Author Topic: Rotella T6 or Kawasaki S4 Synthetic  (Read 32015 times)

Offline Frank ZZR

Rotella T6 or Kawasaki S4 Synthetic
« on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Don't mean to start another long oil thread but I'm trying to decide on a couple of oils. I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 (not JASO) for the the last 15yrs on various bikes. I found that it's getting a little harder to find and the price has gone up to $13.75 litre (Canada). I'm going to be changing brands on my next oil change and trying to decide between Rotella T6 5W-40 ($9.40 litre) and Kawasaki Synthetic 10W-40 ($10.00 litre). Walmart sells a 5 litre jug of Rotella for $47.00, not quite the deal that you folks down south are getting. Any thoughts? Steve, I already know your answer  ;D
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rotella T6 or Kawasaki S4 Synthetic
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
Well, at least you started an oil thread with a warning.....  :rotflmao:

And now for something completely different: try the oil(s) you want and note how the bike shifts when using them. Then put 1,000  to 1,500 miles on the oil and again pay attention to the shifting qualities: the ease of moving the shift lever, the smoothness of the shift, the engagement zone of the clutch and things like that. Because this bike actually shifts and clutches very nicely (actually extremely nicely), the difference in oils is really pretty easy to tell just going by shifting. I personally find the new Rotella synthetic T6 to shift quite poorly but again, I suggest you try it and judge for yourself.

Those are my thoughts on oil selection as I believe any labeled, branded oil of anywhere near the viscosity rating recommended will do a fantastic job of lubricating the engine. Might as well pick the one that allows it to behave as smoothly as possible.

Brian

Don't mean to start another long oil thread but I'm trying to decide on a couple of oils. I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 (not JASO) for the the last 15yrs on various bikes. I found that it's getting a little harder to find and the price has gone up to $13.75 litre (Canada). I'm going to be changing brands on my next oil change and trying to decide between Rotella T6 5W-40 ($9.40 litre) and Kawasaki Synthetic 10W-40 ($10.00 litre). Walmart sells a 5 litre jug of Rotella for $47.00, not quite the deal that you folks down south are getting. Any thoughts? Steve, I already know your answer  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »
Thanks Brian. I've done many searches and I'm well aware how you feel about Rotella. It's funny how one person thinks it's the greatest (Steve) and the next thinks it's terrible. I guess you are right, I can try it and see for myself. It's just too bad I have to pay 50 bucks to find I don't like it. :( 
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
If you find that you don't like it, do a CC50. By the time you get home (5 days later, ok, maybe 6) you'll be due for another oil change.  :D
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
$50 for Rotella? Last I saw it on sale, it was something like $20 a gallon. ??

Besides, you have to change the oil now and then anyway so it is not like trying a new brand / type is a waste of money. While I do not care for the shifting qualities of T6, it is not awful or unusable oil or anything so trying it is not a waste of money IMO.

And by the way, I really, really like Rotella- but the 15W-40 mineral oil, not the new T6. :-)

Brian

Thanks Brian. I've done many searches and I'm well aware how you feel about Rotella. It's funny how one person thinks it's the greatest (Steve) and the next thinks it's terrible. I guess you are right, I can try it and see for myself. It's just too bad I have to pay 50 bucks to find I don't like it. :(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »
I agree 100% with Brian.

Rotella does not shift well in my yz 250, concours 14, ninja 1000, or sv 650.  I am sure its is an excellent oil, but I wont try it again in my bikes.

It has to sound crazy that one oil is different than another, but when it comes to shifting, its true.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:39:23 PM by rcannon409 »

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
T6 in my connie & even with 5,000 miles shifts smooth as silk !!!!!
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline UhOh

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:58:10 PM »
Wow, $10/l for Kawasaki syn 10W-40!   I paid $14+/qt before sales tax - so about $15.20/qt.
'Tis my first use of Kawa Syn 10w-40   

So in terms of shift quality of synthetics this is my C-14 experience:

less than 1000 miles:
A) Mobil 1 10W-40, Kawasaki Syn 10W-40 shifted best, then
B) Redline 10W-40

over 2000 miles:
A) Redline 10W-40, Kawasaki Syn 10W-40
B) Mobil 1 10W-40

I'm not explaining this^^^, only observing ...

Have Kawa Syn 10W-40 in C-14 now and expect to be a Kawasaki Syn 10W-40 user going forward.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:58:44 PM by maxtog »

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
I've used Lucas 20-50 synth and think it shifts just great.... But now that I've read this thread I'm going to pay special attention to how my C14 shifts on the next ride.

