Author Topic: Satellite Radio  (Read 14552 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Satellite Radio
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
Who here has Sirius/XM Satellite Radio installed on their bike?

If you do have it could you send me pics on how you have it mounted? I looked on their website and it looks like all the offer are "handle bar" mounts for the antenna and I'm curious as to where and how you've mounted the "radio mount".

Thanks everyone!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Satellite Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »
My thought of adding Satellite radio may be a no-go because they don't offer radios with Bluetooth capabilites ???
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
The trophy SE comes with Satellite Radio     ;D  ::)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »

Whatever ::)
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »

I know, but you know where I stand with that!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
Can you get satellite radio on your phone?  I have a Sena SMH10 and I play music all the time from my Galaxy S5 via Bluetooth.  In fact, I have a very large playlist and never reach the end of it.  Course if I was doing an Ironbutt or something like it I might reach the end of it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »
Jim, satellite radio is more for sports and talk radio enthusiasts.   The music quality sucks.  I have 4 vehicles with the capability, but won't subscribe until they turn on all 4 for one price since I can only be in one at a time.  I tell them this every time they solicit me.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »
Can you get satellite radio on your phone?  I have a Sena SMH10 and I play music all the time from my Galaxy S5 via Bluetooth.  In fact, I have a very large playlist and never reach the end of it.  Course if I was doing an Ironbutt or something like it I might reach the end of it.

Yeah, I can get it for my phone but was just curious how people were doing it, if they were doing it? I also have the SMH10 (which I LOVE) and listen to Spotify on my phone but thought it might be nice to have satellite also so I could change things up a bit. But, as TwoWheel said, the music on satellite isn't that great which is why I'm not pursuing this with much effort. Spotify has "radio" as well but the radio part of Spotify isn't that great either!

Jim, I'm hoping to get the new SENA 10C ... I'm asking Santa for it! Have you heard much about that device?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
My Harley had come with siruis and it sucked! every time I rode down a tree covered road I would loose reception and as someone else mentioned the quality is poor for music. Even in my truck you can tell how poor the transmission is with satellite even more so when switching between that and HD radio, im at the point where I have just let my subscription end.

On the connie I just use my phone and stream music.

elp_jc

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 12:54:48 PM »
Jim, I'm hoping to get the new SENA 10C ... I'm asking Santa for it! Have you heard much about that device?
I was going to order it along with the GT-Air I ordered the other day. But turns out you need a freaking wireless remote to operate it, so changed my mind. The remote looks awful, and has a gigantic elongated clamp that looks like giant pliers, which has awful reviews for turning easily wherever you put it. And taking way too much space on the grips. There're buttons on the helmet, but they're 'emergency', so not able to control the unit completely. Plus they're INSIDE the helmet, so you'd have to fully open the shield to operate. A big fail in execution. I thought the 10C was going to be like the Schuberth, which has all buttons under the helmet. Check it out before you order one. Oh, and can't (easily) remove the battery from the helmet once installed. And the fit wasn't great either, especially the rear part (battery), where the holes don't line up, and don't allow the snaps to close properly. The new 20 seems like a lot better alternative at this point, and it's cheaper to boot. Hope this helps.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »
I was going to order it along with the GT-Air I ordered the other day. But turns out you need a freaking wireless remote to operate it, so changed my mind. The remote looks awful, and has a gigantic elongated clamp that looks like giant pliers, which has awful reviews for turning easily wherever you put it. And taking way too much space on the grips. There're buttons on the helmet, but they're 'emergency', so not able to control the unit completely. Plus they're INSIDE the helmet, so you'd have to fully open the shield to operate. A big fail in execution. I thought the 10C was going to be like the Schuberth, which has all buttons under the helmet. Check it out before you order one. Hope this helps.

What? That's lame >:( Why'd they do that? Well, looks like I WON'T be buying it after all, at least until they change they way it's operated!

Thanks for the "head's up" JC!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
My Harley had come with siruis and it sucked! every time I rode down a tree covered road I would loose reception and as someone else mentioned the quality is poor for music. Even in my truck you can tell how poor the transmission is with satellite even more so when switching between that and HD radio, im at the point where I have just let my subscription end.

