Author Topic: Shocked How Poorly it Handled [until I installed PR4GT's]  (Read 15871 times)

Offline Wayne

Shocked How Poorly it Handled [until I installed PR4GT's]
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:24:26 AM »
As some of you may remember I just acquired my 2011 ten days ago. Between having to register it, getting a cold, a snow storm and rain I finally got to take her on a 90 mile journey to get new tires and fluids changed yesterday. I did road test the bike for 20 minutes (on a 24 degree day with sand, salt and snow to deal with). The test ride wasn't long enough, the controls were new to me and I knew I should have been more thorough so yesterday morning was going to be revealing- a nice ride, country roads with lots of corners to play with. Remember the tires have 5700 miles on them and were worn. Not down to the wear bars but requiring replacement. I was shocked how difficult it was to negotiate curves. Every corner was an adventure. I started reflecting on the short test ride and thinking I made a huge mistake that something wasn't right with this bike. Told my guys about the handling and after they removed the OEM sneakers they installed Michelin Pilot 4 GT's. Went over the bike, all is well - no surprises. I paid my dues and started the 45 mile trip home. All I can say is I had to look down at the bike to make sure it was mine. The handling, response and feedback from the new tires was simply unbelievable. Like transitioning from my Uncle Charlie''s 1988 Gran Marquis to Nissan GTR. Needless to say I was all smiles on the trip home. The Connie felt fabulous in the sweepers as well as on the highway. Got familiar with all the gadgets and certainly looking forward to a great riding season. As you may have already concluded I recommend the Pilot 4 GTs. How the previous owner put up with the horrible handling is a mystery.
Wayne

[Edit: changed thread subject to reflect topic contents  -Max]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:09:41 PM by maxtog »
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: Shocked How Poorly it Handled [until I installed PR4GT's]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:41:58 AM »
Yes the OEM tires ..... well ..... suck!!!!!  :deadhorse:

You've selected a great replacement (that's what I'm running). There are also a others like the Angle GT's that have gotten very good reviews here on the forum.

So now go out and ride and learn what she can do.  :thumbs:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:17:30 AM »
to those of you who are going to smile about their choice and having mounted the Pilot 4 GT, I have a question: how about the grip? is it confidence inspiring? I got Pilot Power 3 mounted on mine and love the grip, but in the cold they seem to give up a bit. Thoughts?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:05:31 AM »
is it confidence inspiring? IMHO, yes!

in the cold they seem to give up a bit. Thoughts? All tires will give up some when they are cold. With this being a known issue (well to me), I don't push it in the corners as much when the tempatures drop.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
Martin
I can only assume the grip was much improved after the P4s were mounted. That said it was 23 degrees on the way up and 42 on the way back.
There were no hard stops or at the limit cornering going home only pure, unadulterated happiness...
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:50:13 AM »
The only thing worse than the OEM stones are worn out OEM stones. You went from probably the worst tires you could have on the bike to one of the best.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
Any time you replace old worn tires with new ones it will  feel better, no matter what kind they are.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jonathan

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
to those of you who are going to smile about their choice and having mounted the Pilot 4 GT, I have a question: how about the grip? is it confidence inspiring? I got Pilot Power 3 mounted on mine and love the grip, but in the cold they seem to give up a bit. Thoughts?

A performance tire will not tolerate cold like a touring tire will.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »
How the previous owner put up with the horrible handling is a mystery.

ahhh..that's why he sold it. If he had only changed the tires he'd still be the owner.   ;D

On a recent trip I noticed that my PR4s (with maybe 2500 miles on them) seem to steer heavy (lots of counter steer force needed to start a turn) when I first started out in the morning as we left the hotel.
Thinking I had a low tire, I would immediately check the pressure readout and it would show 41 lbs. I would go just a bit farther and all would be well ..or...I just got used to it. Not sure which, but the pressure would then be around 42-43 with outside air temps still in the upper 40s lower 50s.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »

So far so good, but I don't really push mine all that much.   I have been riding in fairly cold weather (40's/50's) with the PR4GT and I am impressed. 

Cold grip can be a challenge with ultra-high-performance tires.  The tires on my G37 were old but not worn out.... and still were sticking OK in the summer.  But as soon as the temps started getting cold they were useless because they were getting hard from being old AND performance tires don't like cold. 

