Author Topic: Satellite Radio  (Read 14549 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Satellite Radio
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
I had the same issues with Sirius/XM as far as far as drop outs go.   I will say it worked great in the winter without leaves on the trees.  Not so much with the other seasons.  That's one of the reasons I dropped the service.

I live in Southern California ... we have about 3 trees here!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »

And none of them have leaves on them!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline chap

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
I used to get some dropouts. It seems a lot better the last 2 years. I think they have better coverage. It cuts out once in a while in the mountains, but here on the Canadian prairies it works great. The odd cutout when passing some power lines, but I think it is the Bluetooth interference.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
Nice! I rode my bro's Harley and wasn't impressed ... AT ALL! Nothing against HD but it's just not in my DNA to be on a bike like that. I do think they look good but that's about it for me. He has a 2015 Street Glide BTW. He wouldn't ride mine, said it "intimidated him!" ... LOL! We had an agreement when it came to the twisties, we agreed that I would see him on the other side and wait patiently for him to get through that section ... there were times I waited for what seemed like and eternity ::)! He did have cruise control and all the comfort features so I was jealous at that level but it still wasn't enough to sway me.

my first hd was a 06 street glide, my previous was a 09 ultra CVO, im ashamed to say I paid $36k for a bike, but it looked good....performed like a wheel barrel!
It makes me laugh when I have HD guys give me the pipes now, mine had the screaming seagull 110 motor and I swore old woman on scooters could pass me! I wont make too much fun of them as someday I may return to one. Ive ridden with some of my fellow pirates a couple times last year, haven't done that again since after doing a lot of waiting. They are a different ride and you need to really be ready to slow down.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
my first hd was a 06 street glide, my previous was a 09 ultra CVO, im ashamed to say I paid $36k for a bike, but it looked good....performed like a wheel barrel!
It makes me laugh when I have HD guys give me the pipes now, mine had the screaming seagull 110 motor and I swore old woman on scooters could pass me! I wont make too much fun of them as someday I may return to one. Ive ridden with some of my fellow pirates a couple times last year, haven't done that again since after doing a lot of waiting. They are a different ride and you need to really be ready to slow down.

LOL ... it performed as well as a wheelbarrow (or wheel barrel, however you want to put it)? I've had wheelbarrows that out performed what I rode the day I rode his! I'm obviously being sarcastic here but they are called "Hogs" for a reason ... because they're pigs! The worst is being on a mountain ride and moving along at a good speed and then catching up to a pack of HD's doing about 15 mph on the twisties >:(!!!! I've had that happen too many times! Like I said before, they look good and it is a "lifestyle" and a lot of people are doing it.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »

Vehicle Code should limit HD's to straight stretches of road ONLY :rotflmao:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 05:37:45 PM »

Trees like rain :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
It makes me laugh when I have HD guys give me the pipes now, mine had the screaming seagull 110 motor and I swore old woman on scooters could pass me! I wont make too much fun of them

Oh go ahead.  My riding buddy and I call them "chrome lawnmowers" :)

as someday I may return to one.

No reason unless you want to.  Plenty of stuff to choose from now.

Ive ridden with some of my fellow pirates a couple times last year, haven't done that again since after doing a lot of waiting. They are a different ride and you need to really be ready to slow down.

For many (if not most) it is about show and "look at me".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
Vehicle Code should limit HD's to straight stretches of road ONLY :rotflmao:!

Vehicle code and laws and inspections require reasonable mufflers.  You can see how well THAT works.

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
I have xm on my 2011 since I bought it new. I use the Garmin 665 GPS with optional the x antenna (installed on right side of fairing with wweatherproof velcro). Bluetooth from GPS and helmet although you could direct wire if you wanted. Also get xm satellite weather radar which has kept me dry on numerous occasions. Will post pics when I have a chance l.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
I have xm on my 2011 since I bought it new. I use the Garmin 665 GPS with optional the x antenna (installed on right side of fairing with wweatherproof velcro). Bluetooth from GPS and helmet although you could direct wire if you wanted. Also get xm satellite weather radar which has kept me dry on numerous occasions. Will post pics when I have a chance l.

Something interesting to note is that on the Garmin flagship (and most recent release, although it is far from "new"), the Zumo 590, they no longer offer an XM (Satellite Radio) option at all.  It seems they have switched their attention to just supporting a data-linked smartphone to get things like music, traffic, and weather.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-cMotorcycles-p1.html

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 06:55:31 PM »
Nice! I rode my bro's Harley and wasn't impressed ... AT ALL! Nothing against HD but it's just not in my DNA to be on a bike like that. I do think they look good but that's about it for me. He has a 2015 Street Glide BTW. He wouldn't ride mine, said it "intimidated him!" ... LOL! We had an agreement when it came to the twisties, we agreed that I would see him on the other side and wait patiently for him to get through that section ... there were times I waited for what seemed like and eternity ::)! He did have cruise control and all the comfort features so I was jealous at that level but it still wasn't enough to sway me.

A lot of what you say in this post can be attributed to the rider, not the bike.  If he felt intimidated to ride the Concours, he is probably not a confident rider.  A properly set up Cruiser can do fine in the curves.  Sure, not racing speeds, and takes more skill to go fast than a sport bike, but in competent hands a large cruiser can move really well.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

elp_jc

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
He has a 2015 Street Glide BTW.
Funny; that's exactly what my brother owns as well (orange). But I have to say the new Street Glides are WAAAAY better than previous iterations. My brother's is the top of the line, and fully decked in chrome (he paid about 30 grand). The ABS is very ingenious, and invisible. Cruise is nice, but navigation is absolute crap... but map looks nice. I installed him the best speakers available, as well as the XM module, and it sounds very well until about 60. When I brought the bike home, I developed a headache with that stupid mini tinted screen, so bought the larger one (not as tinted though) on the Electra Glide, and it's a bit better, but still awful. Handling is what is immensely improved. For starters this bike has sport-touring low-profile rubber, and handles extremely well for its weight. In addition, the Street Glide is the HD chassis with the best cornering clearance of any Harley... but has no floorboard feelers. At least they fold on this bike, but you'd mess up the chrome if you drag them. No way I'd pay for such a bike with that cornering clearance, however. I ride for the twisties, and cornering clearance is still dismal for a sport rider. And I took it to a town 35 miles away, and my butt was done. These new bikes come with a 'low' seat (labeled as such), and it's extremely hard. Took my wife with me, and she also had enough. By the time we came back home, both were like if we had traveled all day. I've done 4 days in a row and in much better shape with a sport bike. On these bikes you not only crouch, but have no freaking way to absorb bumps with your legs as they're way forward. And your spine takes all the punishment. I wouldn't ride one even for free. Ha ha. But my other brother has a Harley Roadking Custom, and it's a walrus by comparison. Skinny crappy tires, super crappy brakes, handles like a dump truck... incredible anybody would ride those things long-distance. Finally, if I ever buy a cruiser-type bike, it'd be something like the F6B or Valkyrie, with more of a standard riding position, and a more attractive F6 engine.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »
Funny; that's exactly what my brother owns as well (orange). But I have to say the new Street Glides are WAAAAY better than previous iterations. My brother's is the top of the line, and fully decked in chrome (he paid about 30 grand). The ABS is very ingenious, and invisible. Cruise is nice, but navigation is absolute crap... but map looks nice. I installed him the best speakers available, as well as the XM module, and it sounds very well until about 60. When I brought the bike home, I developed a headache with that stupid mini tinted screen, so bought the larger one (not as tinted though) on the Electra Glide, and it's a bit better, but still awful. Handling is what is immensely improved. For starters this bike has sport-touring low-profile rubber, and handles extremely well for its weight. In addition, the Street Glide is the HD chassis with the best cornering clearance of any Harley... but has no floorboard feelers. At least they fold on this bike, but you'd mess up the chrome if you drag them. No way I'd pay for such a bike with that cornering clearance, however. I ride for the twisties, and cornering clearance is still dismal for a sport rider. And I took it to a town 35 miles away, and my butt was done. These new bikes come with a 'low' seat (labeled as such), and it's extremely hard. Took my wife with me, and she also had enough. By the time we came back home, both were like if we had traveled all day. I've done 4 days in a row and in much better shape with a sport bike. On these bikes you not only crouch, but have no freaking way to absorb bumps with your legs as they're way forward. And your spine takes all the punishment. I wouldn't ride one even for free. Ha ha. But my other brother has a Harley Roadking Custom, and it's a walrus by comparison. Skinny crappy tires, super crappy brakes, handles like a dump truck... incredible anybody would ride those things long-distance. Finally, if I ever buy a cruiser-type bike, it'd be something like the F6B or Valkyrie, with more of a standard riding position, and a more attractive F6 engine.

Haha, that's funny! My brother just upgraded hi stereo/speakers to the best as well! He also had a Road King but he traded that in for the new Street Glide. His SG has the Screaming Eagle suspension and he bought the Matte Black color. Like I said earlier, it looks great but rides, IMHO, TERRIBLE! And that seating position ... NO THANK YOU! My knees were in my chest and the it felt like I was sitting a foot lower than where I sit on my Concours! I love my Concours ... LOVE IT! I'm sure I'll love it even more after I get my ECU back from SISF :banana

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:23 AM »
Actually the streetglide is part of the "FL" family which is the same frame all their large touring bikes use. They lower it one inch in the rear to give it that "slammed" look, this takes away from the handling as you loose clearance. You need to step up to one of the true touring bikes such as the road glide or Ultra in the CVO spec to get the "better" handling. Once moving the big girls don't do bad but I always touched the floor boards, mine had V&H x pipe with monster ovals, the cross over would also scrape. I went through all the typical HD crap, changed all my speakers to hog tunes and amp, still sounded only ok as you can only get so much depth from speakers mounted in that bat wing fairing.

And yes, owning a Harley, a big portion is "look at me"

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Actually the streetglide is part of the "FL" family which is the same frame all their large touring bikes use. They lower it one inch in the rear to give it that "slammed" look, this takes away from the handling as you loose clearance. You need to step up to one of the true touring bikes such as the road glide or Ultra in the CVO spec to get the "better" handling. Once moving the big girls don't do bad but I always touched the floor boards, mine had V&H x pipe with monster ovals, the cross over would also scrape. I went through all the typical HD crap, changed all my speakers to hog tunes and amp, still sounded only ok as you can only get so much depth from speakers mounted in that bat wing fairing.

And yes, owning a Harley, a big portion is "look at me"

That's a nice looking bike! To me they are a "status thing" but they are pretty ... like show cars, only slower :rotflmao:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »
yes they are like show cars, thats what prompted its sale, after buying the connie I realized since my wife stopped riding I had no reason to keep the HD..it spent an entire season sitting in the garage.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
yes they are like show cars, thats what prompted its sale, after buying the connie I realized since my wife stopped riding I had no reason to keep the HD..it spent an entire season sitting in the garage.

Isn't that where they perform best?

;)

:chugbeer:

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
Isn't that where they perform best?

;)

:chugbeer:

Nice!  :chugbeer:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:46 AM »
oh boy you guys are as bad as the HD guys! But hey they go fairly well in a straight line...back into the garage.