Author Topic: I'm Scared to lean now...  (Read 45632 times)

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
Re: I'm Scared to lean now...
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2015, 06:18:53 PM »
Ten years ago I laid my Honda 919 down in order to keep from being a hood ornament. ....

Intentionally crashing to avoid a crash is usually a terrible idea. If you had taken the time you spent "laying it down" and used it for maximum braking and/or swerving, I wonder if your outcome would be different?

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
I think the question is how many has he avoided using his method.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2015, 03:41:24 AM »
I think the question is how many has he avoided using his method.
:)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2015, 04:39:18 AM »
You know, just thinking out loud here, light hearted criticisms and probing (easy boys) questions have always been encouraged.  Going after someone because of them mentioning a past deed is not  something I readily support.  We're a family here, let's keep it that way, please. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2015, 04:58:25 AM »
I don't think there was any ill intent. A bit of humor with a bit of truth. I got a grin because I could relate to a similar situation.

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2015, 07:01:34 AM »
yeah it's not easy to say sometimes but no laydowns, how to counter steer, really stopping your bike and making these second nature are fair forum discussions and need to be continually refreshed. 
Then we should might ask ourselves why fragile old guys that "ride judiciously" are riding C14s? ??? ??? Gary that just sold mine The connie was just too much bike for the midwest. The K1200 is way too big (heavy). and am now thinking R1100RT may be next. Basically I would like a 500 pound all the bells 1 person touring bike.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Intentionally crashing to avoid a crash is usually a terrible idea. If you had taken the time you spent "laying it down" and used it for maximum braking and/or swerving, I wonder if your outcome would be different?

I have no problem answering this question. Thin-skinned I am not.

I approached the intersection at about 35, and accelerating a bit. Facing me in a left-turn lane was Daddy's little girl. On her right were cars, one after another, making a right turn. She pulled out just as I hit the intersection. On my right and 90 degrees was a car making a left turn, essentially blocking my (desired) escape route. In short, I had no where to go, which is where the "idiot" bell goes off in my own head.

Rather than do a high side after a full on collision, I laid the bike down and avoided bouncing. I don't bounce real well.

Check my earlier statement in which I said, in part:

In retrospect, I wasn't focused on the intersection and her and I didn't play the "What if?" game at that time -- and I paid the price.

Attended a defensive riding course in 2003, during which I learned a ton -- mostly defensive measures, which I momentarily forgot in the incident above.

Since I'm new here, I'll say that i've been riding since I was 12 - minibikes, and then a 1965 Honda S-90, which is where I developed some measure of skill. I would not ever characterize my skill set as being much beyond "defensively competent." Never was much of a hotdogger. Just ain't wired that way. This C14 I now have is my third new bike, having bought my first new bike in 1982.

You can better believe I've made mistakes in my riding, just as I'm quite sure others reading this post can nod their heads (if they're being honest with themselves) and admit the same thing.

I'm prepared to keep learning, which is, I think, what the rational man does. To stop learning means to die, and I ain't dead yet.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2015, 01:18:25 PM »
yeah it's not easy to say sometimes but no laydowns, how to counter steer, really stopping your bike and making these second nature are fair forum discussions and need to be continually refreshed. 
Then we should might ask ourselves why fragile old guys that "ride judiciously" are riding C14s? ??? ??? Gary that just sold mine The connie was just too much bike for the midwest. The K1200 is way too big (heavy). and am now thinking R1100RT may be next. Basically I would like a 500 pound all the bells 1 person touring bike.

This "fragile old guy" (  :rotflmao: ) bought the C14 because it's a "sport-tourer." I like the touring part of that expression. And who knows? Maybe I'll see some curves in my future besides those of Mrs. E.

Gotta go to Arkansas for those, unfortunately...
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
I have no problem answering this question. Thin-skinned I am not.

I approached the intersection at about 35, and accelerating a bit. Facing me in a left-turn lane was Daddy's little girl. On her right were cars, one after another, making a right turn. She pulled out just as I hit the intersection. On my right and 90 degrees was a car making a left turn, essentially blocking my (desired) escape route. In short, I had no where to go, which is where the "idiot" bell goes off in my own head.

Rather than do a high side after a full on collision, I laid the bike down and avoided bouncing. I don't bounce real well.

Check my earlier statement in which I said, in part:

Attended a defensive riding course in 2003, during which I learned a ton -- mostly defensive measures, which I momentarily forgot in the incident above.

Since I'm new here, I'll say that i've been riding since I was 12 - minibikes, and then a 1965 Honda S-90, which is where I developed some measure of skill. I would not ever characterize my skill set as being much beyond "defensively competent." Never was much of a hotdogger. Just ain't wired that way. This C14 I now have is my third new bike, having bought my first new bike in 1982.

You can better believe I've made mistakes in my riding, just as I'm quite sure others reading this post can nod their heads (if they're being honest with themselves) and admit the same thing.

I'm prepared to keep learning, which is, I think, what the rational man does. To stop learning means to die, and I ain't dead yet.

Amen to "thick skin" Eupher! I have it too and have needed it on the forums ::)

So, in response to your incident, I have learned from my cop buddy that you NEVER ride next to anyone for any length of time if you can help it. With that in mind I ALWAYS move from car-to-car when traveling and try to stay in "open" areas if I can.

You can do this all day long but when it comes down to it ... Intersection SUCK! You (we) are always at the mercy of the cager who doesn't pay attention.

So, as I ride every day I try and make sure that ,when approaching intersections, I am at a speed that will allow me to maneuver/brake to safety and that I don't have someone blocking my escape route. I create my own room using the incredible power of the C14 (meaning I get to open spots before the intersection and leave the cagers behind me) and enter intersections with room to spare.

