Author Topic: New Helmet, New Experience  (Read 14371 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: New Helmet, New Experience
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »
Well, to do a fair helmet noise comparison, YOU would have to do it on the same bike at the same speed. Even if we had the same windscreen/bars/seat/etc (doubtful), AND same overall height, torso/neck/arm height, and riding position, would still place our heads differently vs the windscreen, and noise levels would be different. Now, throw changes in height and bike components and it's impossible to compare helmet noise levels. Oh, and if you own one of those barn-door windscreens many folks here like, you could ride without a helmet and earplugs, and you'd still have a 'quiet, peaceful area' ;D.

Same bike and same setup for a while now. The only thing that changed was the helmet. I doubt I change my riding position THAT much between rides so I am going to say it is a pretty fair helmet comparison ... Shark rough and noisy, Ibuki smooth and quiet.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

elp_jc

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »
Shark rough and noisy, Ibuki smooth and quiet.
That is a fair comparison indeed. Sorry for my confusing post. My point was others throwing their comments on their helmets would be like comparing apples to watermelons. On that subject, I'm tired of noisy helmets too, but the main culprit of road noise is the windscreen. And the second is the NECK of the helmet, not the helmet itself. My Shoei X12 is fairly noisy with the vents open (very good ventilation for hot TX, but the more ventilation, the noisier a helmet is). If I put my hands around my neck and helmet (Throttlemeister engaged), whisper quiet by comparison. I have a helmet 'neck scarf' for winter that makes it very quiet, but also very prone to fogging, so have to open the freaking vents. Finally, what really pisses me off is noisy closed vents, and ALL of my expensive Shoeis have always had one such vent. I'm ready for something better, but with my egg-shaped head, not many choices, unfortunately. A quiet helmet like the Schuberth, is extremely hot in summer... and doesn't fit me well. My only solution was a very low screen like the CopperDawg, but it's still time he doesn't have the green paint to do one for my bike. So bought the next best thing: a CB tinted mini-euro. If it doesn't reduce helmet noise to an acceptable level (haven't tried it on a trip yet), would have to look for a quieter helmet. Will research the Ibuki you have for head shape, and compare it noisewise with the X12 over webbikeworld. That's the only place to get somewhat objective data. I've thrown so much money away on helmets it's not funny. But once I found one that fit me (top-line Shoeis), I've been sticking to them, but I'm not entirely happy with them. Tried several Arais, but are crap IMO, so no more. Thank you for the info.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
That is a fair comparison indeed. Sorry for my confusing post. My point was others throwing their comments on their helmets would be like comparing apples to watermelons. On that subject, I'm tired of noisy helmets too, but the main culprit of road noise is the windscreen. And the second is the NECK of the helmet, not the helmet itself. My Shoei X12 is fairly noisy with the vents open (very good ventilation for hot TX, but the more ventilation, the noisier a helmet is). If I put my hands around my neck and helmet (Throttlemeister engaged), whisper quiet by comparison. I have a helmet 'neck scarf' for winter that makes it very quiet, but also very prone to fogging, so have to open the freaking vents. Finally, what really pisses me off is noisy closed vents, and ALL of my expensive Shoeis have always had one such vent. I'm ready for something better, but with my egg-shaped head, not many choices, unfortunately. A quiet helmet like the Schuberth, is extremely hot in summer... and doesn't fit me well. My only solution was a very low screen like the CopperDawg, but it's still time he doesn't have the green paint to do one for my bike. So bought the next best thing: a CB tinted mini-euro. If it doesn't reduce helmet noise to an acceptable level (haven't tried it on a trip yet), would have to look for a quieter helmet. Will research the Ibuki you have for head shape, and compare it noisewise with the X12 over webbikeworld. That's the only place to get somewhat objective data. I've thrown so much money away on helmets it's not funny. But once I found one that fit me (top-line Shoeis), I've been sticking to them, but I'm not entirely happy with them. Tried several Arais, but are crap IMO, so no more. Thank you for the info.

Oh, got it! Yes, you are correct when you put it that way ... sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to say :-\.

Now, helmets and windscreens are a PITA for sure! Helmets make a big difference but, again, you are correct is saying a big culprit are the windscreens. The big windscreens didn't do anything for me! I currently have a CeeBailey's Euro tinted and it's "okay". BEST screen I ever had (but sold it :'() was the MRA Xcreen on Madstad brackets. It's small but really smooths out the wind!

