Author Topic: Just got my 2014 C-14! TPS question regarding my local dealer as well as others  (Read 13022 times)

wcgreen

Hey folks!  Been on here for well over a year, talking and looking.  Finally purchased and got an extremely good deal on this 2012.  Canyon cages, Sargent seat, Larger shield, Throttlemaster, 12,700 miles on it and just put 1k on it past 2 weeks getting it back to grad school... Is my only transportation for next 3 years, so gotta keeping running tip-top.  Day I got it, TPS sensor showing front tire battery low.  Guy I bought from said just gotta put a battery in there.  Got to Tuscaloosa... local dealer, who I need to have a good relationship with since this is my only vehicle, said you cannot replace battery, and gotta put $250+ new sensor on it.. said Kawasaki will not allow you to replace battery.  Gotta be the whole unit.  So... correct?  Thoughts?  I missed my extended warranty by 4 days according to Kawasaki.    Also, this dealer will not mount tires purchased off net.  Pirelli Angel GT for front is gonna run $220 there with everything.  Sadly, I am in grad school, in an apt and no way to do any of this myself.  Appreciate your thoughts!
Billy
www.wcgreen.net

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:03:26 PM by wcgreen »

Offline Landon

First you need to try to find a local that has the equipment and will help you change tires. Dealers will not change the batteries as far a I know. Depending on what type of sensor you have (they changed at one point) you may be able to remove the sensors and send them to Fred Harmon in Texas. Unfortunately this will put you without your bike for a few days while they are shipped there and back.

I try not to depend on any dealer. You might try to ask some locals if there is a small independent shop or someone that does tires on the side for a much smaller fee. If you were closer to me (Southern Indiana) I would be glad to give you a hand with tire changes as I have the equipment.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Hey folks!  Been on here for well over a year, talking and looking.  Finally purchased and got an extremely good deal on this 2012.

Welcome/congrats

Day I got it, TPS sensor showing front tire battery low.  Guy I bought from said just gotta put a battery in there.  Got to Tuscaloosa... local dealer, who I need to have a good relationship with since this is my only vehicle, said you cannot replace battery, and gotta put $250+ new sensor on it.. said Kawasaki will not allow you to replace battery.  Gotta be the whole unit.  So... correct?

Like said, correct.  Dealers will not replace the battery, only the whole sensor.  So either you have to do that, or go to a non-dealer to remove the tire (or do it yourself) and replace the battery yourself (which does require some work... it is not designed to have the battery replaced).

I missed my extended warranty by 4 days according to Kawasaki.

Oh, THAT is a *HUGE* shame, because for just $383 or something, you could have had *3 YEARS* of more coverage for the entire bike and it would have also covered that sensor.  Plus, you can often work a deal that they cut the price of putting on a new tire, if needed, because replacing the sensor covers unmounting and remounting a tire.

Also, this dealer will not mount tires purchased off net.

Yep, also very common.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

Welcome/congrats

Like said, correct.  Dealers will not replace the battery, only the whole sensor.  So either you have to do that, or go to a non-dealer to remove the tire (or do it yourself) and replace the battery yourself (which does require some work... it is not designed to have the battery replaced).

Oh, THAT is a *HUGE* shame, because for just $383 or something, you could have had *3 YEARS* of more coverage for the entire bike and it would have also covered that sensor.  Plus, you can often work a deal that they cut the price of putting on a new tire, if needed, because replacing the sensor covers unmounting and remounting a tire.

Yep, also very common.

$383? hmmmm.  They put my VIN into the Kawasaki computer and it said an extrea 3 years was $630.  An extra year was $450 and 2 was $550.  According to the dealer, that only applied to the original owner extending the warranty and he could get a grace period... according to him, I could not get the warranty because it expired a few days ago and they would have also wanted $630 for 3 more years.
Billy

Offline connie_rider

Find another dealer....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
What was the original purchase date?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
$383? hmmmm.  They put my VIN into the Kawasaki computer and it said an extrea 3 years was $630.  An extra year was $450 and 2 was $550.  According to the dealer, that only applied to the original owner extending the warranty and he could get a grace period... according to him, I could not get the warranty because it expired a few days ago and they would have also wanted $630 for 3 more years.

"EXTENDED GTPP 36 MONTH WARRANTY....now $383..."
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

What was the original purchase date?

1/13/2013

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

Offline Landon

Billy

I would talk to the seller I bought it from and see if he would extend it under the grace period if you paid for it. Once he bought it then the extended warranty would transfer to you.

You might also reach out to Pete in the other thread and see if you can extend it through him.

wcgreen

That just really sucks.

Yeah... I know.  However, I got a really good deal on this bike.  Was thinking I could only get a 2010 at best.  I did have to put every bit of scratch together to get it, so I likely would not have had the VERY reasonable $383 to get the warranty... eating beans and rice the rest of the month!  But, I am happy I could get the bike... 2012, 12,700 miles, Sargent seat, Canyon cages, big wind screen, Throttlemaster, new rear tire, and got it for $7500.  So, hate that I couldnt get that warranty.. just missed it!  But happy I could get a 2012 for a good price!
Billy
www.wcgreen.net

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Welcome Billy. Sorry about the warranty time out thingie, that's too bad. The battery usually will come back once it warms up, at least at first. Then eventually (usually months) it just dies and you'll quit getting warnings and just a "---"where the tire pressure numbers were.

Quote from: wcgreen's web site

OH OH! another swordsman on the forum. Look out V'Jim!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
That toothpick's not a sword.  :rotflmao:

Billy, I thought you college kids lived on Ramen and beer.  :)

wcgreen

Welcome Billy. Sorry about the warranty time out thingie, that's too bad. The battery usually will come back once it warms up, at least at first. Then eventually (usually months) it just dies and you'll quit getting warnings and just a "---"where the tire pressure numbers were.

OH OH! another swordsman on the forum. Look out V'Jim!

Thanks for that!  I may look into finding out how to remove the sensor... apparently, you can do this without removing the tire... install just a regular tire valve, and  send those removed sensors off to Frank for repair... then, try to find a local AL pal that has tire change ability, and install the fixt sensors when I get new tires.
Billy

wcgreen

Oh, they mostly do that around me... At 51, my tastes are a bit more ingrained!
Billy

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Thanks for that!  I may look into finding out how to remove the sensor... apparently, you can do this without removing the tire... install just a regular tire valve, and  send those removed sensors off to Frank for repair... then, try to find a local AL pal that has tire change ability, and install the fixt sensors when I get new tires.

True, there is a way to do it.  Brian explained it and it looks far more tricky than I know I could manage.  Thankfully, a lot of people out there are more handy than I.  :)

Offline Cloggy

I may look into finding out how to remove the sensor... apparently, you can do this without removing the tire...
Piece of cake, have just done this myself. Two C clamps, a large flat blade screwdriver, some small blocks of wood and a bit of elbow grease. And of course a way to inflate the tyre again.

Pierre
Of course I don't know how to act my age. I have never been this old before!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Agreed and Welcome!

For your enjoyment....  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13831.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
One point that has not been mentioned. Although the low battery warning is annoying, it is also false. I have an 08 that I bought new in October 2007. My original batteries worked for 4 and a half years AFTER I got my first low battery warning. A true low battery warning should mean that battery failure is imminent not four years away! So one option is just to live with it, which I did until tutorials for replacing batteries were published. Once you get adept at the message reset technique you can clear your display easily even with heavy gloves on.

I have replaced one set of batteries so far.  Now one of the replacements is giving the low battery signal full time. I will replace it during my next tire change.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
My low battery warnings occurred in colder weather, not warm.  But the temp that they started complaining at eventually rose to the point that I decided to replace the batteries.  Hasn't come back yet, knock on wood.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.