Now, I have definitely made mistakes and fortunately they haven't cost me anything but a "kick in the butt" and some embarrassment for not doing what I know I should have done. Going down wouldn't be fun and I have no desire or plan to ever do it ... it's not on my list of "todo's"!

This was posted in love BTW!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
Amen to "thick skin" Eupher! I have it too and have needed it on the forums ::)

So, in response to your incident, I have learned from my cop buddy that you NEVER ride next to anyone for any length of time if you can help it. With that in mind I ALWAYS move from car-to-car when traveling and try to stay in "open" areas if I can.

You can do this all day long but when it comes down to it ... Intersection SUCK! You (we) are always at the mercy of the cager who doesn't pay attention.

So, as I ride every day I try and make sure that ,when approaching intersections, I am at a speed that will allow me to maneuver/brake to safety and that I don't have someone blocking my escape route. I create my own room using the incredible power of the C14 (meaning I get to open spots before the intersection and leave the cagers behind me) and enter intersections with room to spare.

Now, I have definitely made mistakes and fortunately they haven't cost me anything but a "kick in the butt" and some embarrassment for not doing what I know I should have done. Going down wouldn't be fun and I have no desire or plan to ever do it ... it's not on my list of "todo's"!

This was posted in love BTW!

Mike

Understood, and thanks.  :chugbeer:

It may (and does) look stupid, but especially at dawn or dusk when approaching somebody who's waiting to pull out, I'll wave. I ALWAYS ride with two fingers on my front brake, and I've practiced braking with front brake alone, just to gauge how much is too much.

Being seen is probably the biggest thing, just to cut through the fog and the cell phone usage that a lot of cagers find "necessary."  ::)
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
Understood, and thanks.  :chugbeer:

It may (and does) look stupid, but especially at dawn or dusk when approaching somebody who's waiting to pull out, I'll wave. I ALWAYS ride with two fingers on my front brake, and I've practiced braking with front brake alone, just to gauge how much is too much.

Being seen is probably the biggest thing, just to cut through the fog and the cell phone usage that a lot of cagers find "necessary."  ::)

Yep, which is why I loaded up the front of my bike with LED's and HID's ... to make me as bright and noticeable as possible and then I STILL ride like they don't see me.

I know it's not the "cure all" but I have had people comment on how they could see me coming a mile away!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
IMHO the worst are the lane changers that don't look! I've come across a lot of those lately ... you know who I'm talking about, the cager that moves to the next lane and THEN looks to see if someone's there! That's the craziest and scariest for me and where I take the most caution because I DEFINITELY don't want to get "bumped" into oncoming traffic by someone who's "sleep-driving"!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
I just had one do it to me yesterday! I knew she was going to move though ... just knew it! I could see her climbing up the car in front of her but what's funny is that she had all day to move over but waited until I was going by her. I slowed and let her panic as she realized she was cutting me off and then gave her the "evil eye"!

I spent 12 years in Law Enforcement and I attribute pushing the black-and-white everyday for years to the ability to read drivers and get a good feel to what they're going to do by the way they drive! Plus, I learned during those years that there are more idiots behind the wheel than not so I don't take anything for granted and treat every car like an idiot is behind the wheel!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gggGary

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
There's a reason they call it the blind spot.  Might as well be the Bermuda Triangle, if you spend much time there you will be "lost". Not only might the car take your lane but on surface streets you have no visibility of  cross traffic from the right when you are in that spot.  Yes, listen to your inner "that car's out to get me" voice.  Look under trucks.    It's not enough to know the right thing to do, you need to stay in constant practice so you DO the right thing when it's needed.

This may cause a bit of discussion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUWViatY_LA
08B 73.5K miles

Offline gggGary

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »
Just had a bud on a Connie bite it at an intersection this summer. In the blind spot, the light went yellow, cross traffic saw the blind spot car slowing so turned right before the light changed,but used "both lanes". My bud "beat the yellow" then with oncoming traffic and the right turner swinging front of him had nowhere to go. He had great front brakes just installed, but hadn't done a "panic stop" test series. Grabbed too much brake, the wheel skidded and down he went. He slid in front of the bike, it just bumped into him after he stopped, He walked away, the bike? not so much. He never hit anything else, had he been current on his braking feel it would have been a finger salute moment, nothing more.  There was the usual chain of events leading to the accident. Changing any one of the links would have broken the chain, no accident.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
IMHO the worst are the lane changers that don't look! I've come across a lot of those lately ... you know who I'm talking about, the cager that moves to the next lane and THEN looks to see if someone's there! That's the craziest and scariest for me and where I take the most caution because I DEFINITELY don't want to get "bumped" into oncoming traffic by someone who's "sleep-driving"!

Most of us bellyache about the drivers that have completely forgotten what that little stalk on the left side of their steering column is used for, but I have NEVER seen so many idjits as there are here in Miss-sippi.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »
Most of us bellyache about the drivers that have completely forgotten what that little stalk on the left side of their steering column is used for, but I have NEVER seen so many idjits as there are here in Miss-sippi.

Come to California ::)!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2015, 02:37:16 PM »
Come to California ::)!

You guys win by default, just by sheer volume of numbers.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
You guys win by default, just by sheer volume of numbers.

Tell me about it!! There are times I want to stop and hug the people that DO use their turn signal. Seeing someone out here using a turn signal is like seeing a Unicorn ... maybe not that bad but close!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »
People around here signal their turn after they have made the move or are halfway into it.  Strange.  If you are observant you can read the signals and know when someone is going to move over and most of them move so slowly you have plenty of time to blast them with your horn so they panic and almost go off the road the other way, while you motor on with a smile. 

I use my high beam 'flash to pass' switch quite often when I am approaching a car waiting to enter the road ahead of me.  A couple of quick flashes seems to get their attention.