Author Topic: Upgrading the Can  (Read 8313 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Upgrading the Can
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »
I've discovered that adding a "slip-on" exhaust is pretty straight forward and doesn't require any fuel mapping or any other changes. So, I am interested in the "Two Brothers M-5 Black Series"...anyone have experience with that pipe that can give me some feedback on it's performance (sound, power, fuel consumption, ect...)?

Thanks!

Mike
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:07:17 AM by mikeb2411 »
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline AlanS

Re: Upgrading the Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
Have one on my '12, installation was a breeze and looks way better than the potato launcher.
Don't Panic!
'08 Suzuki DR650SE Mootzimo
'09 Honda GL1800Navi/XM HAFACAR
'12 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »
Have one on my '12, installation was a breeze and looks way better than the potato launcher.

I also have the 2012...is your's the Candy Arabian Red as well?

How does it sound?

Also, where'd you get it and how much did you pay?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
I have the carbon fiber Two Bros M5 on my 09... amazing sound!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
One of the 1st things I did to my bike. I also had the mid pipe ceramic coated. I didn't like the way it was starting to turn colors. Also the carbon fiber one doesn't get hot. I can ride all day and it's still not too hot to touch.

Offline AlanS

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
It sounds great, with hard acceleration it is getting loud, but at cruising speeds you get more wind noise than exhaust.
Sorry, had a daylight shot somewhere but can't seem to find it.
So you get a night time garage shot.
As Far as getting hot, don't really know never checked, I do know the bottom of the bag never overly hot to the touch.

I also have the 2012...is your's the Candy Arabian Red as well?

How does it sound?

Also, where'd you get it and how much did you pay?
Don't Panic!

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
It sounds great, with hard acceleration it is getting loud, but at cruising speeds you get more wind noise than exhaust.
Sorry, had a daylight shot somewhere but can't seem to find it.
So you get a night time garage shot.
As Far as getting hot, don't really know never checked, I do know the bottom of the bag never overly hot to the touch.

Nice looking bike! Where'd you get you rims?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline AlanS

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:45:23 PM »
Thanks Mike,
I do like the bike handles great, I do recommend the Guhl reflash, if you are looking for a little more punch in the mid range.
Did mine over last Winter, really like it, well worth the money IMHO.
I found the rim stripes on ebay, cgd_graphics, there are 5 segments spaced around the wheel.
Not hard to put on, an hour a wheel or so.
They are supposed to be reflective, but not so much, which was kinda the thought when I put them on.
May pull them off this Winter and replace with true reflective rim tape.
Alan
Don't Panic!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:02:23 AM »
I've discovered that adding a "slip-on" exhaust

Muffler

is pretty straight forward and doesn't require any fuel mapping or any other changes.

That is because changing just the muffler on the Concours doesn't really change anything significant related to performance (the stock muffler is not overly restrictive).

So, I am interested in the "Two Brothers M-5 Black Series"...anyone have experience with that pipe that can give me some feedback on it's performance (sound, power, fuel consumption, ect...)?

One is not "upgrading the exhaust" by just replacing the muffler.  An exhaust upgrade (which actually does result in meaningful power gains) requires upgrading the exhaust system, which starts at the headers and ends at the muffler (silencer).  As such, a muffler-only replacement on most modern vehicles (including the Concours) is essentially a cosmetic-only change.  It changes (not necessarily improves) the look and sound of the bike (I, for one, am fine with the stock looks and I also would never do anything to make the bike louder).  It does certainly reduce some weight (the stock muffler is very heavy).  It won't give any noticeable power changes nor affect fuel consumption.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
Muffler

That is because changing just the muffler on the Concours doesn't really change anything significant related to performance (the stock muffler is not overly restrictive).

One is not "upgrading the exhaust" by just replacing the muffler.  An exhaust upgrade (which actually does result in meaningful power gains) requires upgrading the exhaust system, which starts at the headers and ends at the muffler (silencer).  As such, a muffler-only replacement on most modern vehicles (including the Concours) is essentially a cosmetic-only change.  It changes (not necessarily improves) the look and sound of the bike (I, for one, am fine with the stock looks and I also would never do anything to make the bike louder).  It does certainly reduce some weight (the stock muffler is very heavy).  It won't give any noticeable power changes nor affect fuel consumption.

What took you so long Maxtog? You're getting slow  ;)!

Just to make YOU happy I renamed the post. You are correct in that it isn't an "exhaust" upgrade BUT it is an upgrade...even if it is just the "can" and even if it is only cosmetic (although the claim is a little more HP and better flow...even if it is very minimal).

Slip-on's, mufflers, exhaust...it's all new to me! I've owned 4 bikes in my life time and they've always been stock. This is the first bike I've done ANYTHING to and now I can't stop  :o! I do want to add the slip-on but have NO idea how much louder it makes the bike. I do want the sound to be "deeper" but I don't want the bike to be a lot louder. I know they make inserts to reduce the db's so that is always an option if it is too loud.

The "upgrade" is only going to take place if I am able to convince the "warden" to let me buy it and that's going to be a tough sale at this point but I will try!

I can always go with "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"...yeah, right!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
What took you so long Maxtog? You're getting slow  ;)!

True- another year older and a bit slower

I've owned 4 bikes in my life time and they've always been stock. This is the first bike I've done ANYTHING to and now I can't stop  :o!

It is a sickness that seems to happen to many of us.  New seat, different horn, cages, better lights, etc, etc... where does it ever end?  We are powerless against the call of the farkling!

do want to add the slip-on but have NO idea how much louder it makes the bike. I do want the sound to be "deeper" but I don't want the bike to be a lot louder. I know they make inserts to reduce the db's so that is always an option if it is too loud.

Can't help with that.  I am in a tiny, tiny minority who like the stock muffler just the way it is!  A little big, but nice and quiet :)  Some people have posted YouTube links on other threads to recordings, but I am not sure that will help much either.  Probably the best thing would be to find someone who has something similar to what you want and go visit.... not that it would be easy.  But, you have to make sacrifices!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
Can't help with that.  I am in a tiny, tiny minority who like the stock muffler just the way it is!  A little big, but nice and quiet :)  Some people have posted YouTube links on other threads to recordings, but I am not sure that will help much either.  Probably the best thing would be to find someone who has something similar to what you want and go visit.... not that it would be easy.  But, you have to make sacrifices!

Yeah, I did the YouTube thing but you don't get the true sense of what it "really" sounds like. Like I said before, I have to get past the wife first...if that doesn't happen all of this won't matter!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline AlanS

Re: Upgrading the Can
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »
I must say that even at hard throttle it is quieter than most of the straight piped Harley I run across.
Don't Panic!

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
I must say that even at hard throttle it is quieter than most of the straight piped Harley I run across.

Easily!!! My brother's road king my freaken ears bleed!!! LOL

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
I see you avoid normal people.  You're in the right place.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
Easily!!! My brother's road king my freaken ears bleed!!! LOL

I went on a road trip with my brother and he was on a Road king...I lead the entire way!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
I've discovered that adding a "slip-on" exhaust is pretty straight forward and doesn't require any fuel mapping or any other changes. So, I am interested in the "Two Brothers M-5 Black Series"...anyone have experience with that pipe that can give me some feedback on it's performance (sound, power, fuel consumption, ect...)?

Thanks!

Mike

I've had a Vance & Hines CS-1 for 4 seasons and lovin' it. About 20 lbs. lighter and way better looking than the black rocket launcher.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
My brother... And His Road King. LOL

elp_jc

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 10:54:31 PM »
I can vouch for that too, but I went with the quietest of the 2 available dB inserts (P1X), and couldn't be happier. It's still significantly louder than stock, but now at the same level as the engine, which is the perfect compromise for me (like the mechanical engine noise as much as the exhaust). And it's not obnoxious at all, also meaning I'm not alerting the police a mile away I'm coming :o. Back-pressure should be very similar, since the insert hole is a hair smaller than the stock exhaust. If you want something in-between, then you have the P1 insert (hole is same size as stock exhaust). Or uncorked, but keep in mind changing inserts is no easy task (plus I'd be afraid of stripping the weak aluminum threads), so choose one of the 3 options and leave it alone. Hope this helps.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
My brother... And His Road King. LOL

My bike behind my brother's...the ONLY time I was behind it!

Mike
Ojai, CA