Author Topic: Most Miles on a C14  (Read 23358 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Most Miles on a C14
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 04:12:34 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
60k in 5 years on my 2010. But starting a month ago I'm now commuting 36 miles a day. I expect the mileage to pick up considerably.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
60k in 5 years on my 2010. But starting a month ago I'm now commuting 36 miles a day. I expect the mileage to pick up considerably.

I bought my 2012 Connie in May 31st of 2014 with 5k miles on it...I now have 31k on it! I figure I will put anywhere between 20k and 25k per year on mine. I have loved every mile. Well, almost every mile...some have been pretty uncomfortable but I'm working on the seat to see if I can solve that issue.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
Mine is certainly not the highest...but we are getting there.

Bought 12/1/2013 @ 53000

Currently @ 113100. 

3000/mile give or take.  And yes, it snows here.  Business, pleasure, commuting, etc. 
Ridden daily, weather permitting.  Plus a couple of long tours last year.  Maybe another this Fall.
I have a cargo van, but no car.  The *other* C14 (and the ZX12R and the Buell and...)
only get ridden here and there. 

Dat
Sax
Man

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
I am curious on the valve adjustments with high mileage bikes. Is everyone doing regular adjustments? I just hit 20k. does the bike need it? (of course the shop will tell me it does.) I'm looking for the real story.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
I am curious on the valve adjustments with high mileage bikes. Is everyone doing regular adjustments? I just hit 20k. does the bike need it? (of course the shop will tell me it does.) I'm looking for the real story.

The Europe manual says 50,000 km which is 31,000 miles. I did my first at 28,000 miles and all were more or less centered and I didn't change anything. Will be doing a second check this fall sometime. No idea why the Europe spec is over twice the US but I like the Europe spec better and will be using that.  ;)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »
The Europe manual says 50,000 km which is 31,000 miles. I did my first at 28,000 miles and all were more or less centered and I didn't change anything. Will be doing a second check this fall sometime. No idea why the Europe spec is over twice the US but I like the Europe spec better and will be using that.  ;)

Ummm, my Kawi dealer says "BIG SERVICE" every 15k miles and they check/adjust the valves during that service. Mine have never needed to adjusted but it's costing me $900 every 15k miles...kind of expensive for someone who rides EVERY DAY!!!

I'm curious to see how people answer "Flienlow's" question...I'd like to know how many of you are taking it in for service every 15k...would like to know how you other Connie owners are maintaining your bikes and at what intervals?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 04:55:53 PM »
Ummm, my Kawi dealer says "BIG SERVICE" every 15k miles and they check/adjust the valves during that service. Mine have never needed to adjusted but it's costing me $900 every 15k miles...kind of expensive for someone who rides EVERY DAY!!!

I'm curious to see how people answer "Flienlow's" question...I'd like to know how many of you are taking it in for service every 15k...would like to know how you other Connie owners are maintaining your bikes and at what intervals?

Yup, that's what the US manual says. No idea why the Europe manual is different. I am guessing it has more to do with emission laws than engineering. I only know mine with close to 60k has only been checked once, never been adjusted and still runs great. But I don't know jack and I may have a valve on the verge of failure as I speak. And the manual also says replace your iridium spark plugs every 7,500 miles.  :rotflmao:  Not bloody likely.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Yup, that's what the US manual says. No idea why the Europe manual is different. I am guessing it has more to do with emission laws than engineering. I only know mine with close to 60k has only been checked once, never been adjusted and still runs great. But I don't know jack and I may have a valve on the verge of failure as I speak. And the manual also says replace your iridium spark plugs every 7,500 miles.  :rotflmao:  Not bloody likely.

Hmmm...might have to think about skipping the service at 45k and doing it at 60k. I ride all the time but I'm not hard on the bike and they've "checked" my valves twice so far and they've been fine. It would be nice NOT to have to spend $900 every 15k miles! For me that works out to be $900 about every 9 months. So, the bike's costing me around $100 a month to ride, not counting fuel, tires or oil changes (which I do myself).

I'd like to know what EXACTLY they do during those 15k mile services. I'm sure they replace brake and clutch fluids and I know they check/adjust valves but what else happens? What are they doing beyond that...pulling on cables, checking if bolts are tight, spinning the wheels a few times to make sure they move...what?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 05:20:21 PM »
Hmmm...might have to think about skipping the service at 45k and doing it at 60k. I ride all the time but I'm not hard on the bike and they've "checked" my valves twice so far and they've been fine. It would be nice NOT to have to spend $900 every 15k miles! For me that works out to be $900 about every 9 months. So, the bike's costing me around $100 a month to ride, not counting fuel, tires or oil changes (which I do myself).

I'd like to know what EXACTLY they do during those 15k mile services. I'm sure they replace brake and clutch fluids and I know they check/adjust valves but what else happens? What are they doing beyond that...pulling on cables, checking if bolts are tight, spinning the wheels a few times to make sure they move...what?

There is a big difference between check and adjust. Check can be done without removing the timing chain and pulling the cams and without a shim kit. If all they did was check it should be hundreds of dollars less than adjust. Next time ask for a clearance map of all the valves and if they adjusted they should give you before and after shim thickness.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »

Despite popular opinion by non-bikers, motorcycles are not really a cheap mode of transportation.

I'm curious to see how people answer "Flienlow's" question...

Well, we have had dozens of threads about valve lash checking intervals already...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »

Well, we have had dozens of threads about valve lash checking intervals already...

Sorry, I am a shameless (and Lazy ) thread hijacker. ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »
Valves, mine have been checked 3 times in 108,000 miles. Don't plan on them being checked ever again.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 08:20:35 AM »
Valves, mine have been checked 3 times in 108,000 miles. Don't plan on them being checked ever again.

Is it safe to assume you've "skipped" some of your 15k mile service intervals?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »

Did they ever have to be adjusted?

Offline JerBear

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »
Did they ever have to be adjusted?

I waited until 27K to adjust mine.  Too much of a job to do just because they say so.  Two intake valves were out of tolerance and all of them were on the tight end of the range. All of them were adjusted to mid-range or to the loose end (No Juvenile comments  ;D )  and I won't touch it again until 60K because it is my bike and I'll pay the price if needed.  I just don't think it is as big an issue as the booki says it is.  Even the two that were out of the range were close, no where near tight.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline TMAX

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 04:22:46 PM »
so Lather has the most miles at 140000miles.

anybody else?

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »
so Lather has the most miles at 140000miles.

anybody else?

And we get "roped" back in ;)
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »
Such is life in the Forum..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
Such is life in the Forum..

Haha...I knew after the 2nd post regarding valves that it was going to happen. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner :o!
Mike
Ojai, CA