Author Topic: Rotella T6 or Kawasaki S4 Synthetic  (Read 32166 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rotella T6 or Kawasaki S4 Synthetic
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 09:09:32 AM »
I think one of the very important things to remember is that while certain oils seem to behave better regarding shifting, I do not think any of them make much difference regarding actual lubrication properties. I believe all modern oils to be simply outstanding and will absolutely do a great job of, well, doing their job of lubricating the internal parts (Easy Boys!).

But the really, really slick shifting oil is 3 qts. of Rotella 15W-40 (mineral oil), a little more than a quart of Pennzoil 10W-40 (mineral oil- the 'plain Jane' auto oil read: cheap) and enough cam break- in lube to raise the ZDDP level to about 1,500 to 1,800 PPM. Turns the oil a very attractive red also, which is nice when trying to decide if your bike is leaking or the oil was already there in the parking lot. Seriously, this is a GREAT shifting bucket 'o stuff and retains its good shifting manners a long time. It is like sex.... only good!

Brian

<snip>

After some major forum badmouthing of  T6 I did a back-to-back Blackstone Labs oil analysis comparison with  $21 T6 and Motul's best, most expensive ($54)synthetic and the results did not show any significant advantage for the Motul. In fact Blackstone recommended increasing the interval with the T6 but not the Motul.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
I may have to try that. How did you come up with that cocktail?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
Well, I tried Pennzoil 'cause I had it and it was by far, the best oil regarding shifting the C-14 I have ever tried. But it does not retain that property for long- less than 1K miles and it is clunky shifting. I had been using Rotella 5W-40 with pretty good success until they changed the formulation, the major factor of which was to reduce the extreme wear package (ZDDP) to the new gummit standards of 800 PPM. I have a bit of a background in tribology and it was not difficult to find some extremely high ZDDP content material (cam break- in lube is great) to dump in the oil and raise the ZDDP back to where 'it should be'. But still the new formulation Rotella synthetic was not as good as the older stuff, at least IMO and in my bike, so I went looking again for another oil. Went to the tried 'n true 'Fleet oils' that have been used for gazillions of miles in the most demanding vehicles on the planet: Rotella, Delo, Devlac, all mineral oils, all 15W-40 weight. All worked well but were and all maintain their original characteristics for 4K miles at least (all I care about- I change oil by that time anyway) but they did not shift <quite> as well as Pennzoil. Plus the 15W cold viscosity is a bit much at below 35F temps. on starting (I ride all year in well below freezing temperatures). So I cut the 15W-40 with a bit of 10W-40 and it helps with the cold starting, even in summer. The ZDDP helps shifting and clutch action.

And as a no- cost extra, it drives some of the purists out there absolutely nuts because 1) they think that oils should not be mixed and 2) no one but an oil company can possibly improve a motor oil. And if you cannot irritate a pompous ass with a stick up his (or her) butt, why bother getting out of bed?   :rotflmao:

Brian

I may have to try that. How did you come up with that cocktail?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »
Rotella T6 has been serving me well for >93,000 miles.  I only want 200,000 miles from this oil, because then I'll be parting my bike out on ebay

I'm going to run Rotella T6 for around 5,000 miles this time, then have Blackstone Labs give me an oil analysis.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
So, most of my riding is in extreme heat and at high speeds for extended periods.  Since I have started riding that way I have ridden only air cooled bikes. No, I didn't decide to get an air cooled bike to ride that way, I had an air cooled bike THEN started riding that way.  ::) Crossing the Sonoran Desert at 85+ mph on a 105+ degree day my oil temp was about 265 for 100+ miles at a time. I ran Lucas Synthetic 20-50 exclusively. Would it behoove me to step up to 20-50 and use a synthetic blend or stick to the 15-40 conventional in my Concours?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
Brian, what is the ingredient we need for smooth shifting? Whatever it is, I'd agree the Mobil 4t has it, the rotella, not so much. Is it that zddp?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »
Vodka?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »
Vodka?

Isn't that the answer to all questions/problems? Consume enough and you won't care WHAT oil you use.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
The answer is 42...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »
More of a mid-range vodka...haven't tried it.  Tend to stick with top shelf for me and bike.  But I guess it's worth a shot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »
But 42 is the  Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
ZDDP seems to have a big impact on shifting. That said, Pennzoil shifts fantastic (when new) and that stuff certainly meets the 800 PPM ZDDP limit. ?? So to directly answer your question, I am not sure.... but ZDDP directly does go a long way to slicking up the shifting of a motorcycle.

I believe the bottom line is an EP or extreme pressure additive. ZDDP is only one type of this but the most commonly used one in motor oil. In rear end grease (Boys!) uses an EP package that is based on sulfer, hence the terrible smell of that stuff. Graphite is another one but generally not used in motor oil as it will end up as carbon inside the exhaust path in the head usually. And we cannot use that one as it can glaze clutch plates that ride in the engine's oil bath. The other one is chlorine based, though I doubt any motor oils contain that as it attacks zinc (see the irony of it being an EP lube in competition with Zinc?) and that would be hard on a lot of parts in engines, especially brass. So I think ZDDP is about the only choice for the EP package in motor oil.

Brian

Brian, what is the ingredient we need for smooth shifting? Whatever it is, I'd agree the Mobil 4t has it, the rotella, not so much. Is it that zddp?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 01:25:52 PM »
But 42 is the  Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

And is also part of the great idea.

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate all the info. I've decided to go with Kawasaki S4. It will be roughly the same price as Rotella T6 here in Canada (not that it mattered). I've done allot of researching and have not found any shifting complaints with Kawy brand but found numerous with Rotella with all makes of bikes. I was looking for an oil that I could also use in my 2007 Vulcan 900 and my 2013 Kawasaki Jet Ski STX 15. I think the Kawy oil will serve me best.

BTW...Anyone know why Kawasaki would spec the exact same oil in a Jet Ski as the Concours? The Jet Ski has a ZX 14 based engine but does not have a gear box and clutches. One would think that regular car oil would suffice.

End of oil thread...... :chugbeer: 
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
End of oil thread...... :chugbeer:

Only 3 pages....I think not.

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »

Ok then....which oil would be best for my Jet Ski? ;D
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
They use oil?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »

Certainly not.  An oil thread should be at least 4 pages.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 05:02:11 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline almightys

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 04:13:06 AM »
For us Americans, retell a is on sale at pep boys @$24 per 4qt jug and use code secret35 for 35% off that price