Author Topic: Most Miles on a C14  (Read 23129 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Most Miles on a C14
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
But if we only spoke of the subject at hand and did not interject our various opinions and humor, what indeed would be the point?  I may as well just kick back and drink....wait a minute.  I do that already.  :doh:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
I plan on doing the first valve adjustment this winter.  hit 73,500 today.
I bought it in November with 71K and the original owner swore they had never been checked or set. Power commander, pipe, flies out. He was keeping a Hot rodded hayabusa because he said the Connie would never break 200MPH but he thought the busa might. (bucket list)
I,m not sure that's what the manual recommends.....
08B 73.5K miles

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »
I plan on doing the first valve adjustment this winter.  hit 73,500 today.
I bought it in November with 71K and the original owner swore they had never been checked or set. Power commander, pipe, flies out. He was keeping a Hot rodded hayabusa because he said the Connie would never break 200MPH but he thought the busa might. (bucket list)
I,m not sure that's what the manual recommends.....
Is that the last item on his list?

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »
Despite popular opinion by non-bikers, motorcycles are not really a cheap mode of transportation.

Yup.  Unless someone gets on a good run with a ninja 250 bought used with a new chain and tires....

Is that the last item on his list?

I imagine odds are likely leaning in that direction. 

Just got mine used - returned from trip with mid 20's K.  Like to see the longevity examples out there.  Gonna need to keep this bike a while.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 10:46:21 PM »
so Lather has the most miles at 140000miles.

anybody else?
143,500 now. Anybody else? Am I the champ? And I have 3 other bikes I share my time with. :banana
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
143,500 now. Anybody else? Am I the champ? And I have 3 other bikes I share my time with. :banana

Very similar readings, but mine's in km/h! You're the champ mate!  ;D

Offline TMAX

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »

good to know. keep those miles going, id like to do them same and more

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
Hellbender,

There is no mystery as to what Kawasaki dealers do for each service.  It is right in the manual.  Assuming, of course, that they are actually DOING all of those things. 

And yes, checking the valve clearances is quite a bit easier than actually pulling the cams and swopping out the shims.  Checking is only a chore because of all of the ancillary bits that have to come off to expose the engine (easy now...).  Pulling the cams is real mechanic stuff, or installing them is at least.  My local dealer NEVER gets their grubby paws on mine. 

Got the bike with a "recent" valve adjustment according to the seller.  It had 53,000 miles and ran fine, so maybe Kawasaki in Houston did a great job.  With no list of clearances, I could not verify that they were even measured.  AND, with no map of the actual shim sizes, I wonder if they ever had the cams out.  I checked them at about 80,000 miles, and replaced/juggled all of the exhausts.  Every one was too tight or at least on the tight end of the tolerance.  Every intake was within spec, so I left the intake cam in.  Sometime this Fall, I will check again.  We will be at 125,000-130,000 by then.  I expect to have both cams out. 

Adjusting the valves, along with most of the maintenance, is CHEAP if you do it yourself...
TIRES are a different story entirely. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »
Adjusting the valves, along with most of the maintenance, is CHEAP if you do it yourself...
TIRES are a different story entirely.

It's one of those things I've never done. I wouldn't mind doing it but would definitely need some guidance...any suggestions? I would love to save the $900-$1100 it costs to have the shop do it! I love "tinkering" and working on the bike but performing that service on my own is above me at the moment.

Is there anything out there that explains how to work on the bike, any instruction videos or "How-To" videos or anything like that?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
It's one of those things I've never done. I wouldn't mind doing it but would definitely need some guidance...any suggestions? I would love to save the $900-$1100 it costs to have the shop do it! I love "tinkering" and working on the bike but performing that service on my own is above me at the moment.

Is there anything out there that explains how to work on the bike, any instruction videos or "How-To" videos or anything like that?
http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

There's a disclaimer, "FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY"...what's that all about? What kind of videos ARE those ?????
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Pretty good entertainment, of the technical variety, if you ask me.  Very good vids.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »
Pretty good entertainment, of the technical variety, if you ask me.  Very good vids.

Good enough to get someone through a 15k mile service?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »

Using only a hammer and pliers vicegrips!
08B 73.5K miles

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »

Yes.  Well worth the money.  They occasionally come up for sale here.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »
Very thorough and straight forward presentation, with plenty of tips you won't find in the service manual. And a style that is not boring. I used them to do valve adjustment and throttle body sync with good success.

Offline whatcom

• Bellingham, WA
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
I watched the video, was more intimidated before than during and after, not that bad, took my time with lots of breaks over a weekend including running to the dealer for shims, but for the money saved, well worth it. Following the service manual would of worked too.
At 40,000 for the first check, I did switch around and buy new shims, changed a lot only to get on the loose side so I could wait longer for next time.
I measured in thousands like most people do, maybe if I measured in millimeters like the specs say, they would probably all been in tolerance, but hey, while you have it all apart!
2013 ZX14r white abs no-flies, scottoiler
2012  C14 Arabian red
Full AreaP ZX14 TB's PCV with dyno map for TB's Rostra CC, W&S remote, A&R HID, Kawasaki trunk with SW-Motech rack, 08/09 storage compartment