I have never ridden with a Shoei because I never cared for the way they fit. There was ALWAYS a hot spot high on my forehead! I really like the Ibuki I'm wearing and the more I ride with it the more I like it! It is vented well and opening the vents is like rolling the windows down but it's tolerable and does keep things cooler when needed! I really want to get another MRA and mount it on my Madstad's and ride with my new helmet on and see how good things are with that combination! Problem is, I have spent a ton of money on windscreens and don't know if I want to spend any more!
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Hey, you encouraged me to change my helmet. Did a bit of research, and unfortunately, the Kabuto is for rounder heads, not mine. Also decided on a full-face helmet but with a sun visor. It's probably not as safe as one without the visor due to not being SNELL certified, but safer than a modular one. The only one that would fit my head is the Shoei GT Air, and the good news is they didn't compromise thinning the EPS liner due to the dark visor, but it's still not SNELL certified though. Not a big deal, as I don't track my bikes. This helmet has a more oval shape due to the visor, and fits MUCH better than my current XL-sized X-12, which is too loose for safety even with thicker cheekpads. And the L size fits great; probably the best fitting helmet so far; not even the oval Arai Profile fit as well (hate those helmets, by the way). Just hope it doesn't hurt my left ear like the X-12 does (either I'm defective or the helmet is ;D). A bit on the tight side with a head liner, so will order the thinner center pad, and that should do the trick. Didn't feel any pressure points at all; just a bit tighter than I'd like, which I'm sure it'd bother me after an hour or two. Helmet feels much safer and secure than the racy X-12, due to covering lower in the head, and tapering more. The X-12 probably flows HALF as much as the X-11, but it's just as noisy. So this GT Air should vent at least as much as the X-12. But will probably be hotter in summer for sure, but that's the price you pay for a quieter interior. That's fine with me. At least it's not as claustrophobic as the Schuberth, and definitely much better looking IMO. Besides, my head doesn't fit Schuberths either, so not an option even if I wanted one. The best news is there's a new Sena communicator especially made for the GT Air (as well as the Neotec, Schuberth C3 and Arai Quantum), with only the battery showing at the back. Will start a new thread to make sure it doesn't interfere with fit anywhere, especially the speakers. Some components seem rather thick. Will keep you posted. More than noise, it's important to have a proper fitting helmet for best safety. I'll be safer on this one for sure, so even if it doesn't turn out to be great, it's going to be better than the X-12 for sure. And the model I liked was discontinued, and found it almost $300 below MSRP at CompAcc, so will call tomorrow to make sure it's brand new, never worn before. Take care.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »
Hey, you encouraged me to change my helmet. Did a bit of research, and unfortunately, the Kabuto is for rounder heads, not mine. Also decided on a full-face helmet but with a sun visor. It's probably not as safe as one without the visor due to not being SNELL certified, but safer than a modular one. The only one that would fit my head is the Shoei GT Air, and the good news is they didn't compromise thinning the EPS liner due to the dark visor, but it's still not SNELL certified though. Not a big deal, as I don't track my bikes. This helmet has a more oval shape due to the visor, and fits MUCH better than my current XL-sized X-12, which is too loose for safety even with thicker cheekpads. And the L size fits great; probably the best fitting helmet so far; not even the oval Arai Profile fit as well (hate those helmets, by the way). Just hope it doesn't hurt my left ear like the X-12 does (either I'm defective or the helmet is ;D). A bit on the tight side with a head liner, so will order the thinner center pad, and that should do the trick. Didn't feel any pressure points at all; just a bit tighter than I'd like, which I'm sure it'd bother me after an hour or two. Helmet feels much safer and secure than the racy X-12, due to covering lower in the head, and tapering more. The X-12 probably flows HALF as much as the X-11, but it's just as noisy. So this GT Air should vent at least as much as the X-12. But will probably be hotter in summer for sure, but that's the price you pay for a quieter interior. That's fine with me. At least it's not as claustrophobic as the Schuberth, and definitely much better looking IMO. Besides, my head doesn't fit Schuberths either, so not an option even if I wanted one. The best news is there's a new Sena communicator especially made for the GT Air (as well as the Neotec, Schuberth C3 and Arai Quantum), with only the battery showing at the back. Will start a new thread to make sure it doesn't interfere with fit anywhere, especially the speakers. Some components seem rather thick. Will keep you posted. More than noise, it's important to have a proper fitting helmet for best safety. I'll be safer on this one for sure, so even if it doesn't turn out to be great, it's going to be better than the X-12 for sure. And the model I liked was discontinued, and found it almost $300 below MSRP at CompAcc, so will call tomorrow to make sure it's brand new, never worn before. Take care.

Nice ... nice helmet too! Looks like it vents well and has the Pinlock which I'm now a fan of! I would be open to trying other helmets but I really like Modular and so I stick with those. Let me know how the helmet works out for you. Shoei never felt good on my head and, like you, Schuberth was really constricting or claustrophobic! That's another issue ... when it comes time for me to buy a new bike (maybe end of 2016) I am considering the RT, Trophy and the newest Concours (heard Kawi is changing the Connie in 2017). I do like the RT but the problem with that bike is the comms. If you want to use their (BMW) comms to the fullest extent you have to buy their comm setup ... WHICH ONLY WORKS WITH SCHUBERTH HELMETS!!!! I've heard you can modify other helmets to accept their comms but if you read into what it takes I'm not about to do that to my helmet! I use SENA on my helmets and really like the comm setup I have. So, that will limit my choices for a new bike when the time comes. I am going to have my ECU flashed by SISF and if that flash is as good as everyone is saying it is I may be keeping my bike beyond end of 2016 and riding her till she dies! Either that or buy a new Connie and have Steve flash that one too :thumbs: It's things like "the flashing of the ECU", the support form the forum members, the friends I've made because I own the Connie, the fact that I can work on it now ... all these things are making me lean more-and-more toward a new Connie when the time comes. If the 2017 model has some decent changes to it (like CC and Electronic Suspension Control or things of that nature) I will trade mine in and go new! I REALLY like the Triumph Trophy BUT what scares me about that bike is the availability of parts and how many shops across the Country and in Canada can work on it? I am going to travel on whatever I have as much as possible so that is a major factor! Sorry, went off on a "tangent" there but funny how easy it is to get off on a completely different subject!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »
Sorry, went off on a "tangent" there but funny how easy it is to get off on a completely different subject!
Hey, you said 'new helmet, new experience'. A new bike is a new experience, so same subject ;D. I owned a 2014 RT, and BMW's proprietary comm system is crap indeed. And as you said, you need a Schuberth communicator to work. Most owners just use a Sena, so you end up spending a grand in something you'll never use. You can opt out of the audio/comm option, but you also forgo TPMS, central locking, and other few things (plus the dash looks like crap without the speakers). So basically BMW forces you to buy that crap. Plus dealers typically just order fully-loaded bikes to maximize their profits. Finally, I just didn't warm up to the flat twin; the delivery of power and sound of that engine are just awful, especially coming from a 4-cyl. I like the character of I-3 and V-2 engines, but will never waste my money on a F-2 ever again. I'd strongly advice you to rent an RT for a day, and you'll know if it's right for you or not. It had many things I really liked, like the brembo monoblock brakes (linked only front to back, and with full power, which was awesome), the quick-shifter, cruise control, the single-sided swingarm, and the way it handled. But it felt like a whale, even though it's actually lighter than the Connie. Didn't like its styling too much either, but don't care much about that. I was sad when I realized I had made a $23K mistake, but BMW came to the rescue in the form of a recall, offering to buy the bike back as one of the options, so I took it. Only lost a few hundred bucks in aftermarket accessories, because they paid me for everything I spent on the bike, plus OEM accessories (Nav V, Akrapovic exhaust, etc). BUT they took 5 months to pay me, so lost last year's riding season. Right after buying the Connie in early February, when I was planning a ride to Big Bend, was diagnosed with leukemia, so lost this freaking year's riding season too >:(. Oh well. Hope to make it and be in good shape next year to start riding again. Hey, I went on a tangent too. Ha ha.

Okay, let's get back to the main subject then. Ordered a GT-Air TC-4 Regalia yesterday. Didn't order the thinner center pad until I'm sure I need it. Plan to wear the helmet at home for a couple of hours, and then determine what I need to do. If there's just a pressure point (my forehead has a 'bump' that typically requires adjustment), would just press the foam a little in that area. But if my entire forehead starts hurting, then I'd order the thinner pad. That doesn't change with 'break in'. My head with the liner I use measures exactly 23-7/16s, which is smack in the middle of the Shoei size L range of 23-1/4 to 23-5/8. And I had a bit of play when pushing the helmet from behind, so am hoping this time the helmet shape is actually close to my head's. Finally, not all Shoeis have the same head shape buddy, just like any other brand. It's a bit frustrating that manufacturers don't tell you that, so you have to find out by yourself. But in general, Shoeis are known to have a neutral shape, with the GT-Air being the most oval friendly. Arais and Schuberths are more round. Arai used to have a model or 2 friendly to oval heads, but not anymore. The most oval friendly when I bought mine was the Profile, and now it's discontinued, so no more oval friendly models. With your neutral head shape, almost any helmet should fit you... except the ones that fit me, so avoid those. Ha ha. Will keep you posted when I get it on Thursday. Take care.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 06:01:01 AM »
Yep.  I was at Cycle Gear yesterday and ended up also ordering a Shoei GT-AIR.  It is certainly not cheap, but their XL fit me perfectly.  It has all the features I want, is a very good name, and I prefer to deal locally especially since they spent considerable time helping me.  It arrives Wednesday.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 08:21:39 AM »
Yep.  I was at Cycle Gear yesterday and ended up also ordering a Shoei GT-AIR.  It is certainly not cheap, but their XL fit me perfectly.  It has all the features I want, is a very good name, and I prefer to deal locally especially since they spent considerable time helping me.  It arrives Wednesday.

I'm very happy with mine. I like that it is very easy to open and close the top vents with gloves on. And I guess like you, I have a "Shoei" head. As much as I like less expensive alternatives or even more expensive such as Arai, nothing else fits me as well as a Shoei.

Offline Paragon

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
I can confirm the Kabuki is a great helmet!  I was really torn on my first ride with it and was very tempted to send it back.  The drop down shield didn't come down far enough for my liking but now that I'm used to it, I don't even notice it.  Air flow and stability of the helmet really is the strong point of this helmet.   I'm 6'0, 34" inseam and have ridden with both risers and now without.  My bike has the stock wind screen and at 75-80mph, the helmet stays stable.  The helmet is not quiet enough to ride any sort of distance at speed without ear plugs though.  The vents add most of that noise but I'm in AZ so riding with them closed it not an option.  As MikeB said, the sena works extremely well in this helmet.  Taking a phone call while riding is not an issue. 

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
I can confirm the Kabuki is a great helmet!  I was really torn on my first ride with it and was very tempted to send it back.  The drop down shield didn't come down far enough for my liking but now that I'm used to it, I don't even notice it.  Air flow and stability of the helmet really is the strong point of this helmet.   I'm 6'0, 34" inseam and have ridden with both risers and now without.  My bike has the stock wind screen and at 75-80mph, the helmet stays stable.  The helmet is not quiet enough to ride any sort of distance at speed without ear plugs though.  The vents add most of that noise but I'm in AZ so riding with them closed it not an option.  As MikeB said, the sena works extremely well in this helmet.  Taking a phone call while riding is not an issue.

As Paragon said, vents open is riding with the windows down and it is noisy because there is a lot of wind entering the helmet. I am also riding "vents open" here in So. Cal. because of how hot and humid it's been here. Things are beginning to cool down and I will be closing those vents soon which will make things quieter. I do ride with "Decibullz" in my ears so wind noise is never an issue.

Wind traveling around the helmet is so smooth ... I'm still amazed at how smooth it is, even if you turn your head all the way to the right or left, it's really smooth. I just put the V-Stream windscreen back on and will test it out with the Ibuki on once I get my flashed ECU back from Steve (hopefully on Saturday).

The drop down Inner Sun Visor drops down no different than my Shark so that's a "non-issue" for me BUT the really cool thing about the Ibuki is Kabuto will be offering their "mirrored" Inner Sun Visor as an option in either blue or silver. That's huge for me because half of the year I'm riding into a brutal sun on my way to work in the morning and that will make a HUGE difference. I wanted one for my Shark but they didn't offer it so I had to go "mirrored" on the main face shield and clear on my drop -down sun visor. That was fine until I had to ride at night or when it got cold because I had to ride with my main face shield open. Once the mirrored sun visor is available from Kabuto I'm buying one and it's going on the helmet !

