Author Topic: long ride comfort problems  (Read 16323 times)

Offline texrider

Re: long ride comfort problems
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
Wearing jeans or pants with relaxed fit/plenty of room helps keep me from getting upper leg pain.
Especially in warmer temps.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
comfort is relative.  I did 900+ mile days on a stock KLR seat and knobby tires

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
I like the looks of that Russell seat! Hey, that KLR looks like a fun set up too!
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
Try wearing a women's gel bicycle shorts as your first layer, it can help quite a bit. The gel really spreads the "load" out uniformly. Why womens? Wish I knew, they just seem to work better. They are very common among off-road bicycle riders.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »
worth every dime in my opinion.....

http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Seat-Pad-AHR/dp/B005LDBU0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429066813&sr=8-1&keywords=airhawk+r

I've been looking at those, the Alaska Leather Sheep Skin, and the beads. Anyone have experience with the sheep skin and/or beads? I have heard good stuff about the airhawks.
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
I've been looking at those, the Alaska Leather Sheep Skin, and the beads. Anyone have experience with the sheep skin and/or beads? I have heard good stuff about the airhawks.
I had made a full length beaded cover for my C10, it helped a bit, and an improvement from the stock saddle. Then I purchased
the sheep skin from Alaska and put it on the beads. The comfort was better, but not for hundreds of miles. Came across a lightly
used Russell Daylong saddle from a member who was upgrading to a C14, and he was almost the same height and weight and
seam size as me! A great find, and what a difference! My first ride with it went for 220+ miles, and my butt and back felt great!
I did put the sheep skin on it for improved air flow, but it wasn't needed. When I sold the C10, I gave the new owner all the
seating options so he could determine which was best for him.
On my '12 C14, an Airhawk is a good option, but it will lift you up an inch+, depending on the amount of air you need. Now, the
'roll' factor is increased on the saddle, as your butt will roll side to side with greater ease than it did on the stock setup because
of the air cushion, but you'll adapt quickly. Then I sat on several different saddles at the National, and decided on a Baldwin. It
was made for ME. I met Loren from Baldwin, and he fitted me right there. That's my solution towards a happy butt!
That's it, I'm done..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 07:33:23 AM »
On my '12 C14, an Airhawk is a good option, but it will lift you up an inch+ , depending on the amount of air you need. Now, the
'roll' factor is increased on the saddle, as your butt will roll side to side with greater ease
than it did on the stock setup because
of the air cushion, but you'll adapt quickly.
You have too much air in it if you're an 1" off of the seat and if you're rolling around as if you're on a beach ball. Follow the instructions on the Airhawk site for proper inflation.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline PH14

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 07:49:47 AM »
comfort is relative.  I did 900+ mile days on a stock KLR seat and knobby tires

I actually find the KLR comfortable. I'm still bummed I missed buying yours when you had it for sale.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 08:06:20 AM »
I actually find the KLR comfortable. I'm still bummed I missed buying yours when you had it for sale.

Thanks - Bugnut from the other forum scooped it up, at least it stayed in our crowd.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
You have too much air in it if you're an 1" off of the seat and if you're rolling around as if you're on a beach ball. Follow the instructions on the Airhawk site for proper inflation.
Well, I never said "Rolling around as if you're on a beach ball". A flattened Airhawk measures at half an inch. Just measured it. I don't
put much air in it, and thanks for asking, but the instructions were followed to the letter. I never said anything bad about the Airhawk,
as I own one, and keep it my bag for long journeys. IN MY OPINION, the Airhawk is a bandaid for a custom saddle.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
I'm kind of afraid most of the seat accessories will just be bandaids until a new seat.. I am thinking the canyon cages with a foot rest will help to change up my position on the highway though. I put the cages on, just waiting for the foot pegs and clamps to come in now. The big thing for me is it's not even my butt itself hurting its halfway down the back of my thigh, getting a pressure point from the edge of the seat. Putting my legs straight out from time to time on the pegs may help enough though, we'll see in a few weeks..
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline Wayne

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
I've come to the conclusion (and I admit it reluctantly) that my Road King was by far more comfortable then any BMW or the Kawasaki. Yes it also needed a seat (a solo from Corbin) after that it was simply very comfortable. The sitting position on sports touring bikes no matter how comfortable your seat ultimately gets still puts pressure on various parts of your body. If like yours truly you're a senior citizen [even in good to great physical condition] spending hours in what I call the  Eddie Arcaro  sitting position is gonna cause pain. That's especially true if you have had a lousy winter with a long layoff and think your body will acquiesce and adjust to riding again on your first few outings. To exemplify my stupidity I actually thought my new Schuberth was broken in and decided to wear new riding pants - so I had all the pain centers covered last weekend. My ass, my groin, my head and neck. I have no clue where my brain was residing last Saturday...
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
I believe you Wayne. If I was just going for comfort, my butt would be in a Goldwing's saddle or an Ultra Limited. One of these days I'm sure I'll transition that way, but for now I still have to have a little more excitement haha.
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »
Everything is a compromise. My Electra Glide was, by far, the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned. Ergonomically,  I found it near perfect. But, comparatively speaking, it was painfully slow. I could probably throw enough money at one and get serious performance, but at what cost? After that, it will still handle like a Harley. 
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »
Yeah, the stock C-14 saddle will do that- bite into the thighs. Most aftermarket saddles are flatter, and while that helps, the only real way I have found to solve the problem is to eliminate the pressure points by using an Airhawk cushion. It did not work for me at all on the stock saddle but on a Corbin, it was the answer to my comfort problems, at least those around my butt. The Corbin / Airhawk combination increased my endurance limit riding a C-14 from about 4 hours to.... well, days.

Brian

I'm kind of afraid most of the seat accessories will just be bandaids until a new seat.. I am thinking the canyon cages with a foot rest will help to change up my position on the highway though. I put the cages on, just waiting for the foot pegs and clamps to come in now. The big thing for me is it's not even my butt itself hurting its halfway down the back of my thigh, getting a pressure point from the edge of the seat. Putting my legs straight out from time to time on the pegs may help enough though, we'll see in a few weeks..
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
Well small update. I put highway pegs on the canyon cages and those seem to be a great investment! I'm still thinking ill get a new seat this summer, but this will help for right now. Now ill just need to put bungies around my pants legs when its cold out so I dont get airflow up my pants haha! Nice in the summer though!
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »
Now ill just need to put bungies around my pants legs when its cold out so I dont get airflow up my pants haha! Nice in the summer though!
Velcro straps. Look at Lowe's, Home Depot or some other hardware place. You should find them in the same area where the plastic holders for extension cords are.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 07:56:39 AM »
Well small update. I put highway pegs on the canyon cages and those seem to be a great investment! I'm still thinking ill get a new seat this summer, but this will help for right now. Now ill just need to put bungies around my pants legs when its cold out so I dont get airflow up my pants haha! Nice in the summer though!

Tukkem in yer boots?

Offline littlebear67502

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
Corbin/Brick.....same same....had one on my C10...threw it in the dumpster at work...IMO