check). I'm just saying one must take personal responsibility for every aspect of maintenance and care these days unless one has a dealer with a heart and mind of gold. Good luck OP; please follow up if you are able.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline bdpakaknox

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
Got the bike back from the dealer. Apparently a tech and the service rider both rode the bike and guess what? Neither of them found anything wrong. Big surprise hu?
I am going to continue to ride the bike, and see if the problem gets worse.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
Got the bike back from the dealer. Apparently a tech and the service rider both rode the bike and guess what? Neither of them found anything wrong. Big surprise hu?
I am going to continue to ride the bike, and see if the problem gets worse.

2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline bdpakaknox

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »
I will change the oil and filter and report back.