Author Topic: long ride comfort problems  (Read 16322 times)

Offline Jrodizzle07

long ride comfort problems
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
Hey guys, so I've had my gtr about a year and have been on quite a few decent trips with it. This past week I went on a moderately short one of about 400 miles. Anyways, not long into the trip the back of my thighs like halfway down were killing me, and radiating down leg. Couple days later and still sore. Never had this problem on long trips before.

Stock seat and set up. 32" inseam. Murphs wedges. Set pretty upright.

Any suggestions on what to change out to help with this?

I have canyon cages on order, might try footpegs on them. Also thinking change out seat.

Let me know what helped you guys out because I have a lot of riding planned this year. Thanks!!
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: long ride comfort problems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »
My first guess would be the seat.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
The stock saddle on a C-14 did not work for us either. An hour or two maybe but after that and it became a wrestling match between pain and the desire to keep riding.

It takes a while to outfit a bike for a lot of hours in the saddle in [relative] comfort in my experience. What finally worked for me was an Airhawk on top of a Corbin saddle, Buell pegs, 2" bar risers and a much taller windshield (altogether nearly 10" longer than stock '08 windshield).

The saddle was the tough part. The key seems to spread the load out (ahem, really) as far as possible and get as much weight bearing on the thighs as possible. The easiest thing to try is some type of saddle pad but I found the stock C-14 saddle too narrow and far to curved, front- to- back, to work with any type of cushion. The Corbin is nearly flat and provides a wide, large place as a foundation for an Airhawk, which really does eliminate high pressure points, exactly as they claim it will.

Unfortunately on a motorcycle, the position of the hands, feet and butt are all interrelated and changing something like the peg height will make a saddle and grip position feel very different. There are any number of 'solutions' as well as methods but the only thing I have found is to change one thing at a time and try to dial in on what is causing the discomfort.

Brian

Hey guys, so I've had my gtr about a year and have been on quite a few decent trips with it. This past week I went on a moderately short one of about 400 miles. Anyways, not long into the trip the back of my thighs like halfway down were killing me, and radiating down leg. Couple days later and still sore. Never had this problem on long trips before.

I have canyon cages on order, might try footpegs on them. Also thinking change out seat.

Let me know what helped you guys out because I have a lot of riding planned this year. Thanks!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:30:07 PM »
Same inseam... I had my seat "flattened", and have pegs on my canyon cages... and I don't have the issue you describe.

I have other issues... just not that one.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the Corbin, that'll be the next thing I swap out.
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
I did 1206 miles in a day on the stock seat, it was certainly bearable.  I changed to the Kawi low seat and love it.  Tried a Sargent and didn't like it.  See if anyone local will let you try a few before you buy; the one you think you want might not fit you best.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:32:52 PM »
Jrod, sent you a pm.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
The stock saddle on a C-14 did not work for us either. An hour or two maybe but after that and it became a wrestling match between pain and the desire to keep riding.

It takes a while to outfit a bike for a lot of hours in the saddle in [relative] comfort in my experience. What finally worked for me was an Airhawk on top of a Corbin saddle, Buell pegs, 2" bar risers and a much taller windshield (altogether nearly 10" longer than stock '08 windshield).

The saddle was the tough part. The key seems to spread the load out (ahem, really) as far as possible and get as much weight bearing on the thighs as possible. The easiest thing to try is some type of saddle pad but I found the stock C-14 saddle too narrow and far to curved, front- to- back, to work with any type of cushion. The Corbin is nearly flat and provides a wide, large place as a foundation for an Airhawk, which really does eliminate high pressure points, exactly as they claim it will.

Unfortunately on a motorcycle, the position of the hands, feet and butt are all interrelated and changing something like the peg height will make a saddle and grip position feel very different. There are any number of 'solutions' as well as methods but the only thing I have found is to change one thing at a time and try to dial in on what is causing the discomfort.

Brian

Learned this lesson on the C10, installed a Russell, with it's thigh support 'wings', it was appropriately named Day Long.
Baldwin Saddles (my current saddle ) also offers the 'wings', but slightly modified so you can flat foot a little easier than
the Russell. Still have my Airhawk, you just know that having it in the bag is comfort in itself.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
Same inseam... I had my seat "flattened", and have pegs on my canyon cages... and I don't have the issue you describe.

I have other issues... just not that one.

What other issues do you have? I have more as well, this is just the first one that I'm going to try to fix haha. It's a great bike, just needs a few personal changes to make it even better.
Thanks again for the input everyone. If something can be done to this bike, someone on this forum has done it already, and typically a few different ways too!
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
Just to add: I could not use a stock Corbin for 45 minutes per day without substantial pain :-(   Corbin saddles are like concrete.... only harder.  Mine works for me only with an Airhawk on top of it and when the Airhawk springs a leak, pain follows (seriously).

Brian

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the Corbin, that'll be the next thing I swap out.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks again for the input everyone. If something can be done to this bike, someone on this forum has done it already, and typically a few different ways too!

Also look into the Sargent seats... just search for "seats" and you will find tons of threads of useful info.  For most people, the three things that need to be adjusted/changed the most for comfort are:

1) Seats
2) Handlebar risers
3) Grip covers
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »

There is no substitute for seat time- time in the saddle. To all of a sudden go 400 miles (when that hasn't been done before) is a crash course in pain and frustration. You have to work into it by going on shorter rides of 100-150-200 miles etc. Get off the bike when the first pain arrives and walk around, get a drink. You will find yourself going further and further with time in the saddle, and I recommend getting a Seth Laam leather seat- I love mine after 3 years and many miles. (seat thread!)

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 03:11:21 AM »
Heli-bars and the windscreen after the seat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 04:06:23 AM »
Bear in mind that that any modification to the bars will affect how you sit on the seat..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 05:12:13 AM »
Beer  in mind that that any modification to the bars will affect how you sit on the seat..
c

FIFY Jim

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 11:08:16 AM »
What other issues do you have? ...

Just the mental issues. But riding helps treat those.  ;D
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
Haha don't we all, I think the farkle for those are called pills haha.

Oh, and it wasn't the first long trip I've had on the connie, just the first decent one this year due to work.
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »

I have tried several, including Sargent and the two piece Corbin, which is my fave.

Longest trip so far:  11,200 miles in 12 days.  Not a typo.  Including rain, some hail, 100 degrees+, NYC and DC midday traffic, many back roads, tons of slab flying, and a bunch more stuff.  As you can imagine.  Just over 1500 miles in one 24 hour period.

Changing seats is not enough.  Even if you get risers, peg lowering, crash bar mounted auxiliary pegs, etc.  I have all that too.  My secret remedy is EXERCISE.  Treat long distance riding like an athletic event and TRAIN a little for it.  Double your maximum distance in comfort.  Yes, I was a bit sore anyway.

Dat
Sax
Man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
My secret remedy is EXERCISE. 

You are incredibly right.  All that other stuff helps and can make a big difference.  But being in shape with strong ab/back/side muscles and flexible/limber, really can make a huge difference.  Also, stopping for a few minutes to stretch everything works wonders.

Unfortunately, I *hate* exercise.  But I have to admit, when I do, it can easily double my riding comfort and distance (which is pretty still pretty limited).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BMahar

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
  I have the Russell Day Long Seat and it's made all the difference in the world in riding comfort. The first day I got the seat I rode home from Shasta City, CA, a distance of 350 miles, in complete comfort.
  I just rode to Death Valley and back, on a 5 day trip and the seat is still very comfortable after 35,000 miles on it.
  Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black