On the connie I just use my phone and stream music.

1jeep, are you happy to be an "ex-Harley" rider :P?

I ask because my brother is a Harley rider. We went on a road trip together and he saw where the differences were ... if you know what I mean :)!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »

Yes, you can get the SiriusXM app for your phone... I have it on my iPhone (came w/ my new Camaro, a full year subscription). 

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline chap

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
I have XM satellite on my C14. I installed a Marine Box in my Kawasaki (Givi) 47 Liter Trunk. I ran power to it. I use an external Bluetooth dongle to send the audio to my J&M Headset. The antenna is just duct Taped to the inside top of the Trunk lid. Seems to work really well. I can take pics when I get home this evening and even give you the part #'s. Hopefully this helps.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »
I have XM satellite on my C14. I installed a Marine Box in my Kawasaki (Givi) 47 Liter Trunk. I ran power to it. I use an external Bluetooth dongle to send the audio to my J&M Headset. The antenna is just duct Taped to the inside top of the Trunk lid. Seems to work really well. I can take pics when I get home this evening and even give you the part #'s. Hopefully this helps.

That'd be great! I'd at least like to see what you did.

Thanks!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
1jeep, are you happy to be an "ex-Harley" rider :P?

I ask because my brother is a Harley rider. We went on a road trip together and he saw where the differences were ... if you know what I mean :)!

Sometimes I miss the HD, it was a nice bike and made me feel like I was the man when I pulled into places. It was also a time when my wife rode with me, she stopped and I had both bikes so chose the one I rode...the Harley was sold.
Now as a rider no I don't miss it! I live in Ma work in RI and have ridden to work everyday except 3 since april 1st, that would have never happened on the Harley. This bike just give me much better weather protection and versatility not to mention compared to the road barge it almost feels nimble! I was on Harleys for 10 years, prior was sport bikes, so it is great to be back!
Now I have a coworker that has just sold his victory and bought a yami super tenere for the same reason.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »
Sometimes I miss the HD, it was a nice bike and made me feel like I was the man when I pulled into places. It was also a time when my wife rode with me, she stopped and I had both bikes so chose the one I rode...the Harley was sold.
Now as a rider no I don't miss it! I live in Ma work in RI and have ridden to work everyday except 3 since april 1st, that would have never happened on the Harley. This bike just give me much better weather protection and versatility not to mention compared to the road barge it almost feels nimble! I was on Harleys for 10 years, prior was sport bikes, so it is great to be back!
Now I have a coworker that has just sold his victory and bought a yami super tenere for the same reason.

Nice! I rode my bro's Harley and wasn't impressed ... AT ALL! Nothing against HD but it's just not in my DNA to be on a bike like that. I do think they look good but that's about it for me. He has a 2015 Street Glide BTW. He wouldn't ride mine, said it "intimidated him!" ... LOL! We had an agreement when it came to the twisties, we agreed that I would see him on the other side and wait patiently for him to get through that section ... there were times I waited for what seemed like and eternity ::)! He did have cruise control and all the comfort features so I was jealous at that level but it still wasn't enough to sway me.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline chap

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
The marine box I used is available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PROTECHT-XMME-KIT001-Water-Resistant-Marine-Housing/dp/B001T9Z7HW

That link should take you there. There are many Bluetooth dongles available. Some don't work well with my J&M. I cant find the one I have, but J&M have one on their site now, so it should work well. Depends what headset you are using. I'll send pics later.

Of course you need a radio that fits the box, But I think it is pretty universal
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Landon

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
When I had an ST I had one for a short time. I had it wired through my J&M so I cannot speak for the Bluetooth part. It was not waterproof, if it rained I just put a ziplock bag over it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 01:46:34 PM »
I had the same issues with Sirius/XM as far as far as drop outs go.   I will say it worked great in the winter without leaves on the trees.  Not so much with the other seasons.  That's one of the reasons I dropped the service.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.