Author Topic: Shocked How Poorly it Handled [until I installed PR4GT's]  (Read 15870 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Shocked How Poorly it Handled [until I installed PR4GT's]
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 06:40:18 AM »
just a question: what is this thread doing here? where's the accessory or the modification?
Bucking for a job?

elp_jc

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Cold grip can be a challenge with ultra-high-performance tires.
THIS is extremely important for people to realize, whether bike or car. There're over a dozen STREET tire classifications for a reason. That's why you don't want to use a tire that has more performance than you absolutely need. On sport-touring machines, you don't need more than a sport-touring tire even at peg-scraping lean angles on the STREETS (I'm not talking about track riding here folks). And that's exactly what I use, and never an issue, and I consider myself an aggressive rider.

Same with cars. Most sports cars have either 'max summer' or 'extreme summer' tires, those being the top classifications of STREET tires, in that order (some cars are now fitted with 'cup' tires, but I don't consider those 'street', even though they're DOT approved). That kind of tire grips like hell in the summer (that's why they're called summer tires), meaning they need HEAT. In cooler/colder weather, you never heat them up remotely close enough to even have modest grip. In fact, those tires have much less grip when cold than a normal all-season tire. You have to be aware of that if you drive a high-performance car in winter. I use the GTR in winter, which even with its AWD, fishtails all over the place at the least provocation when tires/pavement are cold. And almost as easily in the middle of a cold, sunny day. Have to be careful in the curves. And where you're pointing the steering wheel if you get frisky with the throttle ;D. Learn how to judge tire grip until your tires get hot enough for SAFE hard cornering.

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
Dropped mine off today to have front tire pressure sensor replaced under warranty and told them to put my new pr4 gt tires on since they have to replace the sensor,I'll pick her up tomorrow. 

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
I'm on my second set of PR4 GT's. The first set was changed at 11k miles and probably could have gone longer before having to change them. The mechanic at the kawi dealership told me that the PR4 GT should last around 15k miles...anyone?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
I'm sure that depends on who is doing the riding...  Some here would be lucky to get 8k miles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
That's true. I'm pretty easy on her...I ride for pleasure and the beauty of it. No hardcore stuff here!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 08:00:22 AM »
That's true. I'm pretty easy on her...I ride for pleasure and the beauty of it. No hardcore stuff here!

I find it very very difficult to ride within 10 MPH of the speed limit when I am on the Concours.  This bike requires me to be constantly glancing at the speedo when there is no one in front of me on the road. 

Of course, it is pleasurable and glides through the curves at a lot higher speeds than my cruisers.  Almost boring actually.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline tomp

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 08:16:04 AM »
I find it very very difficult to ride within 10 MPH of the speed limit when I am on the Concours.  This bike requires me to be constantly glancing at the speedo when there is no one in front of me on the road. 

Of course, it is pleasurable and glides through the curves at a lot higher speeds than my cruisers.  Almost boring actually.
Strange, I find it the easiest bike to ride at posted limits.  So steady at 35, 45, 65, or 75 continual speeds.  My RT is a different story.  Ten over is the minimum it feels right riding, atany time.  Simply no sensation of speed, even at 80+. (those are MPH #'s.)    tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
I'm sure that depends on who is doing the riding...  Some here would be lucky to get 8k miles.
I haven't managed to get more than 6800 miles from a rear tire, sometimes as little as 3800 :battle:
3 sets of Crapstones, then switched to Angels, had a Dunlop, and now I'm on my second Pilot Power. Bike has 60 000 miles on it.

Lucky you. I find it impossible...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
All I know is that speed limits here on the freeways of So. Cal. are 65mph and I'm always at 80+ so I guess I have a hard time keeping it within 10mph of the posted limit too  :finger_fing11: I don't think my bike likes to go any slower than 80 anyway  ;D!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline tomp

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
All I know is that speed limits here on the freeways of So. Cal. are 65mph and I'm always at 80+ so I guess I have a hard time keeping it within 10mph of the posted limit too  :finger_fing11: I don't think my bike likes to go any slower than 80 anyway  ;D!
You would do ok in Texas, as most of our highway speed limits are set at 75.   Staying under 85 will normally keep the citations at bay.
Living in the Texas Coast...

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 10:20:31 PM »
Have had GT's on my bike for 8500 Km's (5281 mi)now, just wondering how many miles to expect from them. I know some of us ride more aggressively then others but would like to know how many clicks some are getting before replacement.

:chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »
Have had GT's on my bike for 8500 Km's (5281 mi)now, just wondering how many miles to expect from them. I know some of us ride more aggressively then others but would like to know how many clicks some are getting before replacement.

In this post: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19184.msg237681#msg237681 earlier in this thread, "Hellbender" reports 11K on his first set and also asked about others' experiences.

The PR4 is a rather new tire and I would guess few owners of them would have had enough time to yet to wear them out.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 06:48:40 AM »
In this post: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19184.msg237681#msg237681 earlier in this thread, "Hellbender" reports 11K on his first set and also asked about others' experiences.

The PR4 is a rather new tire and I would guess few owners of them would have had enough time to yet to wear them out.

I've worn out 1 set and almost done on the second set. About 8k on the rear. The front could definitely go more but last year I replaced both before a long trip. Will probably do the same in the coming weeks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:13 PM »
I've worn out 1 set and almost done on the second set. About 8k on the rear. The front could definitely go more but last year I replaced both before a long trip. Will probably do the same in the coming weeks.

:) You are one of those few special people :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc