Author Topic: New Helmet, New Experience  (Read 14373 times)

Offline mikeb2411

New Helmet, New Experience
« on: October 05, 2015, 03:44:49 PM »
I bought a new "Kabuto Ibuki" modular helmet on Friday after reading about it and listening to the "2015 helmet reviews" from Revzilla. The helmet I was wearing before this new helmet was the "Shark Evoline 3".

Prior to buying the Ibuki I was having all kinds of trouble trying to find a quiet, turbulent-free spot on my bike but really couldn't, no matter what I tried and I went through 7 different windscreens that proves I was looking for that place without success. I was trying windscreens because I was convinced there was no way the helmet could have been that bad. Well, I was wrong! To make things worse, I sold 4 of the best windscreens thinking they weren't doing their job when they weren't the problem!

I rode for the first time this weekend with my new Ibuki modular and first thing I noticed was how smooth the wind felt traveling around my helmet and how quiet it was! I was shocked and so surprised. I lowered my windscreen while doing 90 mph on the freeway and the wind was smooth...like butter! I couldn't do that with the Shark because it was way too rough and loud! I can barely hear the Delkevic slip-on with the "Ibuki" whereas I was hearing it all day with my Shark helmet on, even with my molded ear buds in (which I wear all the time). The Ibuki is more comfortable, smoother, quieter, lightweight (quite a bit lighter than my Shark) as it comes in at just over 3.5 lbs, and the venting...it vents so well! I couldn't feel the air entering the vents in the Shark which made that helmet hot to ride with. This new helmet vents so well! Opening the top and rear vents allow soooo much air to travel through the helmet making it much cooler to ride with! The padding in the helmet is "Cool Max" and is very comfortable! The fit of the helmet is great! There was a "hot spot" in the forehead of the Shark but the Ibuki's fit is "right on the money"!

This new helmet is amazingly quiet, smooth, comfortable and lightweight. I'm extremely satisfied with it and it has made riding the Connie so much more enjoyable because I no longer battle the roughness and noise of the wind like I did before! It is kind of a pisser because, like I said earlier, I sold off my windscreens and am sure that one of them would have been PERFECT with this helmet >:(!

If you're looking for a new helmet and want to go modular I would take a serious look at the Kabuto Ibuki...great helmet for $450!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: New Helmet, New Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »
I have found Austin to be too hot to wear a full helmet in the summer (please don't hate me) but its been getting cooler and I just started wearing my Shoei GT Air again. Forgot how quiet it is wearing that helmet instead of my Scorpion half helmet.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:16:03 PM »
So. Cal. can get hot too...95-105 degrees last week at times and has been like that over the last month at various times. I realize that it does get hotter in other places but that is still hot under a helmet...especially a "matte black Shark helmet" :o! So, wearing a "silver Ibuki" that vents way better will be a nice change :banana!

I realize that this "helmet post" may not be a big deal to some but the change was so drastic and so good for me that I had to post it!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
Mike... To help us compare the ergonomics of it, could you tell us your height, inseam, and approximate bar location?

Helmets are my holy grail on this bike, and I'm still searching. My HJC was smooth on my Duc, but is a blender on the 14. I'm 5'-11" with a 32" inseam, bars are about 2" up and 2" back (I think). Running a CalSci shorty.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
Mike... To help us compare the ergonomics of it, could you tell us your height, inseam, and approximate bar location?

Helmets are my holy grail on this bike, and I'm still searching. My HJC was smooth on my Duc, but is a blender on the 14. I'm 5'-11" with a 32" inseam, bars are about 2" up and 2" back (I think). Running a CalSci shorty.

Gladly! I am 6'1", 31" inseam, bars stock height and using a CeeBailey's EuroTour (tinted). Just so you know, I tried every windscreen and had every "bar riser" I could try (1.5 up, 2 up, 2 up and 2 back) and nothing worked! I believe had I been using the Ibuki I would have found it to be perfect behind the larger screens with risers. The helmet is a "touring" helmet and set up with the more "upright" riding position in mind. It vents better with your head up! The helmet is great...can't say enough about it. Remember, I came from a Shark Evoline and they ARE NOT known for smooth and quiet! But the Ibuki was rated very well and, from my short-lived experience with it, it definitely lives up to the reviews! Both Shoei and Schuberth didn't fit my head well...too many "hot spots". I couldn't be happier with the Ibuki!

Oh, one more thing, it's one of the only helmets (and I have looked around) that will offer a "mirrored" inner drop-down sun shield (it's currently in Japan but the rep said it will be available here). For those that ride straight into a brutal sun like I do EVERY DAY going to work, the mirrored inner sun shield will be AWESOME! Blue or Silver mirror.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:56:42 PM »
Thanks for taking the time and interest to post this Mike. I have an HJC modular and it's noisier than I want it to be. Maybe this will help when the time comes. Where'd you buy it if I might ask?
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »
Thanks for taking the time and interest to post this Mike. I have an HJC modular and it's noisier than I want it to be. Maybe this will help when the time comes. Where'd you buy it if I might ask?
Ron

Hi Ron, I bought it from "Honda of Hollywood" but Revzilla sells them as does RockyMountainATV...both offer free return shipping on your first order. Honda of Hollywood is 1.5 hours South of where I live but was definitely worth the drive down there. BTW, they say the fit of the Ibuki is very similar to the fit of the HJC so you should find the fit to be a good one!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
Thanks.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline 94gixxerod

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/kabuto-ibuki-helmet-review/

Check this out at webbikeworld. They have one for sale in their  "garage sale" place.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
My bell star carbon fiber is the lightest, best fitting helmet I have owned.  Very aerodynamic with a lot of vents.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rixtrix

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
My bell star carbon fiber is the lightest, best fitting helmet I have owned.  Very aerodynamic with a lot of vents.

