Author Topic: Electrical problem, Igintion problem or Engine issue ??? Need Help  (Read 17738 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Electrical problem, Igintion problem or Engine issue ??? Need Help
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 03:47:19 AM »
The dirty fuel you're getting would also cause a plugged injector as BDF suggested.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
As you can see in the picture (No.1), cylinder one has not admission at all.
That look as a valve problem, but then i decided to clean the
gas bump. After that, the bike was much better (No.2) .

I did the same test, two hours after and the problem persist
with the same cilynder (No.3).

Definitly, IMO the bike has a stuck or burnt valve.

elp_jc

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »
Just do a compression and/or leakdown test and you'll know if you have valve issues. Without 'Tier 1' gas where you live, you need some kind of injector cleaning regimen to avoid such issues. And I'd at least replace the faulty injector, but I'd do all 4 myself. With a faulty injector, the affected cylinder runs lean, with means excessive heat. If you have valve damage, that probably was the culprit, hence why I'd replace all 4 injectors now. Also remember to use fuel stabilizer if bike sits for any length of time, especially the winter. Good luck.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
Certainly something mechanical inside that cylinder, either a valve(s) failure to seat as you mention, hole in the piston, broken wrist pin or something similar. It is possible althugh probably unlikely, that a valve has a piece of carbon or other debris under the seat. At any rate, I doubt this is repairable without taking the engine apart, and I do not believe that can happen until the engine is removed from the bike. Sorry to hear this piece of news....

I do not know if you can make it work out financially but now that these bikes have been around for quite a while, there is always the possibility of finding a good or even great condition engine in a bike that was wrecked. ? Not sure what that would cost you in Venezuela, and I am not sure it would be cost- effective given the large amount of labor that it would take to swap engines.

The very best of luck going forward though either with that bike or if not, then hopefully with a nice replacement bike at a reasonable price.

Brian

Edited to fix country the OP actually lives in.

As you can see in the picture (No.1), cylinder one has not admission at all.
That look as a valve problem, but then i decided to clean the
gas bump. After that, the bike was much better (No.2) .

I did the same test, two hours after and the problem persist
with the same cilynder (No.3).

Definitly, IMO the bike has a stuck or burnt valve.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:10:31 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
I'm guessing here, but I don't think he is in Germany....maybe you are thinking of Martin?  Pretty sure JH is in South Am., specifically Venezuela....just a guess.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »
Yep, my mistake. And that Venezuelan flag next to his signature is a dead give- away. :-)  And yep, Martin is exactly the guy I was thinking of.

Brian

I'm guessing here, but I don't think he is in Germany....maybe you are thinking of Martin?  Pretty sure JH is in South Am., specifically Venezuela....just a guess.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
Certainly something mechanical inside that cylinder, either a valve(s) failure to seat as you mention, hole in the piston, broken wrist pin or something similar. It is possible althugh probably unlikely, that a valve has a piece of carbon or other debris under the seat. At any rate, I doubt this is repairable without taking the engine apart, and I do not believe that can happen until the engine is removed from the bike. Sorry to hear this piece of news....

I do not know if you can make it work out financially but now that these bikes have been around for quite a while, there is always the possibility of finding a good or even great condition engine in a bike that was wrecked. ? Not sure what that would cost you in Germany, and I am not sure it would be cost- effective given the large amount of labor that it would take to swap engines.

The very best of luck going forward though either with that bike or if not, then hopefully with a nice replacement bike at a reasonable price.

Brian

Good News !!!!!
The engine was opened this morning (not for me) and it's fine (only 70000 Kms).
The problem is carbon on it that cause valve failure to seat.
At the same time the throttle body assy was removed for maintenance
Tomorrow I'l post some pics.

About the cost, here the economy is almost destroyed,
the inflation this year roud around 200%.
I have to pay just $250
Not bad, after all.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »
I'm breathing again !!!!!!!
 ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »
Excellent! I really was not holding out for that possibility even though I suggested it could and does happen. Great news.

Brian

Good News !!!!!

I have to pay just $250
Not bad, after all.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
I'm breathing again !!!!!!!
 ;D

Thank goodness!  :banana

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 04:20:11 PM »

Good News !!!!!

I have to pay just $250
Not bad, after all.

Great!  How did the OTHER valves look?

I wonder if this is caused by poor or incorrect gasoline.  Do you have access to the correct octane gas and with quality cleaners in it?  If not, when you get it working again, you might want to consider running a high-quality additive like Techron through it regularly.   I always run correct octane and generally think it is quality gas, but still run a dose of Techron through all my vehicles at least once a year.  Cheap insurance.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
Great!  How did the OTHER valves look?

I wonder if this is caused by poor or incorrect gasoline.  Do you have access to the correct octane gas and with quality cleaners in it?  If not, when you get it working again, you might want to consider running a high-quality additive like Techron through it regularly.   I always run correct octane and generally think it is quality gas, but still run a dose of Techron through all my vehicles at least once a year.  Cheap insurance.

The octane is correct, but the quality, at this moment i'm not sure.
At the same time i have installed a high rich map at the power commander, IMO that can be a reason.
I will use an additive regularly after this.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
At the same time i have installed a high rich map at the power commander, IMO that can be a reason.

Oh yeah, too rich could certainly cause deposit build-up problems, I think it is because there is too much unburned fuel and also the burn is not as hot as it should run.  What about the other valves or valve seats?  Was is just the one, or did they all show deposits, perhaps just not as bad?  If they were all showing buildup, then I am guessing that would very much point to fuel....

I know there are lots of additives out there, but I have traditionally trusted Techron because my best friend (the master mechanic) did tons of research on such things and likes it a lot.  If you do use it, remember to only use the appropriate amount for our tiny tanks.  The bottles are a pain because they have no sight and are not graduated.  So measuring it for motorcycles is difficult.

Additives can't cure a problem when they have become so bad as to cause issues like yours.  Nor can they probably help if the mix is way off.  But supposedly they are very helpful for ongoing maintenance, especially if the gasoline additives being used around there are poor quality or just not enough in the gas.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »

I would also make sure the correct heat range spark plug is being used- someone may have installed the wrong plugs.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
A lot of carbon on it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 02:44:08 PM »
Didn't happen to check clearances before you pulled the cams did you?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
A lot of carbon on it.

Wow!

But you still haven't answered my question... not really... is there a lot of carbon buildup on the valves in all the cylinders or just one?  You posted a photo of two valves, but those could be two from the same cylinder....  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
I'm thinking third world fuel... and trying to digest and regurgitate all the aforementioned variables... half way around the globe.

man, if I could only taste the gas, it would give me a hint....

joking.

that's a lot of carbon.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »
Wow!

But you still haven't answered my question... not really... is there a lot of carbon buildup on the valves in all the cylinders or just one?  You posted a photo of two valves, but those could be two from the same cylinder....  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

The rest of the valve do not leak, but do not have been removed.
The mechanic told me that want to do the clearence adjustment before remove the other valve.
I told him that the other valve have to have a lot of carbon too.
Have not sense after open the engine, do not clean all the valves.