Author Topic: I'm Scared to lean now...  (Read 45585 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: I'm Scared to lean now...
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »
Guys and girls,  I don't know about yours but my 2012 Connie can handle a handful of brakes and is very controllable while doing it.  My cop buddy had me on the course a while ago doing that exact drill,  ride into a cone pattern at 40-45 mph and as soon as you enter you grab as much brake as you can and try to stop before reaching the other end,  which isn't that far.

I'm here to tell you that at 45 mph those brakes work great and don't lock up. I grabbed front and back as hard as I could and the bike stopped and it stopped fast! There were no wobbles,  slides,  skids, no fear of the rear wheel lifting,  nothing but seriously fast stopping power!

The drill was great because I left with more confidence in what the bike can do in that situation. My desire is to stay on the bike always and I will do all I can to make sure that happens.

On another note,  and I'm sure I'll "open a can"  here, my same cop buddy said their guys are getting new gear because they have gone and done a lot of research in gear and how safe it is. They currently use Tourmaster (as do I) and they have discovered that Tourmaster and  a lot of  jackets and pants that we buy in that class of gear pretty much suck when it hits pavement. I heard the talk last night from him and it does scare a person when you hear the stories. He claims that wearing the gear I currently wear is like wearing nothing. I disagreed and said it's better than nothing but what he did say was that in a sliding crash the material in those jackets tends  to "melt" into your skin! Thoughts...Maxtog ;)?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »
Open away..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
Everybody has heard of gear melting. What we didn’t hear was what's the new gear?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
You mean my jeans and Hein Gericke aren't the latest?  C'mon guys, I just started wearing Tourmaster pants this year!   
08B 73.5K miles

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
LOL ... the stuff the local "fuzz" is getting is here http://www.motoport.com/

I told him it's not the "prettiest" stuff I've seen and it is expensive. He said "it looks much better in person" and it's supposed to be really effective when protecting you in a crash (God forbid) and the mesh seems to be the ticket because they come with a "zip-in" liner that keeps you toasty in the cold. Supposedly it's much, much stronger and has much better "tear" resistance than the jackets we (I) typically buy. Reports are, from paramedics, that the stuff is difficult to cut off when they need to remove it from a crash victim nad that the jackets hold up very well when they are sliding on the pavement.

Expensive doesn't do well here in my house so I told my buddy (he happens to be my best friend for the last 30 years) to call my wife and if he can convince her to let me buy one of those jackets that drinks are me (even though I don't drink but you get the picture) :chugbeer:

When it comes to protection I'd like to think function outweighs "pretty" ... you guys with me on that one :thumbs:?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »
Looks good to me. I think I will make this stuff my next outfit. Thanks for link.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
Looks good to me. I think I will make this stuff my next outfit. Thanks for link.

My pleasure
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
I'm here to tell you that at 45 mph those brakes work great and don't lock up. I grabbed front and back as hard as I could and the bike stopped and it stopped fast! There were no wobbles,  slides,  skids, no fear of the rear wheel lifting,  nothing but seriously fast stopping power!

The drill was great because I left with more confidence in what the bike can do in that situation. My desire is to stay on the bike always and I will do all I can to make sure that happens.

Just keep in mind that was straight-line braking on perfect, dry pavement.  Things are often not that perfect.  Practice is good, though.  The hardest thing to do is dealing with avoidance and slowing in a corner.... and that is often what wipes people the most.  Least visibility, most likely place to have unnoticed debris or sand/leaves, bicycle, deer, whatever.

He claims that wearing the gear I currently wear is like wearing nothing. I disagreed and said it's better than nothing but what he did say was that in a sliding crash the material in those jackets tends  to "melt" into your skin! Thoughts...Maxtog ;)?

I agree with you, not them.  The Tourmaster might be nylon, and yes, it will melt under high friction.  But it is *armored* in the places that matter the most- the back, the shoulders, the elbows.  That armor not only protects from impact, but it also protects from skidding and also absorbs energy (all while isolation from the outer nylon layers).  Nothing is black-and-white, just shades of grey.  My favorite answer to such questions is "it depends" :)

I am sure that a super-expense, very heavy, non-water resistant, hard-to-maintain armored leather jacket would be better overall protection, but it isn't necessarily a realistic option for everyone (for the first four adjectives I listed).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »
LOL ... the stuff the local "fuzz" is getting is here http://www.motoport.com/

I told him it's not the "prettiest" stuff I've seen and it is expensive. He said "it looks much better in person" and it's supposed to be really effective when protecting you in a crash (God forbid) and the mesh seems to be the ticket because they come with a "zip-in" liner that keeps you toasty in the cold. Supposedly it's much, much stronger and has much better "tear" resistance than the jackets we (I) typically buy. Reports are, from paramedics, that the stuff is difficult to cut off when they need to remove it from a crash victim nad that the jackets hold up very well when they are sliding on the pavement.