I'm still loving the helmet and love it more with each ride. Everything moves smoothly and quietly on the helmet. All moving parts feel very solid and the helmet is very light and comfortable and the helmet looks really good for a modular!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 12:09:49 PM »
Hey folks, quick question: Can the 'pinlock insert' be left permanently? Is it optically correct? Never had one before. Always just cracked the shield open, but this helmet does NOT have that feature, hence it'll need the pinlock for winter. Would also appreciate installation tips for a perfect install. Should get the helmet today, and will try it for 2 hours at home and see what happens. By the way, when trying a GT-Air at the shop, my damn glasses fogged up even with the shield open and no breath guard, so that will be a problem, especially with shield closed. Will try one of those anti-fog sprays at Walgreens and see if that works. Thx.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »
Hey folks, quick question: Can the 'pinlock insert' be left permanently? Is it optically correct? Never had one before. Always just cracked the shield open, but this helmet does NOT have that feature, hence it'll need the pinlock for winter. Would also appreciate any installation tips for a perfect install. Should get the helmet today, and will try it for 2 hours at home and see what happens. By the way, when trying a GT-Air at the shop, my damn glasses fogged up, so that will be a problem without the shield cracked open. Will try one of those anti-fog sprays at Walgreens and see if that works. Thanks.

LOL ... when I first rode with the Ibuki I thought the Pinlock was "fogging up" only to find it was my glasses. My glasses never fogged up in the Shark which meant more air was entering the Shark while everything was closed. I put the Pinlock in on my Ibuki and it stays there. It is "optically correct" and was easy to install! The face shield needs to be "flexed" some to get the Pinlock in but once in it's staying there. You will need to remove it every-once-in-a-while for cleaning but that's it!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
Thanks Mike. But can't you clean it on the inside, like if it was not there? Isn't it sealed between the shield and pinlock, meaning only the surface facing the inside of the helmet would need to be cleaned if at all? I clean the inside of my visors every blue moon, and don't even need to remove it. Insert my hand thru the helmet to clean the medium to upper part. The lower part from the outside with the shield open halfway. Hope it doesn't have to be removed, to avoid damaging it. Thx.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
Thanks Mike. But can't you clean it on the inside, like if it was not there? Isn't it sealed between the shield and pinlock, meaning only the surface facing the inside of the helmet would need to be cleaned if at all? I clean the inside of my visors every blue moon, and don't even need to remove it. Insert my hand thru the helmet to clean the medium to upper part. The lower part from the outside with the shield open halfway. Hope it doesn't have to be removed, to avoid damaging it. Thx.

Yeah, typically you will clean the outside only so no need to remove the Pinlock. I'm only quoting what the Pinlock instructions said. I hope to never have to remove mine ... it's not like a lot touches the inside of my face shield!
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
Thanks buddy. Hey, just got the helmet. Another pinlock question: The package says 'for daytime use only', supposedly because it has 80% light transmission, and that does not meet federal standards. It should be perfectly fine for night riding, but want to ask you folks instead of assuming ;D. Finally, that means it has a slight tint to it, correct? That's great. I've been in a car with an 80% tint in the windshield, and couldn't notice the difference. After scrutinizing it, the difference is absolutely minute, so perfectly safe IMO. But want your comment on motorcycle application. Thanks.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 07:11:22 PM »
Thanks buddy. Hey, just got the helmet. Another pinlock question: The package says 'for daytime use only', supposedly because it has 80% light transmission, and that does not meet federal standards. It should be perfectly fine for night riding, but want to ask you folks instead of assuming ;D. Finally, that means it has a slight tint to it, correct? That's great. I've been in a car with an 80% tint in the windshield, and couldn't notice the difference. After scrutinizing it, the difference is absolutely minute, so perfectly safe IMO. But want your comment on motorcycle application. Thanks.

Yeah,  you'll be fine. The tint is so slight you don't notice it.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
Thanks buddy. Hey, just got the helmet. Another pinlock question: The package says 'for daytime use only', supposedly because it has 80% light transmission, and that does not meet federal standards.

