Author Topic: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.  (Read 25854 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 07:09:30 PM »
Have you checked the KIPASS function? ::) It's been blamed for everything else...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
M.O.B., are you saying that when you hear hoof beats look for horses, no zebras?

Huh?

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
Have you checked the KIPASS function? ::) It's been blamed for everything else...

Lol. Nothing surprises me anymore. I'll report back as soon as I figure this out.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
M.O.B., are you saying that when you hear hoof beats look for horses, not zebras?
15,000 engineers and comedians out of jobs... and you are cracking jokes...??? ::) 8) 8) :cool: :stirpot: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

let me drink heavily fro a couple more months, and I'll sell ya my brain..,.  8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
A great many folks on the forum tend to look for a complicated solution before a simple one.  It is generally best to start with the simple things first. In your case, the cables and associated bits and pieces weren't re-routed or otherwise messed with, so it unlikely that they moved themselves. On a bike that new, a vacuum leak is virtually an impossibility. The chances of something like a TPS going bad aren't slim, they're downright anorexic.

Get the idea? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just saying look for the obvious first.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

sailor_chic

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »
MOB, can't you read?  Mr know-it-all,  aka: elp_jc quickly squashed my  thoughts and said that it's is NOT in the throttle sleeve. You need to learn to listen when a brand new C14 owner tells you the way to remedy.
Or wait, was it the fact that a woman came up with the thought first that this may be a source of the problem.

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
A great many folks on the forum tend to look for a complicated solution before a simple one.  It is generally best to start with the simple things first. In your case, the cables and associated bits and pieces weren't re-routed or otherwise messed with, so it unlikely that they moved themselves. On a bike that new, a vacuum leak is virtually an impossibility. The chances of something like a TPS going bad aren't slim, they're downright anorexic.

Get the idea? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just saying look for the obvious first.

I clearly asked for advise I'm only stating what the bike is doing. Am I upset yes and you all would be to.  I'll look more into this tomorrow, but I did check the grip somewhat and it looks fine.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »
lemme know when a real problem occurs, and I diagnose it from 1000 miles away.
when you can do his consistantly, I'll rescind my comments.
thanks.

oh, did you wash your bike recently?
what oil do you use?
what tire pressure.?

oh, never mind, this is rediculous.

Offline tomp

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »
On my 08, the warmer the day, the stickier the throttle.  Some days, the throttle will stay where I twist it, off idle to 3-4K RPM.  Can scare the chit out of me, when I blip the throttle and it stays revved. I believe my throttle tube or grip end is sticking, like sailor _chic said, and I need to silicone lube and teflon tape, as prescribed.  Read other posts stating the same problem and cure.   thanks, ma'am...tp 

FWIW, it feels like I have an engaged Throttle Meister, but I don't have one on the bike... tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 11:23:13 PM »
Can't say for a Connie, never had a problem with it but have had similar issues on other bikes and if the cables aren't binding it has always turned out to be the throttle sleeve not moving freely due to inadequate lubrication or like the situation MoB describes.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
OK I'll check. I will tell you this then it happens and I twist the throttle closed it feels like a metal to metal contact. Like throttle body blades, but I ask myself why only when driving 3/4 throttle or above and not revving or off does it do this.  Grrrrrr.

if it was an issue with the throttle plates, you would likely get a tps error messege,  weeve seen these occur a few times when people are a little forceful removing the secondary butterfly plates, it doesn't take much to tweak the main rod, and even minimal binding on it produces an error code.

elp_jc

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 11:55:05 AM »
aka: elp_jc quickly squashed my  thoughts and said that it's is NOT in the throttle sleeve.
Know it all (that's MOB, by the way)? And playing the woman victim here? Geez; thought you were better than that. Anyway, I simply stated that on a bike with a POSITIVE THROTTLE CLOSING cable working and adjusted properly, if you can close the throttle, binding or not, you close the throttle blades (no air), and no high-rpm rev-hang should occur on a stock bike not designed to do that (some are via a solenoid on the throttle stop). In addition, if throttle is not binding at all when stationary, and with a HOT engine, it's unlikely the problem is with the plastic throttle tube. But it is possible. Remember the guy hasn't found the problem, so at least wait until that happens if you want to play your (fully unwarranted) BS woman victim card.