I've got a Bell Star as well and agree on the fit and awesome venting, BUT it is THE NOISIEST helmet I have ever owned !

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
I like my Scorpion EXO-1000.  Fits great, very good safety ratings, good price, reasonably light, great customer support, nice features... but it is LOUD and doesn't vent all that well (and the shields scratch or delaminate too easily).  Might replace in a year or so but I don't care about modular (usually less safe, more expensive, and heavier), and I *love* my drop-down internal sun shield and that is a MUST HAVE on any future helmet!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »
I like my Scorpion EXO-1000.  Fits great, very good safety ratings, good price, reasonably light, great customer support, nice features... but it is LOUD and doesn't vent all that well (and the shields scratch or delaminate too easily).  Might replace in a year or so but I don't care about modular (usually less safe, more expensive, and heavier), and I *love* my drop-down internal sun shield and that is a MUST HAVE on any future helmet!!!

The Ibuki also has high safety ratings. The latch for the chin bar is robust and secures well. The helmet is on the quieter side and the venting is AMAZING! The helmet is light for a modular (3.5-ish lbs) and the Ibuki HAS a nice, smooth operating drop-down internal sun shield which will be offered in a "mirrored" version as well. Another thing I like about the helmet is the "wide view" it offers. They opened up the peripheral on this helmet so there is no restriction...unless you're a "chameleon" and can roll your eyes "backwards" ???!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 06:24:14 PM »
mikeb2411,

The smoothness and quiet you mention probably has something to do with the "Wake Stabilizer" feature...patented by Kabuto (OGK)...I have had a Kabuto Kamui for a while now, and couldn't believe the effect this feature has provided.  I, too, tried several windshields...looking for one that worked...settled on a Madstad...and then discovered the smoothness of a Kabuto...I have an Ibuki sitting in the garage just waiting for me to give it a test ride...

They also have a "Crash Replacement Program"...which I'm going to investigate regarding my Kamui...

...Pretty cool!
'02 C-10

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »
I've got a Bell Star as well and agree on the fit and awesome venting, BUT it is THE NOISIEST helmet I have ever owned !

Great venting usually comes with noise.  I wear contour foam earplugs so I don't notice it and can hear the music over the SENA to problem.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
mikeb2411,

The smoothness and quiet you mention probably has something to do with the "Wake Stabilizer" feature...patented by Kabuto (OGK)...I have had a Kabuto Kamui for a while now, and couldn't believe the effect this feature has provided.  I, too, tried several windshields...looking for one that worked...settled on a Madstad...and then discovered the smoothness of a Kabuto...I have an Ibuki sitting in the garage just waiting for me to give it a test ride...

They also have a "Crash Replacement Program"...which I'm going to investigate regarding my Kamui...

...Pretty cool!

CRocker, you can just call me Mike ;)...you are correct, that "Wake Stabilizer" is awesome and makes the wind so smooth around the helmet! I'm inquiring about the crash replacement too. I'm in contact with "Scott" from Kabuto so I'll ask and let you know what I find out from him.

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »
Great venting usually comes with noise.  I wear contour foam earplugs so I don't notice it and can hear the music over the SENA to problem.

You are correct...opening those vents is like rolling the windows down! I do wear molded ear buds so I can handle it but it would be noisy with the vents open and no ear protection!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Rixtrix

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
I have to wear earplugs for any length of time over 45mph. I've got the Scala rider and without ducking behind the windscreen conversations are tough on the highway.I've got a Shoei GT Air on order based on other's reviews of it-hope it does the trick for me!

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
My wife called me while riding home the other day. I had my Kabuto on and closed up but vents open. I have the SENA SMH10 on my helmet so the phone calls come through that. I rode in my normal posture, not trying to get behind the windscreen, and she said it sounded like I was sitting still and talking to her in a quiet, peaceful area. I told her I am sitting in a peaceful area ... ON MY BIKE, so hang up and let me ride in peace!!!

Moral of the story is that the helmet, even with the vents open, produces an environment that is quiet so communicating is not an issue.

One more thing, when I had my Shark helmet on and closed up all phone calls were answered by the wind noise (my phone calls can be answered by a loud noise through the mic ... like a loud "HELLO"). When she called the other day (with the Kabuto helmet on) I had to shout "HELLO" to activate the phone, wind noise was too low in the helmet for the microphone to pick up! I actually let it ring 5 times before answering because I wanted to see if the wind would activate/answer the phone. With the Shark on the phone was answered before the 2nd ring .. always before the 2nd ring!
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
I rode in my normal posture, not trying to get behind the windscreen, and she said it sounded like I was sitting still and talking to her in a quiet, peaceful area.
Well, to do a fair helmet noise comparison, YOU would have to do it on the same bike at the same speed. Even if we had the same windscreen/bars/seat/etc (doubtful), AND same overall height, torso/neck/arm height, and riding position, would still place our heads differently vs the windscreen, and noise levels would be different. Now, throw changes in height and bike components and it's impossible to compare helmet noise levels. Oh, and if you own one of those barn-door windscreens many folks here like, you could ride without a helmet and earplugs, and you'd still have a 'quiet, peaceful area' ;D.