My Air arrived yesterday and the pinlock says the same thing about daytime use only, which makes absolutely no sense to me.  It is almost completely clear.  No way is it blocking 20% of light!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
Thank you folks. I'm almost at 1-3/4 hours wearing the helmet in my house, and feel a bit of pressure in my entire forehead, but not outright pain yet. My ears are similar; no pain yet, but some discomfort. The cheekpads are tight, but less discomfort there. The level of discomfort (not too bad, and probably wouldn't notice it as much while riding... with the possible exception of the forehead, since wind might push against it) hasn't increased in the last hour, since I pushed the helmet down, and rearranging my ears over the cheekpads and allowing a bit of room from the head liner. Just have to be careful if I open my mouth, to inflate my cheeks with air before closing my mouth, or I'd bite my cheeks internally (makes sense?). I think the cheekpads are safer than way, correct? Or should I order the 31 (vs 35mm)? The change I'm on the fence is if I should order a thinner center pad (5mm vs 9mm), or actually ride longer with the helmet and see what happens? My concern is with the wind pushing the helmet against my forehead could cause pain quicker, no? By the way, I can push the helmet forward from the back a little, creating a small gap in my forehead. But I'm afraid it's tightest higher up, not at the edge of the liner. And yes, I'm wearing the helmet with the head liner I always use. My head measures (with liner) right at 23-7/16 with easy pressure, not tight at all. Size L is from 23-1/4 to 23-5/8, so I'm right smack at the middle of the spec. And this is the first time my head seems to be really close to the helmet's shape, since my previous helmet had been XL, to avoid severe pain in my forehead... but at the cost of too wide for safety everywhere else. Just want to hear some wise words of advice ;D. But I'm going to keep it, since I should be able to resolve any fit issues with a thinner center pad, or thinner cheek pads as well. A thinner center pad should also allow my head a bit more into the helmet, allowing more space for my ears and avoid any pain. But after pushing the helmet down, at least for now, seems to have worked. Guess I need to ride with it before assuming anything, since riding changes fit over static wearing, right? But how much? Forgot how a helmet is suppose to fit properly for safety. Helmet feels super safe, without too tight. If I move my head vigorously from side to side, the helmet hardly moves. My X-12 moves quite a bit more. Not to the point of rolling forward or something, but not a very safe feeling. Thank you in advance for your comments.

EDIT: removed the helmet at almost 2 hours, and forehead just a little red, but no visible signs of pressure points anywhere. Bottom of ears got better after pushing down helmet, and didn't cause any pain; just slight discomfort. And zero pressure points on the cheeks; they just felt a bit tight. Does that mean I should try to get used to it the way it is??? Thx.

EDIT2: Just read all the warning about the Pinlock, and having second thoughts about installing it: It can reflect light in a dangerous way, it can distort the view in certain riding positions, it can damage the shield if not removed frequently, it can break the pins if not installed correctly, requires flattening the screen (have fear of damaging it) to install and uninstall, and can deform the shield detents if the sun heats it up. Guess will try the helmet without it first, and see if just not locking the screen leaves enough of a gap to not fog the shield. I live in the freaking desert with very little humidity, so only in morning rides fogging would be an issue.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:30:04 PM by elp_jc »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
This is enough info about Pinlock to constitute another thread!  Anyway...

The person that sold me the Air helmet (and sells LOTS of these) said most people just use the pinlock all the time.  I asked about the installation, he said the shields are designed to be flattened out to install the pinlock and it is absolutely no big deal.

I could see where it might possibly create a slight amount of additional distortion, but I don't see how that would vary between night and day.  I am still skeptical about why it would matter (day/night), but either tonight or tomorrow night will be my first time riding with the new helmet, so maybe I will learn more soon.

As for low ambient humidity, that isn't the main cause of fogging... it is the humidity from your breath condensing on the cold shield.   And that happens with temperature differential between the inside and outside of the helmet (and especially when airflow is minimal, which is the case when it is cold and you close the vents).   Pinlock creates an air-gap insulated layer so that the inner shield is much warmer than the outside shield, so the humid air is less likely to condense.   Apparently the pinlock shield material is also somewhat "absorbent" so it can also "soak up" some amount of condensate that does form (and is also what makes it a bit tricky to clean properly).

Now for some speculative theory... In cases where you are riding close to the dew-temperature, the pinlock might *cause* more *external* fogging, since it could encourage the outside shield to remain at a lower wind-chill induced temperature than the internal shield (because of being insulated).  However, in my experience, this type of fogging is actually pretty rare.  (It is more common in cars where you are running the A/C which makes the windshield cold and thus outside vapor condenses on the outside... but those car things have wipers, too!)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 04:27:19 PM »
I suspect the reason the pinlock shield says daytime only is due to the occasional 'double vision' you'll get at night when looking at other vehicles' headlights, restaurant lights, etc ... more so off to the sides than straight ahead. Mine's an Arai; Doesn't bother me much, and it's not always noticeable, almost like it depends on the humidity ... maybe  :o

Edit: Yeah, I just googled it, and one guy appropriately called it a 'starburst effect'. That's a good term for it. Also "reflections". But most seem to say they get used to it and it doesn't bother them, and I agree.