Now, with the 2 new revelations (a tune and 'metal to metal' contact), he could have TWO problems. If the ECU keeps injecting fuel for a moment with the throttle closed, and the throttle closing cable has some play in it, revhang could occur for a second or so. And the idle air passage alone could allow that even if the throttle plates are closing properly. Therefore, I wouldn't rule out the tune at all. But the culprit could be the tune or a bad TPS (throttle position sensor), so the only way to eliminate it as the rev-hang problem is to put the ECU back to stock and see what happens. Next, the 'metal to metal' contact is a clear sign of a problem somewhere. Therefore, if I was the OP, I'd just flash the ECU back to normal, and if the problem persists (ruling out the tune), take it in under warranty and let a dealer/Kawasaki sort this very weird problem you're having. Good luck.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Know it all (that's MOB, by the way)? And playing the woman victim here? Geez; thought you were better than that. Anyway, I simply stated that on a bike with a POSITIVE THROTTLE CLOSING cable working and adjusted properly, if you can close the throttle, binding or not, you close the throttle blades (no air), and no high-rpm rev-hang should occur on a stock bike not designed to do that (some are via a solenoid on the throttle stop). In addition, if throttle is not binding at all when stationary, and with a HOT engine, it's unlikely the problem is with the plastic throttle tube. But it is possible. Remember the guy hasn't found the problem, so at least wait until that happens if you want to play your (fully unwarranted) BS woman victim card.

Now, with the 2 new revelations (a tune and 'metal to metal' contact), he could have TWO problems. If the ECU keeps injecting fuel for a moment with the throttle closed, and the throttle closing cable has some play in it, revhang could occur for a second or so. And the idle air passage alone could allow that even if the throttle plates are closing properly. Therefore, I wouldn't rule out the tune at all. But the culprit could be the tune or a bad TPS (throttle position sensor), so the only way to eliminate it as the rev-hang problem is to put the ECU back to stock and see what happens. Next, the 'metal to metal' contact is a clear sign of a problem somewhere. Therefore, if I was the OP, I'd just flash the ECU back to normal, and if the problem persists (ruling out the tune), take it in under warranty and let a dealer/Kawasaki sort this very weird problem you're having. Good luck.

do you actually read completely the problem someone describes, with all the minute details they give, before jumping in to impress all with your responses?

you need to put some miles on your bike..

and you ain't winning friends or impressing people in the least when you diss a woman that gave a very simple and concise cure for what most likely is a very simple issue.

I'm soo glad I'm on ignore. ::)

sailor_chic

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »
Now for once I can actually agree with something that you wrote. MOB is a man of great knowledge and he nonchalantly will share his tricks of the trade without the ulterior motive of inflating his own ego.
I heed his advice in such a manner that I will physically make notes so the valuable information won't vanish.

I'm also impressed that you think you know me so well already. First I never stated being a victim, those are now your words.  I'm speaking from experience that I obtain daily. I work in a very masculine, egocentric environment and see women shunned on a daily basis.  Especially when a man's feelings are so easily hurt, ie: when a blonde in a pink hardhat Is encroaching on there KSA (knowledge skills and abilities)  I won't even mention how they cower when I will loosen something they considered tight. So yes, I can say that you're on the edge of being but hurt that I may be in the proper area to remedy the OP problem.
I won't even mention how you were "teaching"  me about wear bars on tires on a different thread. How insulting we that!!!

One last thought,  please don't say that you know me, simply from limited interactions on these forums. If you care to actually know me, let's correspond. Or better yet, lets sit down and enjoy a libation after a day of long riding. Like over 400 miles!

Now back to the topic

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Of course you mean 400 miles before stopping for brunch, don't you? Oh, wait, could that be the 400 after the 400 before brunch? Or the last 400 after the first 800? ::)

sailor_chic

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
Of course  I meant the 400 after the morning 400. Nothing wrong with an 800 mile day.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
If 800 isn't a full day, it's a fine start!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
Of course  I meant the 400 after the morning 400. Nothing wrong with an 800 mile day.

Tell that to my aching back :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
if I'm getting Nicole's drift, I wager on her meaning... you need more than 400 miles on the freaking odometer before you start puking out every spec on the bike, including valve adjusts, and .... other wisdom that metric feelers define better than inch... yeah. ::) ::) ::)
http://www.metricmetal.com/pdfs/inch_mill_smallnumbers.pdf

I know my measurements are at the .000x"

meh

never mind.
I foresee a bike sale, as I've seen before...

Low mileage
Adult ridden
Garage kept.. ( duh..)
no badges... lotsa farkles...

oh, and no factory service manual, (but for a fee, I could recite ad-nausea, just as was done in a movie I love...about a King James Bible, and a Blind man.)

carry on.

to the O/P
I am sorry this rolled downhill, I would sincerely like to know what you find with regard to thee throttle grip, and also the tube, if you loosen the screws and re-position the throttle, and re-tighten it. or pull the grip back from the pod.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 12:34:47 AM »

man
that just sucks :censored:
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie