Author Topic: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.  (Read 25881 times)

Offline Concours144545

2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
I did a search and could not find any information. My 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 Is getting throttle hang when I go to take off quick. If I idle and flip the throttle it comes right back no sticking. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help on this. 

Offline jwh20

Re: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
Check the usual suspects.  Make sure the throttle cables are not bending too sharply or getting pinched.  You might get some cable lube (I prefer the dry graphite type) and lube the cables.  There some be some crud in the throttle plate assy or the problem could be in the throttle grip itself.

Something is keeping the return spring from pulling the throttle all the way closed.

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
Check the usual suspects.  Make sure the throttle cables are not bending too sharply or getting pinched.  You might get some cable lube (I prefer the dry graphite type) and lube the cables.  There some be some crud in the throttle plate assy or the problem could be in the throttle grip itself.

Something is keeping the return spring from pulling the throttle all the way closed.

This bike has only 3000 miles on it.  It only does it if I take off 3/4 throttle shifting through the gears. It will not do it reving it or driving slow.  Throttle will return every time.  I'm confused as it makes no sense. 

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »
The throttle system inc. cables, return spring, etc., should work the same with the engine off as with it on.  Play with it slowly with the engine off to see if you can detect a point where it's hanging up.  Sounds like that may be around 3/4 throttle since revving or slow speed is not likely to require more than 1/2 throttle.
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:31:11 PM »
The throttle system inc. cables, return spring, etc., should work the same with the engine off as with it on.  Play with it slowly with the engine off to see if you can detect a point where it's hanging up.  Sounds like that may be around 3/4 throttle since revving or slow speed is not likely to require more than 1/2 throttle.

I'll try it tomorrow and post back.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 03:29:31 AM »
You may want to keep trying the throttle with the engine off but move the bars throughout their whole travel range while the bike is on the center stand.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 06:03:30 AM »
I have read in the past that the throttle sleeve slightly binds on the handle bar. The remedy for this is to lightly sand the aluminum bar end to make it clean. Then take white teflon tape and make thin, slightly overlapping wraps to completely cover the bar end.  This will give the throttle sleeve a friction free surface to rotate on.
I have not perfirmed this on my bike YET.  But the first sign of throttle errors, and I will be doing this mod.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:18:41 AM by sailor_chic »

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 06:50:49 AM »
I have read in the past that the throttle sleeve slightly binds on the handle bar. The remedy for this is to lightly sand the aluminum bar end to make it clean. Then take white tenon tape and make thin, slightly overlapping wraps to completely cover the bar end.  This will give the throttle sleeve a friction free surface to rotate on.
I have not perfirmed this on my bike YET.  But the first sign of throttle errors, and I will be doing this mod.

What is tenon tape? Never heard of it.

sailor_chic

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
Typo...or auto correct on my phone. Teflon tape

elp_jc

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
Just to be clear on your issue, do you actually feel the throttle stuck in your hand, and unable to close it when shifting gears? As you know, our bike has a cable throttle with TWO cables, one for opening the throttle, and the other to close it. If you can't close it physically, you have a serious issue, and no way it'd be the throttle sleeve. Something must be binding at the linkage in the throttle bodies. Now, if you don't feel a physical bind in your hand, then it could be how you're shifting. Another key question: Are you sure this wasn't happening before, and now it does? If your bike just started doing this, then you know for sure there's something wrong somewhere. That being the case, prompts the question what was done to the bike prior to that happening: Any services, especially near there, like throttle synch, etc? Any mods, like cruise control, or other work around there? Have you lost a tool and don't know where it is ;D? If nothing has been done to the bike and it's the first time you shift that high, I'd offer an experienced Connie rider to ride your bike and see if it's you or the bike. When accelerating hard, it's hard to release the throttle since it requires moving your hand forward, when you're being pushed backward. It happens. Same with inadvertently up-shifting early (with a 'bang') if you stick your boot under the shift lever the first few launches. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Just to be clear on your issue, do you actually feel the throttle stuck in your hand, and unable to close it when shifting gears? As you know, our bike has a cable throttle with TWO cables, one for opening the throttle, and the other to close it. If you can't close it physically, you have a serious issue, and no way it'd be the throttle sleeve. Something must be binding at the linkage in the throttle bodies. Now, if you don't feel a physical bind in your hand, then it could be how you're shifting. Another key question: Are you sure this wasn't happening before, and now it does? If your bike just started doing this, then you know for sure there's something wrong somewhere. That being the case, prompts the question what was done to the bike prior to that happening: Any services, especially near there, like throttle synch, etc? Any mods, like cruise control, or other work around there? Have you lost a tool and don't know where it is ;D? If nothing has been done to the bike and it's the first time you shift that high, I'd offer an experienced Connie rider to ride your bike and see if it's you or the bike. When accelerating hard, it's hard to release the throttle since it requires moving your hand forward, when you're being pushed backward. It happens. Same with inadvertently up-shifting early (with a 'bang') if you stick your boot under the shift lever the first few launches. Good luck, and keep us posted.

This only happens under 3/4 throttle moving. There is no binding revving it or shut off.  I can close it by twisting the throttle closed. It's definitely only when driving under those conditions. I've owned several different motorcycles and never experienced this before especially when it's only go 3000 miles on it. Only mods I've done was a Guhls flash and a CS1 slip on.  Never did this before either as it just started.  Something is causing it to stick under 3/4 throttle moving.  This makes no sense either.  Btw it doesn't matter if I'm driving straight or turning still does it. 

Offline jwh20

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »
The C14 is not a "fly-by-wire" throttle as some other bikes and cars are, so it must be a mechanical problem.  If the throttle itself is not sticking there could be an issue with an air leak in the intake fooling the ECU, an issue with the FI ECU, an issue with the throttle bodies, the TPS (throttle position sensor), or something similar.  But I'm a strong believer in ruling out the most likely issues first and the mechanical linkage is almost certainly the weakest link.

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »
The C14 is not a "fly-by-wire" throttle as some other bikes and cars are, so it must be a mechanical problem.  If the throttle itself is not sticking there could be an issue with an air leak in the intake fooling the ECU, an issue with the FI ECU, an issue with the throttle bodies, the TPS (throttle position sensor), or something similar.  But I'm a strong believer in ruling out the most likely issues first and the mechanical linkage is almost certainly the weakest link.

All I know is I'm pissed off to be honest.  Bike us brand new per say.  I've owned many kawasaki's but this may be the last. I'm gonna pull the tank maybe tomorrow and will report back.  I don't think it's a cable issue at all.  It's probably in the throttle body or computer issues. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
All I know is I'm pissed off to be honest.  Bike us brand new per say.  I've owned many kawasaki's but this may be the last.

If it is any consolation, I have been following the forums for approx 5 years and I have never seen an issue posted about throttle sticking on a Concours like what you describe (that is not simply a kinked cable or one that sits in the elements and just needs some lube).

I wouldn't be too quick to blame Kawasaki- Is it possible someone went in there and did some work on it and caused the problem?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
If it is any consolation, I have been following the forums for approx 5 years and I have never seen an issue posted about throttle sticking on a Concours like what you describe (that is not simply a kinked cable or one that sits in the elements and just needs some lube).

I wouldn't be too quick to blame Kawasaki- Is it possible someone went in there and did some work on it and caused the problem?

No I do all my own work. Never touched the throttle body or cables. Just a Guhls flash and CS1 slip on

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
ok, bike with 3000 miles, and apparently never any reason to believe anyone messed with the cables , throttle, or any such mechanical parts... all this conjecture is really just that...
my guess is while moving it around, you pushed the throttle side grip enough that it is in contact with the right hand grip pod, and simply rubbing against it... look closely.... ive done this a bazillion times... and know right off to look at the grip, and make sure its not rubbing....this seems stupid to say, but even more stupid to blame a manufacturer for something induced by an owner who is unaware of something simple... if you didn't mess with anything mechanical that is in the throttle from grip to t bodies, I'm betting the grip is rubbing on the pod...

why do people make something soo simple into something mechanical, when an owner has so few miles on a bike, and has never messed with anything?

it just baffles me.

oh, by the way, you are the first person to report a throttle hang since the c14 came out... just saying... as I keep good records of these issues.

sooooo let us know what you find, please.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
ok, bike with 3000 miles, and apparently never any reason to believe anyone messed with the cables , throttle, or any such mechanical parts... all this conjecture is really just that...
my guess is while moving it around, you pushed the throttle side grip enough that it is in contact with the right hand grip pod, and simply rubbing against it... look closely.... ive done this a bazillion times... and know right off to look at the grip, and make sure its not rubbing....this seems stupid to say, but even more stupid to blame a manufacturer for something induced by an owner who is unaware of something simple... if you didn't mess with anything mechanical that is in the throttle from grip to t bodies, I'm betting the grip is rubbing on the pod...

why do people make something soo simple into something mechanical, when an owner has so few miles on a bike, and has never messed with anything?

it just baffles me.

sooooo let us know what you find, please.

What do you mean grip pod? Are you talking about the bar ends? If you could please give me a better description I'd appreciate it. Thank you

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 06:49:11 PM »
the switch cluster inboard of the grip.  I usually cut two pieces of ptfe bleach bottle plastic into round "washers" and fit them whenever I do a grip change.. it alows me to spritz in between them with some wd40, to insure I never have a friction problem there.. never did it to my 14, as it still has the grips supplied from '07 on it.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
the switch cluster inboard of the grip.  I usually cut two pieces of ptfe bleach bottle plastic into round "washers" and fit them whenever I do a grip change.. it alows me to spritz in between them with some wd40, to insure I never have a friction problem there.. never did it to my 14, as it still has the grips supplied from '07 on it.

OK I'll check. I will tell you this then it happens and I twist the throttle closed it feels like a metal to metal contact. Like throttle body blades, but I ask myself why only when driving 3/4 throttle or above and not revving or off does it do this.  Grrrrrr. 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
M.O.B., are you saying that when you hear hoof beats look for horses, not zebras?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....