My problem with the new tires on the G37 is that they seem to "deform" when they get all hot from driving, then when I park the car they seem to "pool" a bit near the base and solidify that way.  Then the next ride they feel out of balance and a little thumpy... until I ride for 10+ minutes at higher speed and they are back to normal again when warmed up.  Quite annoying.  First time I have experienced this behavior on any tire on any vehicle.  A friend of mine said it is actually not all that uncommon when dealing with higher performance tires.  Since he is a race mechanic, I choose to believe him.

Anyway, the PR4GT is probably going to stick better in all conditions, since it is a touring tire.  I wouldn't want to race on them (not sticky enough, and I wouldn't race anyway) because they are not going to stick like high-performance tires, but they will do what most of us need- decent stick all the time, great wet traction, and great cold performance while having a great tire life.  Just stay away from ice/snow :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »
Any time you replace old worn tires with new ones it will  feel better, no matter what kind they are.
this.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tomp

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
Not to start an OIL thread, but on PR4's, are the heavier side walled GT's better/worse/same for our bike than the standard PR4's.  Have almost 5K miles on my Z8's and the are starting to flatten in the center, as most miles are from work commutes.  No problem with the Z8's, but want to go to the PR's, like on my RT.  Which is going to give me better mileage the 4's or the 4 GT's?  No canyons to carve in the Gulf Coast...just lots of back and forth miles.   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:37 PM »
Not to start an OIL thread, but on PR4's, are the heavier side walled GT's better/worse/same for our bike than the standard PR4's.   Which is going to give me better mileage the 4's or the 4 GT's? 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18874.msg234830#msg234830
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:22 PM »
Every time I keep up with my buddies while their knee pucks are pressed against the road i remember I'm ridin' second to none michelins. shyte tires shouldn't be on  any bike one pushes in a turn

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tomp

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
this.
Thanks.  I do remember that thread.  Longer life, but too stiff, or not too stiff.  Kinda like an oil/air pressure thread.  Every response is accurate and possibly correct or incorrect. 

How about a 55 series GT?  The best of both worlds?  This will become much more important to me in a few months, for sure, as time for a new rear tire will become mandatory.   Again, thanks.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:11 AM »
I bought my C-14 from a guy who admitted to me (after he sold the bike) that he was scared of the spooky handling in the corners- only 2,100 miles were ridden in 3 years when he sold it. The C-14 is very sensitive to tires, psi and ambient temperatures- much more so than any bike I have owned. That being said, once you buy a tire like the PR2, 3's or 4's, it transforms the C-14 into a proper S/T. I'm on my 3rd set of Michelins, this time a set of PR4's with rear '55' that the dealer said would be more like the PR2's that I wanted. He claims the GT's are too stiff for the bumpy roads of the real world. Anyway, I'm lovin' these tires and so is Black Bear. 

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 02:39:39 AM »
+1
It's just that there are old tires and old tires. I think that if I went from my worn out Angel STs (haven't had the chance to try the GTs yet) or Pilot Power to brand new OEM Bridgestones, I would still feel that I went down a few notches not only in grip, but most of all in handling :battle: In fact, looking at my front tire now (really worn out Pilot Power with about 8000 miles) it still looks fairly round, whereas when I had the Crapstones, after just 5000 miles they looked like one of those original Bialetti espresso pots.

Every time I keep up with my buddies while their knee pucks are pressed against the road i remember I'm ridin' second to none michelins. shyte tires shouldn't be on  any bike one pushes in a turn
Do you think that the PR4s have better grip than the PP3? If it is similar, that might swing it for me.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
Had the PR3's on my 2012 when I bought it last year. Switched to PR4GTs this winter and love them! Of course, the ride was already amazing compared to my Vmax I was used to haha! That likes straight, flat, and fast  :o
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:18 AM »
I guess I just don't push my bike as hard as most of you, or because I jump on different bikes all the time I just don't notice it.

I ran the stock tires until they were gone.  Put PR3s on until they were gone.  Put a Contimotion on the back during a trip and kept it till it was gone, and have had PR4s for a season. 

The only difference I notice is when going from a worn tire to a new tire.  Doesn't matter what that new tire is.

I will say though that the PR4s are very confidence inspiring in the rain and the Connie is my go to rain bike.  You can ride between the drops on this machine.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 05:10:35 AM »
+1, I didn't have any issues on the stockers but then I came from an 02-C10 and a 94 Voyager......anything would have been an improvement.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.