Expensive doesn't do well here in my house so I told my buddy (he happens to be my best friend for the last 30 years) to call my wife and if he can convince her to let me buy one of those jackets that drinks are me (even though I don't drink but you get the picture) :chugbeer:

When it comes to protection I'd like to think function outweighs "pretty" ... you guys with me on that one :thumbs:?

P/whipped- tell your wife that if you fall off without proper protection, she will probably have to find a new husband, as you will be too messed up- (only tell her this if you are secure in your relationship).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2015, 10:52:57 AM »
P/whipped- tell your wife that if you fall off without proper protection, she will probably have to find a new husband, as you will be too messed up- (only tell her this if you are secure in your relationship).

Lololololol...I was wondering when you'd chime in about that!

I am secure in my marriage,  very secure, but trying to convince someone who doesn't understand the difference or doesn't care to learn what the difference is seems an impossible task at times!

Guys,  we're talking about a woman here,  you know...those things that are completely unreasonable, unrealistic,  irrational, and think completely opposite of us guys who know everything, are completely rational, reasonable, and Realistic in the things we know and what we know we need! 
Mike
Ojai, CA

sailor_chic

« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »

I am secure in my marriage,  very secure, but trying to convince someone who doesn't understand the difference or doesn't care to learn what the difference is seems an impossible task at times!

Guys, we're talking about a woman here,  you know...those things that are completely unreasonable, unrealistic,  irrational, and think completely opposite of us guys who know everything, are completely rational, reasonable, and Realistic in the things we know and what we know we need! 

Ouch!

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
Have to agree with Sailor Chic on the ouch.  That was a bit harsh.  Then again WW1 (wicked wife 1) fit the description.  WW2 (wonderful wife 2) is not at all like that, so I am blessed.  Plus she loves to ride!

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »
In my humble opinion you have to lots of confidence to ride a motorcycle on highways, inner city,
and rural areas, with each one presenting it's own challenges. If you lose your edge it might be
best to sit it out until you get it back. Riding a motorcycle requires cat like reflexes and nerves of steel
to watch out for moving objects coming at you from all directions with the power to take you out
or injure you. . .

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
In my humble opinion you have to lots of confidence to ride a motorcycle on highways, inner city,
and rural areas, with each one presenting it's own challenges. If you lose your edge it might be
best to sit it out until you get it back.
Riding a motorcycle requires cat like reflexes and nerves of steel
to watch out for moving objects coming at you from all directions with the power to take you out
or injure you. . .

You can't get the edge back unless you're actually sharpening the knife.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
best to sit it out until you get it back. Riding a motorcycle requires cat like reflexes and nerves of steel
or injure you. . .

Most people have cat like reflexes, if you're talking about my lazy cat who lays around all day.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

Guys,  we're talking about a woman here,  you know...those things that are completely unreasonable, unrealistic,  irrational, and think completely opposite of us guys who know everything, are completely rational, reasonable, and Realistic in the things we know and what we know we need!

Mikeb2411, I couldn't resist and you are a good sport. Your description also fits my ex-wife unless it's something that she 'needs' like jewelry, shoes, botox, makeup...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
You can't get the edge back unless you're actually sharpening the knife.

I *really* like that phrase
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Most people have cat like reflexes, if you're talking about my lazy cat who lays around all day.

If you ride 55 mph, cat like reflexes not needed, but if you are cutting lanes at 80 mph. . .

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
If you ride 55 mph, cat like reflexes not needed, but if you are cutting lanes at 80 mph. . .

I'm like Spiderman on my bike. You have to have "Spidey senses" here in So. Cal. You can't ride 55 on the freeways here or you'll get taken out from behind. You have to develop "Spidey senses" and then get on it and "trust the force Luke" ;)
Mike
Ojai, CA