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies. not sure why you are paying that much for kawy oil. MSRP on the Kawasaki. Ca website is 11.56 per litre. It would be less in the US. If you buy where you bought your bike they should give you a bit of a discount on the msrp. anyone else with good results with the Kawasaki synthetic?
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline katata1100

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
I get my Redline 5-40 oil from a local lubricant wholeseller who sells Redline to the public (some of their oils,like Honda, the don't).
I think I pay around $8.50 a qt, minimum purchase a case of 12.
Now, I am not saying that you should go with redline; I am saying to whip out the phone book and look for oil stores,check prices. Company branded stuff like Honda Line, Yamahalube, Kawasaki, you'll not very likely be able to get wholesell pricing. But other stuff... maybe
I personally don't like Rotella since they reformulated it, but I do have a real hard time paying over ten bucks a qt for oil, even if it has oil squeezed from the anal glands of unicorns!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »
No problem getting T6 to shift smoothly.  Or the Rotella dino oil.

97,733 miles currently.  5,000-12,000 miles between oil changes.  Zoom.

Dat
Sax
Man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 05:04:22 AM »

I don't like Rotella myself. Tried it a couple times in a Kawi Z1000 that I had, and even then it was only because a friend sold me two 4L jugs of it for something like $20 each (he was moving to Alberta...lol). I found that the Rotella shifted nicely for the first bit but broke down quickly/quicker and it actually felt worse later. Just my own experience.
Otherwise, I run the Kawi S4 full synthetic, and have been using it in a half a dozen different Kawi's over the past 10+ years. I get the Kaw S4 at the local dealer for around $35 per 4L jug....that's less than $9/Liter.
For oil that I know is good for less than $9 per liter, I'm not running around looking for anything else.
As a rule, I usually don't want anything badly enough to actually go to a Wal-Mart to get it...lol. I hate the place.

Oh, and as far as oil goes overall, the rider cares much more about it that your engine does. ;)

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

sailor_chic

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 05:12:49 AM »
I get my Redline 5-40 oil from a local lubricant wholeseller who sells Redline to the public (some of their oils,like Honda, the don't).
I think I pay around $8.50 a qt, minimum purchase a case of 12.
Now, I am not saying that you should go with redline; I am saying to whip out the phone book and look for oil stores,check prices. Company branded stuff like Honda Line, Yamahalube, Kawasaki, you'll not very likely be able to get wholesell pricing. But other stuff... maybe
I personally don't like Rotella since they reformulated it, but I do have a real hard time paying over ten bucks a qt for oil, even if it has oil squeezed from the anal glands of unicorns!

Did you say phone book?   :rotflmao:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 05:31:48 AM »
 :rotflmao: Some of us Luddites still use them. If I had a smart phone it would just do dumb things.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:59:01 AM by gPink »

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 06:54:03 AM »
Gotta love an oil thread. I've put 275,000 miles on my last two bikes with Rotella T6, 134,000 on the C14. I have never had any problems with shifting except for the time my shift lever adjuster was loose. Once I started reading about the shifting complaints others had with Rotella, I started paying closer attention and sure enough, just before my last oil change I think I notice a slight difference in shift quality. I checked my records and it had been 6900 since the last jug of T6. So the next day I put in another jug and it did seem to shift a little better.

So I have always wondered about reports of shift quality as well as various other aspects of the Concours 14 mentioned on the forums that I have never noticed such as poor handling Bridgestones, too short windshield and risers, etc.  and I have concluded that I must be an insensitive clod.  ??? Or it could more likely be the fact that I ride three other very different bikes on a regular basis so I am accustomed to very different riding  inputs.

As for T6 it has been quite a while so I will post again for the newer members. After some major forum badmouthing of  T6 I did a back-to-back Blackstone Labs oil analysis comparison with  $21 T6 and Motul's best, most expensive ($54)synthetic and the results did not show any significant advantage for the Motul. In fact Blackstone recommended increasing the interval with the T6 but not the Motul.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
I whipped mine out the other day as my  :censored: ing cable was cut for my computer access by the very company that provides it.   :censored: 's had the nerve to say they would bill me if it was my fault.  I told them that would be very bad on their part to do such a thing as it was working before the cable work and now it's not.   :censored: ing idiots.  Cable company found two cuts in the line.  I never thought of using my smart phone to look up their number... :doh: .

I use Mobil 4T.  The shifting appears to stay smoother longer with that oil.  Used Kwackers brand in the past and it was probably the worse oil I've used, but then again I'm  :nuts: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »
Oh, it was a phone book you whipped out. Pays to read the whole post I guess.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »
I never said it was the phone book did I?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.